KSC to Ascension

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hehe... this is getting silly. I've now done it in under 1100s! Some of the stuff that I'm trying to pull goes way beyond insanity. Under 1000s is my ultimate goal, but I doubt very much if this is possbile. I'd love to be proved wrong.

Im intrigued...how??

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
What was your trick to getting your time under 1100 seconds? I mean there comes a point where you simply can't re-enter any faster or fly any faster above the atmosphere. :p
My current motto: "Harder, faster, more insane". I'm basically using the same mission profile as the playback, but pushing it right to its limits. Reentry now spends quite a lot of time with hull temperature in the red.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Did it in 1320s, cahotic. My approach now is to use as much fuel as possible for acceleration (13km/s or more), then with the last remaining fuel decelerate a little (to 11km/s) and then use the remaining fuel to push myself down into the atmosphere, at orbital speeds. Then I have to to not bounce, but not burn up in the atmosphere (and there is a very thin line between the two). Very tricky...

Robsoie

Reaction score
I've just done another run, beating 20 minutes this time. 1191s. Playback is on orbit-hangar if you want to take a look:
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3669

No modifications were done to the craft. The standard XR2 launch to ISS scenario was selected, payload, passengers, fuel and LOX dumped before launch.

I may be able to shave up to a minute off this time by braking later and lower and having a steeper descent onto ASC. I could probably raise the cruise speed to 11.75km/s or possibly 12km/s, but that will be really pushing it.
Using this playback flight datas, i built a scenario using the same trick as in the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3663"]Racing5DG[/ame] one :

http://files.filefront.com/AgentgonzoRacingrar/;12683302;/fileinfo.html

Just extract the folders in your Orbiter directory, and launch the scenario named "Agentgonzo-racing.scn" .

Basically in this scenario, you are in a Ravenstar that is on the KCS runway next to Agentgonzo XR2 . The scenario starts and Agentgonzo XR2 begin its flight that will have him landing in Ascension Island in less than 20 minutes, so do not lose time or you will not be able to get ahead of him.

This way you can try to beat his record while having at any time a visual on him, like in a racing simulation.

I did not removed Agentgonzo comments, so you can always use his hints.
Good luck.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
OK, using your method, Gonzo, I've just done a KSC - Ascension flight in 21 minutes and 36 seconds. I probably could have shaved off an extra minute if I hadn't overshot the island and came back around. Also my final approach was much slower than yours.

I'm determined to get under 20 minutes!

-----Post Added-----

Right. Just done a flight in 20 minutes and ONE second. 20:01 on the MET. Annoying, but I'm happy none-the-less.

The issue seems to be the trade off between fuel, speed and time. Much faster than 11.5km/s at ~72 means I have burned into my de-orbit fuel and I'm going faster; so the inability to slow down to re-enter is exponentially more apparent.

Unless of course I perform the pitch around and decel burn earlier, but then that's less time spent in cruise, which even though is faster than 11.5 (around 11.8km/s), means re-entry takes longer. So the net effect is a longer flight.

11.5km/s, with only the default fuel tanks seems to be right on the money. I can't right now think of any way to get it faster.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Gonzo, I just watched the replay and that was hands-down the craziest and coolest flight I've ever seen! :speakcool:

Be advised, however, that mach 40 atmospheric flight (in addition to being slightly insane) will void the XR2's warranty... :)

Great job!

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Be advised, however, that mach 40 atmospheric flight (in addition to being slightly insane) will void the XR2's warranty...
That's OK, they can console themselves in the knowledge that they are helping the environment with all the ruined XR2 airframes creating a new haven for marine life off the coast of Ascension.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Holy :censored:! Talk about Agentgonzo's wild ride! Had a complete conversation with :censored:ing Betty too!

Anyone who can fly a profile anywhere near that has my utmost respect.

Thanks for posting the playback.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, we are pushing it to the limits. :p Btw, just how long can the XR2 withstand those redline temperatures? 20 minutes? I hope so! :p

-----Post Added-----

My current motto: "Harder, faster, more insane". I'm basically using the same mission profile as the playback, but pushing it right to its limits. Reentry now spends quite a lot of time with hull temperature in the red.

Can we see an updated playback with those temperatures? :D

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
OK, just did 19 minutes and 52 seconds. Absolute, fastest, hardest I think I can manage. The decel burn used all of my remaining main fuel. And the entry dropped me right on top of the island - meaning I had to nose dive straight down the make the runway.

Good fun!

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just downloaded and watched the psycho muppet's playback

Um... Christ dude, I am not what to say... Is Jupiter really more massive than all the other stuff orbiting the sun? Where is your proof

and someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he a big ball of plasma more than he wasn't?

--Edit--
I am still absorbing this.... finally went subsonic 1500m from the deck!

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
19 minutes and 42 seconds. Never going to do any faster than that. And I got a playback of this one. How you've done it in less than 18 minutes, Gonzo, I've no idea.

kscasc.jpg

-----Post Added-----

Curse you, photobucket, for not warning me about picture resizing. And also, why does the HUD and yellow text info not show up in pictures?

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Btw, just how long can the XR2 withstand those redline temperatures? 20 minutes? I hope so!
As far as I can figure out, the XR2 can survive the redline temperatures indefinitely. I think that permanent damage only occurs in the white-zone.

Can we see an updated playback with those temperatures? :D
How you've done it in less than 18 minutes, Gonzo, I've no idea.
I'm afraid you'll have to wait for that info. I'm still trying to see if I can get it faster!

Is Jupiter really more massive than all the other stuff orbiting the sun? Where is your proof
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter - first paragraph

-----Post Added-----

OK, the insanity continues. I've now got to the strange situation that my reentry profile has me entering the glide down to the runway so soon after the braking phase that the vessel's hull is still hot. So hot in fact that I can't lower the landing gear without it triggering a hull breach. I'm having come into Ascension Island slower so that I have more time for the hull to cool down so that I can land!

Messierhunter

Reaction score
OK, the insanity continues. I've now got to the strange situation that my reentry profile has me entering the glide down to the runway so soon after the braking phase that the vessel's hull is still hot. So hot in fact that I can't lower the landing gear without it triggering a hull breach. I'm having come into Ascension Island slower so that I have more time for the hull to cool down so that I can land!
I was wondering when that kind of limit would be reached (though I was thinking the limiting factor would be safe speed for gear deployment). Here's a question then, does it count if you belly land it without your gear down?

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I was wondering when that kind of limit would be reached (though I was thinking the limiting factor would be safe speed for gear deployment). Here's a question then, does it count if you belly land it without your gear down?

I tried that too. When I did a bellylanding the nose temperature indicator when white (at about 900 degrees). I came to a complete stop and then suffered a hull breach 3 seconds later at 0m/s!

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
lol gonzo, wicked stuff. Representing Wales in a whole new way mate!
Anyhoo, I'm loving seeing this comp. It's inspiring me to get the addon out so I can track the league table. I'm hoping to get most, if not all, of it done this weekend - time permitting.

As to belly lands, they won't count. Not because I am being an arse, but because i do not think the MET timer will stop without wheel down... but I could be wrong. If I am wrong then belly lands still won't count, because I'm an arse.

Tommy

Reaction score
I have to agree with the "No Belly Lands" policy. The ship should be flyable at the finish, just needing a re-fuel for a return trip.