Latest OMP Version?

drgullen

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to double-check that this is the correct current (as of January 2021) website for OMP:

On that site, it says the latest version for OMP is 0.8.2 containing files dated May 2017. Is that correct or is there a newer version/website somewhere?

Cheers,
Glen

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This is correct.

Weather_Tracker

Reaction score
I got omp form orbiter hanger OMP 2016 - Orbit Hangar Mods

unzipped it to an almost vanilla orbiter 2016 have xrsound that should not be a problem.

opened orbiter and went to modules and there was not a multiplayer option for omp.

2nd question on the news section News - orbitersoftware Wiki - orbitersoftware - OSDN

it showed
So just to remind you, stock key settings are:

• Left Ctrl together with left Alt as modifiers
  • “C” to rotate missile target selection
  • SPACE to fire missile
  • “S” to broadcast vessel states (animation etc.) of the focus vessel

i thought this was just a multiplayer flying thing, or am i worong.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
opened orbiter and went to modules and there was not a multiplayer option for omp.

OMP needs .NET framework runtime 2.0 . Perhaps you do not have this prerequisite installed.

i thought this was just a multiplayer flying thing, or am i worong.

You mean because of the missile toy? OMP was meant as a platform, i.e. offer as many Orbiter sandbox features as possible. The missile toy was a proof of concept. So yes, you can shoot at each other with this. Don't expect too much, though.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, the link is for joining the public server.
I don't think that there is a .NET FRAMEWORK 2.1. There only is 2.0. Perhaps you have a dotnet standard or dotnet core installation, but this won't work. It must be .NET Framework 2.0.
AFAIK, Windows 10 offers the version 3.5 - which also includes 2.0 - as a on-board feature already. You have to enable it via control panel, though. Perhaps this helps: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-net-framework-2-windows-8/

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can you post a log? Perhaps there is something else keeping your system from loading the module.

Also, there is the server itself in the distribution, under <Orbiter root>\Server\Windows\ServerConsole.exe . If you double-click this in Windows Explorer, it should open a CMD window with the server starting up, usually showing some planet config readings in green text, often a red web startup warning after those. If it does that, the framework should be functional. If it gives you some weird error box talking about wrong format, you still suffer from a missing .NET framework somehow.

Weather_Tracker

Reaction score
also i saw there is a server in omp that I can run. it fails anyway in the cmd says there is a missing config file. why does orbiter has a server that we cannot connect to

Weather_Tracker

Reaction score
the one in your module has a missing config file. the one orbiter comes with opens but no seneriors to load. not sure why it is included any way. also where is you log file for serverconsole.exe

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
i did not have the stuff in your modules foleder copied in the orbitergs modules folder
Yes, proper installation of addons is often key in Orbiter setups. Nice to hear that you've got it working now.

predattak

Reaction score
Orbiter Multiplayer.. i was always curious about how this works.. by example what type of flights can you do and how do you handle the time warp?
I mean if i'm docking and the other guy time warps to 100k x because he's in transit to mars .. i'm going to have a bad day.:unsure:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There is no time warping per se. The system synchronizes all clients to the server clock. As server admin, you can set that clock to skip time, forcing all clients to desync and having to sync up again, thereby giving them a bit of control over the warping again. During this they don't see each other, though.

I also have a different multiplayer concept in the works that is more suited into the persistent universe direction. There the space-time bubble concept is used to deal with the time warp problem.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The public server only has those "locations" configured. If you run your own server, you can author as many locations as you like. However, these are only startup things. You can always use the scenario editor to add as many vessels and classes as you like. Keep in mind, though, that only those classes that remote clients have installed will show up as equivalent model on their side, otherwise it get mapped to the default OMP vessel (the cross thingy) on the public server. I.e.: if you use stock vessel classes, you should be save.

FYI: on own server configs, you can even map special vessels to stock vessels, so you can e.g. fly the DGIV while others see the plain DG.