Life came from space

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Me Too. The way I see it, anything worth learning about the universe can be learned without talking to a single other human. This may seem strange because our science is so greatly enhanced by our community. But there is no reason why someone born and raised in complete isolation could not derive all of the known laws of nature experimentally with no inherent limit to accuracy. However, that same person could never-ever derive any of the particulars of a religion given infinite time and resources. (just a thought experiment, not to be taken too literally)

I understand where you're coming from. Sounds very Ayn Randian. You're saying the universe is an objective reality, and that any rational being should come to the same conclusions given the same data. Make sense at the most logical level.

To play devil's advocate, I could say that if humans think the same, than two humans given the same inputs should also come up with the same supertitious explanations for the observations!;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Me Too. The way I see it, anything worth learning about the universe can be learned without talking to a single other human.

But don't forget: I was only able to see that far, because I was standing on the shoulder of Giants.

The scientific method is a good idea for people, who have only one life to live.

MAraujo

Reaction score
You're saying the universe is an objective reality, and that any rational being should come to the same conclusions given the same data. Make sense at the most logical level.

In a way, yes I am saying the universe has an objective reality, though truth be told I'm not sure I totally buy it myself.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In a way, yes I am saying the universe has an objective reality, though truth be told I'm not sure I totally buy it myself.

Well, sensors are never seeing the objective reality... that is one of the biggest problems in science. You always have measurement errors, that is a annoying reality.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If I was arguing for the existence of that pink (but invisible and undetectable) unicorn in my garage, how would you respond?

I would ask you what its name is. I am not in your garage, so I cannot say whether or not the unicorn exists or not. All I know of the unicorn is what you tell me. Just the same, all I know about science, the universe, it's origin, is what I read in textbooks and on the Internet or see on TV. I have not the resources to perform experiments on my own, so I must have faith that they know what they are talking about, even though I have no proof whatsoever myself. I must believe their facts, though I cannot see the experiments. It comes down to a matter of trust. I trust them because they say they have proven this or that, though I have never personally experienced the proof. I believe in something I haven't seen because others claim they have. ;)