Launch Watching

Pquardzvaark

Reaction score
Hey, I was thinking about trying to go Cape Canaveral to see one of those last Shuttle launches. Anyway, just wondering if anyone's done that before and if so if you've got any advice. Not being from Florida seems to make it a semi-impossible venture considering the schedule is due to fluctuate.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you are planning to watch it from KSC, obviously arrive early, and bring money. When I went you could pay to enter the visitor complex and watch it on a big screen (not worth it IMHO), but you could also buy another ticket to be transported to a closer place where you could watch it launch. It's pretty far away but you can still see it with the naked eye, and even better with binoculars.

I believe the other option is finding a place outside the complex for watching it.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
From my experience growing up, this is the best spot to watch the launches for free:
http://www.titusville.com/Page.asp?NavID=211
(Rotary Riverfront Park 4141 S Washington Avenue (US1), Titusville)

Get there early in the morning (or as early as it will open if it's a morning launch) to grab one of the parking spots in front of the water (use the south parking lot with the pier, as the north one has an obstructed view). This site is fairly unique because it seems like you have lower vegitation on the other side of the river to look through from this angle, giving you a superior view to most other free locations.

Here's a photo I took from this park of the last launch:
3357975377_6a02d5968c_b.jpg

Alternatively, you can park at Paul's Smoke House restraunt for a fee ($10 roughly). The catch is they don't start letting people in till a few hours before launch. By that time all the good parking spots are taken and some have resorted to waiting in line at Paul's just to get in. There is usually sitting room available right up to launch though, so I would have it in mind as a backup plan - the trick is to park at the mall across the street on US1 and walk it. For the best view where you're not looking over a stranger's shoulder, grab a spot early and hope they don't scrub. You should plan to be here for at least a few days (long weekend perhaps?) to increase your odds of seeing it launch.

Pquardzvaark

Reaction score
Well thanks. I'll keep this in mind if and when I go down to Florida to watch one.

Regardless, I was a bit more concerned about scheduling since I live in New York, so a Shuttle launch would be part of a larger trip. Delay's usually don't run for more than a few days, correct? So say planning it for the first day or two of a trip down there out of a week should be fine, right?

Anyway, thanks again!

Messierhunter

Reaction score
It's always a gamble. Usually delays are resolved within 24-48 hrs, but sometimes it can take several attempts to get a shuttle off the pad. Other times they launch on the very first attempt without a problem. I'm sure someone could quote you the statistics, but it seems lately that a lot of missions have gone off on the first attempt. That will change as we get into the late spring/early summer months and daily thunderstorms come through. Weather is probably the most common delay, so your odds of seeing it launch on time are better in winter.

Pquardzvaark

Reaction score
Alright, thanks again. The problem is being in university basically means I have to go during the summer when the weather's a bit more volatile. Also means I'll have more time free to spend in the area doing others things, so I'm sure it's not too hard.

I guess the plus side of a day or two delay is it'll give me time to do some recon of all the best spots.

Now I just need to convince someone who can drive to come. :)