Question Is JSGME "safe" in Orbiter?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Hi.
Foreword: I'm used to JSGME in other games, so I know how it works and I know it's generally safe.

Story: in order to make a clean test for Videnie, I've just made a fresh 100830 Orbiter install folder to get rid of eventual mess...
This time I've added, in the same folder, a JSGME install, then I started to create all the MODS\subfolders (view screenie).

I just wanted to ask you if there are known problems with it and Orbiter, or some of its modules/MFDs.
I am specifically thinking at AerobrakeMFD, which creates (on user input, AFTER installation) some configuration files...
What happens if I had (in theory) to deactivate AerobrakeMFD, when these extra-files have already been created?

I had to taylor some folders anyway, before using them with JSGME, for example "TEXTURE - RealisticEarthV3.5".
This "add-on" originally contains only those few lines of text that have to be merged into Earth.cfg, so I copied a full original version of Earth.cfg into that folder and merged those lines, making in fact a "custom" RealisticEarthV3.5 content, but I think it's the only way to go.

Or "MFD - BaseSyncMFD23", where I had to merge IMFD422's Config\IMFD.cfg file into, in order not to overwrite it, according to Jarmonik's instructions.
I don't know if I forget something, but you've got the idea...

I don't plan to activate and deactivate MODS every day, quite the opposite, I was just wondering.
So, to my question: is it safe?

Attachments

• OrbModsFolder.jpg
    OrbModsFolder.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 30

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
AFAIK, JGSME does not handle merges. For that you'd need a modern SCM program, such as Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, and maybe even SVN. You may need to play a bit with them to get used though.

Returning to the original question, JGSME is 'safe' to use, as long as an addon doesn't require more than file copying, or require no more than optional changes to configuration files.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Thanks for answering. Wow, they're maybe "too much"!
I didn't mean/think to go into that kind of complexity!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for answering. Wow, they're maybe "too much"!
I didn't mean/think to go into that kind of complexity!

In this regards I've put together a working prototype. With the right kind of "porcelain", it shouldn't be too complex...

regards,
Face

Tommy

Reaction score
I find JSGME is fine with Orbiter - with a few caveats.

1. Bases - These often require editing the Base.cfg to add custom textures. Adding these textures to the Base.cfg won't cause any problems even if you deactivate the base, so I just go ahead and do it. Otherwise, if you create a whole new Base.cfg for the base and put it in the bases Mods folder, you can only have one add-on base at a time.

2 IMFD, LTMFD, BaseSync. I just put all of Jormo's add-ons in the same Mods folder, and switch them in or out as a unit. However, allowing one of these add-ons to overwrite another's cfg doesn't seem to cause any problem unless you've modified that file for some reason.

3. AerobrakeMFD. Can create new files (.ld files) during use. These new files won't be switched out by JSGME, but won't cause any harm if left in place - no other add-on will access them (nor will Orbiter itself).

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
So, If I get this right, Aerobrake's (new) .ld files just remain in place (should one deactivate Aerobrake), and Aerobrake finds them "next time".
Right?

Good point in making one sort of "pack".
I could do it for Altea's XR vessels.

Tommy

Reaction score
So, If I get this right, Aerobrake's (new) .ld files just remain in place (should one deactivate Aerobrake), and Aerobrake finds them "next time".
Right?

Correct. They harm nothing, and are so small that they can be left in place with no adverse effects.

Reaction score
Otherwise, if you create a whole new Base.cfg for the base and put it in the bases Mods folder, you can only have one add-on base at a time.

Not if you copy the modified base.cfg, edit to with the new base textures, and put it in the new addon base's MODS folder.