LHC & Time based experiments?

hypersonic

Ancient Starship
Reaction score
Just curious,
Considering that the LHC, once fully operational again will be able to push particles to near as damn it relatavistic speeds, particles as heavy as Lead even!!..

I was curious, the particles themselves will be well within the realms of experiencing all kinds of exotic phenomenon .. increasing density?, space-time dilation possibly & so on...

Are there experiments or potential ways in which the Egg heads as CERN might be thinking of how to observe & measure the effects of near light speed travel etc?

Cheers
Al

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Egg heads" at CERN brought you the internet... so have some respect :p:lol:;)

The point of LHC is to reproduce the conditions really really early after the big bang and to observe the particles that make up matter... if the last particle predicted by the Standard Model of particle Physics that hasn't been found yet is found...... well, the egg heads will throw a big party.

steph

Reaction score
The particles themselves certainly experience stuff like length contraction, time dilation and so on . But I don't know if they plan to measure it in any way.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The issue, as far as I can tell, is that any relativistic effects are just that: relative. The particles to us will appear simply to be travelling very very fast, whereas we would actually have to 'be' the particles themselves to experience - or measure - any relativistic stuff.

And getting a sensor, or chronograph to travel at 99.99%c is a whole different story to a handful of particles

Max Pain

Reaction score
As far as I know there are two effects of special relativity measurable in the LHC:

1. Time dilation through the Half-life-periods of the particles.

2. Relativistic mass increase through the centrifugal force. Therefore they need stronger magnets to keep the particles on their circular path.

toddhisattva

Reaction score
Web

"Egg heads" at CERN brought you the internet... so have some respect :p:lol:;)
"They" brought the Web, not the Internet, which was a US DoD project. The Internet is the railroad system, the Web is a multimedia cargo train service running on the railroad system.

I remember when that Arpanet was the rage, oh boy we're using government computers to talk about Star Trek!! Such bad people we were.

BTW, I respect the egg-heads at CERN, so much that I wish some of them worked in Waxahachie!

(I have collider envy.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"They" brought the Web, not the Internet, which was a US DoD project. The Internet is the railroad system, the Web is a multimedia cargo train service running on the railroad system.

Actually, the Internet went a long way from the Arpanet, with many improvements taking place inside the CERN. The HTTP/HTML stuff came much later in history. And of course before Al Gore invented the Internet. ;)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Internet as you know it was brought to you by private enterprenuers, who understood the implications of the thing and made it grow at a ridiculous pace in just a few years. Government could invent a gold-egg-laying goose and not know what to do with it, unless they could find a way to kill or imprison people with gold eggs.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The particles themselves certainly experience stuff like length contraction, time dilation and so on . But I don't know if they plan to measure it in any way.

The relativistic effects are a pain in the ass for the LHC, they have to account for them in shaping the magnetic fields and in taking measurements from all the experiments.

(edit) Oh, I've just realised that this thread is a year old.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I didn't want to start a new thread in case it caused a time paradox. Those long winter nights just fly by.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just to make the necroposting more severe:

Today, 55 years ago, CERN was founded.