Problem It appears that the Earth has stopped spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Alrightie, so I was orbiting around in my ongoing scenario (plenty of stuff, prety much my happy place whenever i'm at home) and I have noticed that my map mfd is not showing the lines for my next orbit, so I thought "well this is strange" but I brushed the thought off because I was in the middle of a reentry. Now that I have landed at night and increased time acceleration to make it day.... day never came. (maybe Probe is trying to tell me something)

So what I am asking is what would be the safest way to restart the Earth's rotation in my scenario without causing havoc like trucks being sent in the air on fire or something, I have no idea what caused this problem but at least it explains why my xr5 has never reached KSC on its "next" orbit :lol:

edit: ok its ALL my scenarios, and only the Earth is not spinning, other planets spin normally.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
My psychic powers tell me that you installed Orbiter Multiplayer.

Easiest:
Reinstall Orbiter.

Harder:
Pick the earth.cfg out of the Orbiter zip and put it in your installation.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What addons have you installed recently?

EDIT: :ninja:

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My psychic powers tell me that you installed Orbiter Multiplayer.

Easiest:
Reinstall Orbiter.

Harder:
Pick the earth.cfg out of the Orbiter zip and put it in your installation.

You are correct, I did install OMP :tiphat:

I will get the earth.cfg from the Orbiter zip, but will the earth be in its correct position the next time I load up a scenario?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You are correct, I did install OMP :tiphat:

I will get the earth.cfg from the Orbiter zip, but will the earth be in its correct position the next time I load up a scenario?

Yes it will be. OMP stops the Earth's rotation to remove the jitter experienced in OMP due to time sync issues (I believe). Restoring the original orbiter.cfg will fix the problem.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Now if you are smart, like i am, you could make scripts that would interchange with the configs. I did that, and it is great.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Alright looks like its fixed now :) Thanks guys!

Now to inform my friends, who also got OMP

Pro-tip: Assuming you have enough storage space, keep separate install for things like OMP. Or any other addons that change key files like Earth.cfg. Then you'll always know that your OMP install will work for OMP, and that your other installs will always work for their addons. Multiple installs = <3

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Pro-tip: Assuming you have enough storage space, keep separate install for things like OMP. Or any other addons that change key files like Earth.cfg. Then you'll always know that your OMP install will work for OMP, and that your other installs will always work for their addons. Multiple installs = <3

I guess I could make a separate folder on lets say, my desktop, with the files needed to be changed and leave them in a format that I can just copy paste to the root folder of orbiter. Maybe ill also have 2 folders for each way, so like "Orbiter to OMP" and "OMP to Orbiter"

Good thing is Earth is spinning happily and no havoc was caused by the restart :thumbup:

Marijn

Reaction score
I have had the same problem, but I don't remember intalling OMP. Add-ons which overwrite orbiter files make me very suspicious now.

Chemi

Interplanetary Traveler
Reaction score
Ohh that's because OMP sets earth rotation period to 100000000000000 second. that's why... :dry:

best way is go to orbiter directory then go inside config
then use notepad to edit earth.cfg you will find 2 line that we need to edit, it is SidRotPeriod and SidRotOffset
now , set these 2 parameters to

SidRotPeriod = 86164.09 ; 23h 56m 4.09s (check new reference: 23h 56m 4.0906s)
SidRotOffset = 4.8956 ; rad(280.5) at J2000.0

don't forgot to save :cheers:

now, Earth will spin like normal! :thumbup:
I approve! 100% :cheers: :thumbup:

(did I save the day?...)

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
If your too lazy to find the rules...

Forum Rules and Guidelines said:
3. No spam, necroposting, topic bumping, or cross posting...

Do not spam a thread with off-topic replies or advertising. Do not post just to bump a thread or to ask for updates on the topic, please send a PM to the original poster instead. We do not tolerate cross posting or one word posts to simply increase one's post count. Also, please do not necropost in old threads (more than 30 days since the last post) unless you are adding relevant information to it. Note, the 'OrbitHangar Addons & Comments' forum is excluded from the necroposting rule.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
And read the warning of necro-posting?

Yup, that one is normally a giveaway. Posting is fine if the question hasn't been answered - Even if the OP isn't interested in the answer anymore someone else might but but I think we've got this one covered now although Chemi's answer did add more info.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.