Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Hi all,

I've just released new versions of the above MFDs. The major and common change is adaptation to Andrew's new Module Messaging Ext2, which now renders the MMExt library as a truly optional module. If it, or its prerequisites aren't found, a given MFD won't complain about a missing DLL, but will gracefully disable the messaging functionality. Big up to Andrew for implementing it, along with many other features of MMExt.

In the same way as I'm happy, that my library lives its own life now in the hands of Andrew, I have to admit, that now its code is anything but simple to understand. Therefore I will always keep the original ModuleMessaging available on the OH and in my source repository for reference, if we ever needed to roll back to its basic functionality.

Launch MFD:

The major specific change in this version is liberating the MFD from slowly abandonware'd OrbiterSound module. The motivation for this change was the advent of XRSound, which even though is cool enough to be a valid replacement, it's still an another closed source SDK. Additionally, the only thing I need to do in my MFDs is to play Wave files. For this task a 3rd party SDK is an overkill. That's why I have created my own sound class, ready to be compiled into other projects, just like my good old MFDButtonPage template. Have a look here:
Sound class
and here:
MFDButtonPage

My Sound class' purpose is to be able just to play Wave files, remaining a simple and open sourced library.

Burn Time Calc MFD:
What's specific here, is a set of polymorfic communication and display classes, which is a major cleanup after previous authors who put it all into one source file as usual :lol:
My following steps will be to further simplify the code.

In general, I have no more plans for further development for now, only maintaining and simplifying the code and reducing dependencies. I will probably add some sounds to BTC MFD and TransX.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Enjo has been an awesome partner with these messaging projects, and between us, we have a nice suite of tools now. The internal implementation of MMExt2 is indeed quite intricate, but the good news is that the interfaces for end-users are simple and logical. If any developer wants to pick up a target set in LaunchMFD, or pass data to the Burn Time Calculator, or to see what orbit is best for BaseSync, or to see the pad selected in Glideslope ... then all this and a lot more is available via the MMExt2 suite.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
If any developer wants to pick up a target set in LaunchMFD, or pass data to the Burn Time Calculator, or to see what orbit is best for BaseSync, or to see the pad selected in Glideslope ... then all this and a lot more is available via the MMExt2 suite.
Definitely. I'm glad that you said it, because in my statement I was focused too much on the library developer's perspective, which is an unusual case, while from a perspective of a developer, who is actually the library's client, the initial simplicity wasn't taken away.