Question iOS App Programming

flyer

Reaction score
Hi all,

A quick question to see if anyone can help me out with this...

I would like to program an iOS app for my own use. The problem is that I do not have access to a Mac, only a PC with Windows 7.

Does anyone have any idea of any solutions for programming an iOS app from a Windows computer? In the past I used Dragonfire SDK which I believe is no longer supported. Using this SDK I was able to program my app in C++ and test it both on my laptop and on my apple devices.

Ideally I would like to program in C++, but I would be willing to learn C# or another language if that's what it would take.

I have seen that there are lots of options out there for producing apps but they seem to be limited to making simple games with limited capability. My app would not be too complicated, but I would need to run calculations and comparisons (if statements etc.). I would also like to include pictures with clickspots.

If we can take the "just buy a Mac" option as considered, that would be great! Obviously I'd like to keep costs to a minimum, but I'd be willing to lay out some money (ideally not a continuing subscription).

Many thanks and I look forward to your suggestions!

Cheers

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
iOS app can only be built on a Mac, (I know, it is a pain). They also can only be programmed in Objective C or Swift.

You can look into a framework called Cordova or Phonegap that allows you to build apps using HTML and Javascript.

VS Community Edition also has some tools to build apps.

There are a couple of subscription services (Like $20 a month) where you can upload code and it will build, but I would recommend getting a cheap (secondhand) Mac.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
iOS app can only be built on a Mac, (I know, it is a pain). They also can only be programmed in Objective C or Swift.

I'm not sure how the testing would work as I have never done it, but AFAIK you can write for iOS in C# using VS 2015.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Last edited:

MikeB

Reaction score
Does the app have to be native iOS? Can you accomplish what you want with a Javascript/HTML app accessed through the Safari browser?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or just with Java for that matter... at least I assume there is a JVM for iOS?

flyer

Reaction score
I would really like to use it offline. Is it possible to code a webpage in html and then perhaps save it in good reader (or another similar app) and access that offline?

It doesn't have to be iOS native and I would only need it to perform some calculations (based on time, or not - I can manage that without dedicated time functions), look up values in a simple table, use IF statements, things like that.

I would love to get a Mac and money isn't the issue necessarily but I'm trying to be minimalistic and avoid having more electronics/gadgets than is absolutely necessary.

Maybe I will look at the "html webpage" angle to see if that would function offline.

Thanks for your help and keep any suggestions coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk