Update Jumbo Tanker update

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just posted an update to the Jumbo Tanker addon.

Since it was taking forever to send lots of fuel to the Moon in 28 ton batches, I decided to build a special version of the Jumbo Tanker which has higher thrust and can fly itself from LEO to lunar orbit. It's called the Jumbo Tanker QJ, or Quad Jet, and has four powerful thrusters instead of the standard one. By the time you arrive in lunar orbit you still have about 200,000 kg of propellant left if you've done it efficiently. That should save you quite a few lunar transfer flights, and it gives you an excuse to launch some more big rockets, which is always fun.

Speaking of which, I also added launch scenarios using AndyMc's Jupiter V rocket, which I've meant to do for all my addons for a while, since his rockets are current tech, fairly realistic, and beautiful things to fly. Since the Jupiter V is a multistage2 vehicle and the Jumbo Tankers are spacecraft3 vehicles, you cannot call the tankers via a config file, so some of your old scenarios may need a change before they work.

Check it out here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3105"]Jumbo Tanker v1.0[/ame]

Please report any problems here.

Jumbo_Tanker2.JPG

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Useful little update, Andy! I was just thinking the other day how it had been a little while since you'd released an add-on. I wonder if you have any other ideas for things to come in the future?

I really enjoy your products, Andy, just how they all "go" together. I remember when you were first starting out with add-on development - how you progressively got more detailed and sophisticated. I've always struggled with creating add-ons myself, I just get "overwhelmed" with putting the project together. But I'm working on it.

Okay, I'm sure I've gushed enough over you for one post. Just consider me an overzealous fan. ;)

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I have lots of ideas for new stuff, but I'm still embarassed at some of my current stuff, and I want to improve it a bit before starting a new project. Next I want to revamp the passenger module, and then the lunar transfer vessel.

My next project will probably be some useful payloads for the lunar surface. I am thinking of some inflatable base modules to get the colony base camp started, a portable nuclear power sled, some earth-moving machines for digging holes and piling up soil, and if someone ever builds that generic vehicle dll I would like to make a lunar flatbed truck to move all this stuff around. Without the dll I can still build a static model, which is good for scenery, but we all really like Tonka Trucks that run for real!

Also, I need drilling and refining equipment sleds to make fuel from lunar resources. That is key, because once I can lift fuel up from the moon the system is far less dependant on Earth supplies.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds good. I can never think of what to make.

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds great!

Before long, the moon will be breaking away from Earth and starting a civil war. :lol:

Hmm.. Sounds like a good idea for a science fiction novel. :hmm:

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A satellite orbiting the Earth, yet staying over the same fixed geographic position? Ingenious idea! Why, if we could make the satellite's orbital period be the same length of time as that of one rotation of the earth about its axis, this could really work! :p

Necessity is the mother of Invention

Exactly! And that is what I would say makes for the best Orbiter add-ons - Something with a purpose (besides simply looking cool, or just being fun to "play" with). And to keep me on topic, that is how I would describe Andy44's add-ons: Purposeful.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wasn't it Mike who suggested throwing rocks at them?

Sure, was, cobber!

Sounds good. I can never think of what to make.

Like the other posters said: what do you want to do in space?

I want to simulate a plausible moon colony. Building a base add-on is too simple. All these cool paintings and sci-fi novels and movies with moonbases, but no one ever describes how they got all that stuff up there to build it.

So I'm building a system that will do that. And teaching myself a few things along the way.

I recommend you read my article in the last issue of Delta V,where I describe the beginning process of how to build an addon.

fido_61

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
simple tank payload 2.5 docking ports?

Hi Andy, newbie here.

I have successfully launched your simple tank 2.5 aboard a Titan rocket and have it in stable orbit, with centaur still attached. I have made rendezvous, but (silly question) how do I pop the covers off the docking port?

Thanks for a great add on.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Andy, newbie here.

I have successfully launched your simple tank 2.5 aboard a Titan rocket and have it in stable orbit, with centaur still attached. I have made rendezvous, but (silly question) how do I pop the covers off the docking port?

Thanks for a great add on.

There are no covers. I never bothered to detail the docking ports. Maybe someday...

Right now I'm working to re-do one of my other add-ons, but I was going to leave the Simple Tank alone, at least for the time being.