KSC to Ascension

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Of course, if you wanted to take the 'official' approach, any record would call for a trip both ways, with the average trip time making the table. Much in the same way that speed records have to be performed.

Allowing refuel, of course.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've just made the run in 19 minutes, 24 seconds, or 1164 seconds. That's definitely the best I've ever done it. It's funny, I'm using so much fuel to brake that hull heating only becomes an issue when I'm dropping my landing gear... you have no idea how many times I've destroyed myself 20 meters above the runway... :lol:

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
been studying Gonzo's 20min playback trying to first mimic his style with little success. Gonna keep trying but I fear you guys are in a league way above me

dirtyname

Reaction score
ArrowStar said:
I'm using so much fuel to brake that hull heating only becomes an issue when I'm dropping my landing gear

OK, color me confused. What is causing hull heating at this late stage in the flight?

Is this the same problem that Gonzo was mentioning, where the hull temp is still so high during final approach that damage is incurred simply by opening the landing gear doors?

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK, color me confused. What is causing hull heating at this late stage in the flight?

Is this the same problem that Gonzo was mentioning, where the hull temp is still so high during final approach that damage is incurred simply by opening the landing gear doors?

Correct. I go subsonic only in the last 20-30 seconds of flight, and my hull temperatures at the runway threshold are typically 500-850 deg C. Sometimes it works to open them up and sometimes it doesn't. I die about 50% of the time. But that's the price you pay for a fast approach!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Could the strategies used here be applied to a full orbit (Canaveral to Canaveral)?

How fast do people think they could get that done?

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Thrust assisted fast orbit took 2496 sec from Canaveral to Canaveral.

UMMU standing on tarmac watching the XR2 land. That's a rush to watch! Looks like I landed at the correct building but picked the wrong runway stripe to stand on.

Attachments

• grab_023.jpg
    grab_023.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 42
  • grab_030.jpg
    grab_030.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 42
  • grab_042.jpg
    grab_042.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 41
  • grab_045.jpg
    grab_045.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 41
  • grab_010.jpg
    grab_010.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 40

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Due to my actions, three XR2s are scorched coral reefs sitting on the seafloor. :dry:

Maybe the profits I gain using them as dive locations can pay for the damages...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would, but because Orbiter does not simulate topography or the ocean, it would simply sit on top of the blue. Darn it. I wish someone would make an addon that fixed that.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It would, but because Orbiter does not simulate topography or the ocean, it would simply sit on top of the blue. Darn it. I wish someone would make an addon that fixed that.

It isn't something that needs "fixing". It is isn't broken, or anything. Orbiter is a space flight simulator.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
It isn't something that needs "fixing". It is isn't broken, or anything. Orbiter is a space flight simulator.
That is true, but an add-on that could simulate oceans could open up new possibilities for add-ons.
An example: Submarine launched ICBM. You fly the missile in a sub-orbital trajectory.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Or, even more cool, a spaceplane/submarine. Imagine re-entering from the ISS, landing on water skiis, converting your craft into a submersible, then sinking down 15km to a base at the bottom of the ocean. ;)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Orbiter is a space flight simulator.

Yes, indeed it is. And Earth is part of space and it has oceans.

I'm not looking to simulate the exploration of the seafloor, I want to see my crashed XR2 actually sink into the water, etc.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only Three? You're clearly not trying hard enough!

Agreed. I've put tens of XR2 into Davy Jone's Locker off the coast of Ascension. The only reason there aren't more is because I figured out how to reduce the thermal loads... and because some of my crashes have hit various base installations, hangers, runways, and the airport terminal. :lol:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
haha true true. I often like to leave my flaming wrecks through their trajectories too, to see just how close I get... never actually hit the island yet though!

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh, see, I tend to break up closer to the island than normal because of the suicide dive I typically pull to keep my speed up; it involves rolling to heads down, pulling back on the stick, and waiting until the VVI is basically on the threshold of the runway, after which I roll heads up again. Of course, I do this at Mach 5 and 30K meters, so. :)