General Question KSP to Orbiter - (yet another) Tutorials series project

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi there :hello:
I had this idea in minde since a long time, but then I read HarversteR's quote about KSP, and that made me want to help people access Orbiter via KSP !

So that is it, a series of tutorials about Orbiter for KSP people. With this I hope to help people discover Orbiter, and get over the "stereotypes" of being an hardcore sim program, with little-to-no entertainement (true, see below).

Wait, is it really how Orbiter is seen from there?
Well, not from the average. But still, I made a poll asking how they would react to an Orbiter tutorial for Kerbonaughts, and a few posts below I found guys complaining about the extremely steep learning curve and the loss of lifetime Orbiter has. Dang it, one does not simply install mods ! :lol:

The Roadmap

Here is my "roadmap" on how the order the tutorials will be published. Before the actual tutorials, there will be a video where I'll explain what is Orbiter, what it does, and what it doesn't do, how to install it the right way, and how to install add-ons the clean way. I'll quickly present this forum, OHM, and the new Papy's Hangar.

1. How-to Orbit

1. Quick recap of the orbital mechanics, discovery of the Orbit MFD, Align Planes MFD and Map MFD.
  2. Starting from LEO, let's go to the ISS with a DeltaGlider. Discovery of the Sync Orbit MFD, and Docking MFD.
  3. Starting docked to the ISS, but this time in a Soyuz module, Undock, align to a rough landing site, then retro burn to reentry.
2. Realistic nostalgia

1. *Using Shuttle Fleet and Thorton's ISS, let's redo the STS-120 Harmony mission! Explanations on what's happening during the last 5 minutes of the countdown, then automated launch. Proceeding to circularisation.
  2. *Alignment of the planes, up to rendezvous burn.
  3. Docking with the help of Pursuit MFD, and RMS operations to dock Harmony.
  4. Undocking and planes alignement.
  5. (might be the same video) Reentry using AutoFCS.
3. To the Moon ...

1. Remake of Apollo 11/17 (don't know each one, first is mot known, second is known to be last AND has the lunar rover) using AMSO.
    Take-off to MECO.
  2. TLE burn plus corrections.
  3. LEO to landing.
  4. Moon operations (plus LRV?) and Take-off.
  5. Approach and Docking, and TEI.
  6. Corrections to splashdown
  7. (Might be released as a special video) Welcome back celebration.
4. ... And beyond !

1. How-to prepare an interplanetary trip to Mars using IMFD from the surface. (Wideawake as the starting base)
    How-to spawn a vessel (in this case, the Arrow or the Deepstar) and set its orbital elements.
    (If Arrow) How to change cofiguration files to allow landing on Mars.
  2. Flight to the mother ship (easy and quick now)
  3. TMaI and first corrections
  4. Last corrections and MaOI.
  5. Landing of the ship(s) on Orcus Patera.
5. It's a long way

1. *Remake of the Voyager 1 inner planets voyage with the DG: How to plan slingshot in advance with TransX
  2. Get into parking orbit following LaunchMFD insctructions, escape burn using BurnTime Calculator.
  3. Midcourse corrections, pre and post-slingshot corrections.
  4. [Repeat for all the planets]
6. Miscallenous things

1. Construct your own ships: discovery of IMS
  2. Construct your own stations: links to add-on parts and tips on the building.
  3. Suborbital Raceway: basics of the well-known KSC -> WIN race using the XR2.
  4. Moon to Mars using TransX
  5. Planning like a boss: Using Trajectory Optimisation Tool to find flight plans.

Must-have add-ons (also contains the used addons above)

• OrbiterSound
  • UCGO (contains UMmu)
  • DeltaGliderIV
  • XR2 Ravenstar
  • IMFD
  • (new) TransX
  • BurnTimeCalc
  • D3D9 Client
  • Shuttle Fleet
  • AMSO
  • PursuitMFD
  • TOT
  • Earth/Mars/Moon L11-14
  • [Other - Please specify]
I hugely need your help on this list, what would you remove or add. Thanks ;)

Conclusion: I hope this tutorial series will come to a published state, everything in this post can change, I nee your feedback to get the best way possible of teaching people on how to Orbiter. The best would be to Scott Manley to notice this and start to make some good Orbiter video as well ! :lol: