Question Is there an addon download tool for orbiter?

stealthstar

Reaction score
I have been having difficulties installing addons manually (I don't know any other way right now) Basically, I extract the addon content from the zip file from my downloads then I transfer them from the file to the orbiter 2010 file location. So far this method has only worked for a few of my addons; the USS enterprise, the Eagle 5 Winnebago from Spaceballs, the BSG colonial viper MK2, and the CEV Orion with ares launcher. But every other addon seems to fail on start up or crash before it loads giving me the "terminating after critical error" message and shuts down orbiter all together. So is there a converter that allows me to install addons directly from downloads to orbiter as easily as content from Dan's orbiter page?

Swigert

0% Sugar Free
Reaction score
I was thinking about making one myself, but never have gotten around to it. The critical error when trying a scenario isn't always due to an improper installation. Sometimes it is just because, as an example, the addon developer forgot to add something i the .zip file of the addon. Who knows?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Several of us use the JoneSoft Mod Enabler (search is your friend).

Anyway, what this does is create a MODS folder in your Orbiter directory. Running the JSME allows you to add and subtract mods from your Orbiter install quickly. It also makes for a great troubleshooting tool, should one add-on or another cause troubles (like a CTD or some random weirdness) you can remove it with a few mouse clicks and you are back in business.

Pablo49

Reaction score
How does that work? Orbiter add-ons depend on folders such as [Directory]\Config, [Directory]\Textures, and [Directory]\Meshes, not [Directory]\MODS\...

Have you not used JSGME before? I thought everyone knew. The MODS folder holds all your mods inside, each with their own folder with whatever parts of the orbiter directory tree they need inside. JSGME then can copy those mods into the orbiter root when you enable them and delete them when disabled. It is quite neat.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another method people use here is a generic version control software. Basically the whole Orbiter folder is put under version control, and every add-on is just another commit or even branch. Putting together a combination of add-ons is then a merge, which will also take conflicts, dependencies and/or stock file edits into account, much in contrast to simple mod enablers like Jones' .

Both methods have in common that you still have to download the add-on yourself, as well as "register" it manually. I don't know of a kind of package-manager system like e.g. apt for Orbiter add-ons right now, where you could through in a bunch of sources.list entries and simply say "install UMMU", followed by the right package downloaded and installed.

The project I outlined here would have provided the infrastructure for such a system, but it stalled due to lack of interest (both of community and maintainer ;) ). In the end it is a bit overkill, as newbies usually pick up the status-quo (distribution via ZIPs from cathedrals like OHM) quickly, and then actually prefer the flexibility it offers.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Basically , it's dead simple:

1) Download and install 7-Zip;
2) Download add-on;
3) Unzip it into a new empty folder (right click on file, context menu, "Extract to folder-name");
4) Check its folder structure out;
5) Correct (if needed);
6) Move add-on into Orbiter root;
7) Activate module (if needed).

You must fix the eventual problem at steps 4-5, the most common of which being a hastily/poorly packaged add-on.
This means that in most cases you'll see an extra (unneeded) nested folder in the one where you extracted your add-on, thus creating an extra level that must be deleted.

Hope that it makes sense, as I typed all this from my mobile on a lousy keyboard.

Last edited:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Several of us use the JoneSoft Mod Enabler (search is your friend).

Anyway, what this does is create a MODS folder in your Orbiter directory. Running the JSME allows you to add and subtract mods from your Orbiter install quickly. It also makes for a great troubleshooting tool, should one add-on or another cause troubles (like a CTD or some random weirdness) you can remove it with a few mouse clicks and you are back in business.
What a great idea!. I had never heard of it.

I have a question concerning the errors:

Can you post the Orbiter.log file?

is a file located in the folder where you installed Orbiter, that might help fix this error.

I hope not making an off-topic comment.