Updates ISS UPDATES

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
ISS Reboost Update, scheduled for May 4, 2012 (via Roscosmos):
The orbit correction will be performed by European cargo spacecraft ATV-3 "Edoardo Amaldi". The operation is carried out to ensure optimal conditions for rendezvous and docking of manned spacecraft Soyuz TMA-04M with the ISS, scheduled for launch from Baikonur on May 15.

According to preliminary data, the estimated time of engine ignition of the ATV-3 "Edoardo Amaldi" will be 08:31 UTC / 12:31 MSD / 4:31 a.m. EDT, May 4, with firing duration of 1323 seconds. ISS will receive additionad dV of 3.25 m/s, and average altitude of its orbit will be raised by 5.7 km, and will be 399.8 km.​

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Florida Today: Birthday aboard ISS will be hard one to beat:
CAPE CANAVERAL — What a way to celebrate your birthday.

Flying aboard a Russian Soyuz spacecraft, U.S. astronaut and former Melbourne High science teacher Joe Acaba arrived at the International Space Station on Thursday — his 45th birthday — along with Russian cosmonauts Gennady Padalka and Sergei Revin.

“Some people get cake and candles, and he gets the whole space station,” quipped Kirk Shireman, deputy manager of NASA’s International Space Station program office.

“This is the perfect gift,” Acaba said after hatches between the craft opened, and the new crew boarded the outpost. “Dreams are coming true every day up here.”

{...}

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASA:
  • MEDIA ADVISORY : M12-090 - Station Crew To Take Questions About Commercial Spacecraft:
    HOUSTON -- International Space Station crew members will answer questions from reporters following the scheduled hatch opening of SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft. Three of the six Expedition 31 station residents will be available during a news conference that will be carried live on NASA Television and streamed on the agency's website at 10:25 a.m. CDT on Saturday, May 26. The news conference is subject to change depending on real-time operational events aboard the space station.

Expedition 31 flight engineers Don Pettit and Joseph Acaba of NASA and Andre Kuipers of the European Space Agency will speak with reporters. The crew members will discuss the demonstration flight of the Dragon spacecraft and the implications of commercial spaceflight for the space station. Dragon is set to be the first commercial cargo spacecraft to berth to the station. Because this is a test flight, the Dragon is carrying non-critical cargo, including additional food and clothing for the station residents. Dragon also is carrying a collection of student experiments.

{...}

• What Went Up Can Now Come Down With SpaceX Demo Flight

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
ISS Reboost Update, scheduled for May 26, 2012 (via Roscosmos):
Orbit adjustments will be conducted using two main thrusters of the European cargo spacecraft ATV-3 "Edoardo Amaldi".

The engines will start at 00:10:00 UTC (04:10:00 MSD / 8:10 p.m. EDT on 25th) and will be firing for 377.4 seconds. As a result, ISS will receive an additional boost of 0.9 m/s. The average altitude of the orbit will be increased by 1.5 km, to 399.3 km.​

PlanetTelex

Reaction score
SpaceX Dragon

I am new and I also just went to the bottom of this post so I am not sire if this was already discussed (I am sure it was) or if this video was shared.

http://howsyourrobot.com/history-made-spacex-dragon-docks-with-the-iss/

but as a fan of space and evrything that has to do with it I am truly happy and excited to be alive today to witness history like this but I feel it is not getting the attention it deserves in the world news

this sould have been an event that people could watch LIVE on tv

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
RIA Novosti: Europe’s ATV-3 Spacecraft to Raise Space Station Orbit

I am new and I also just went to the bottom of this post so I am not sire if this was already discussed (I am sure it was) or if this video was shared.
If it was, it was in "[Launch News] SpaceX Falcon 9 F3 COTS2+ Updates" thread, which is the main thread for the Dragon C2+ updates, at least until its hatch opening, and next, starting from preparations to departure from the Station or its hatch closing.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Aviation Week: Commercial Crew Vehicles Will Use New Docking Standard:
Before the SpaceX Dragon can begin carrying crews to the International Space Station (ISS), it must deliver a new docking mechanism that astronauts will affix permanently in the spot where space shuttles once connected to the orbiting laboratory.

{...}

Hatfield's office has just completed a preliminary design review of the two IDAs that NASA plans to send to the station, the first late in 2014 in a Dragon trunk. Essentially a modified APAS at one end and a NASA-developed passive docking interface that meets the international standard at the other, the IDA will be pulled from the Dragon with the station arm, positioned in front of PMA-2 on the front of Harmony, and installed by a pair of spacesuited astronauts.

A second IDA will follow later, for installation on a position to be determined by NASA and its partners. Initially, though, the mechanism on the front of Harmony will be the point of entry for station crews arriving on U.S. commercial vehicles, all of which are being built to meet the basic international standard for spacecraft docking.

{...}

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceflght: Cupola hit by minor MMOD strike, shutter closed for evaluations:
Window 2 on the Cupola module has been hit by a minor MicroMeteoroid and Orbital Debris (MMOD) strike. With the window’s protective shutter closed, per flight rules, ISS managers are evaluating photos of the damage – downlinked from the International Space Station (ISS) – before they are expected to give the crew clearance to reopen the shutter.

{...}