Project Introducing WIP Universal Cargo Box

d2k

only a simulant
Reaction score
Oh heres another cargo topic :jiggy:

WIP WIP WIP UniCargoBox
By: AllMightyBruceUniTech2K
Both did some thinking and combined lots of knowledge on transportation related topics. d2k drawed like a kid, made some 3D preview mesh and still seeks the perfect look (industrial design should look fresh he thinks).
Bruce is the one who will make sure that all measurements, polys, yes that everything and whatever is correct + he will make this a trully fun Add-on (top secret super awesome UCGO developments planned). Bruce has to rebuild my box draft since I'm a poly-overdozer. I trust on him and on his knowledge speaking of a "orbitization/integration", we will do great!

About: It will be the ShieldBox (with grid), FoodBox, IsoBox, MakerBox. Yep, nobody would ever build such an expensive box. Codename: The most overstuffed but more or less realistic cargo box possible, nuff said! ;)

Features:
– Note: the texture part is just for fun, no real labels so far but I provided "room" for them. Theres also space for a logo and the "funny wrong placed QR-Code". Also misses some serious scratches
– The usual OLED-Screen (will run a texture of "Linux on steroids"). The Xpad2 is gone (maybe a UMMU will hold it in his hands)
– The red LED-backgrounded 'drag-slide-to-open' mechanism
– Input / Output vents
– The retro control module (now with USB-Connector and XY-Hardware-Slot) + even with some lil' LED system status indicators
– Covered modules (8 possible): Coolant, Electronics, Refrigerator, Pressurizer, whatever (could also count as extra cargo space, e.g. just in case)
– Case study as eye-candy: Somebody forgot to put a module cover back again (might be part of a random box out of +200 planned cargos with little individualization gimmicks)
– The usefull 'LED-Sheeter' also likes to be part of it
– Has Handles, oh yeah baby
– Fork lift bottom access
– Space Fork connectors (4 for now, maybe more will be added)
– LED light stripes on each side help locate the box
– The body of the box is made to be sturdy to avoid collision with the soft-parts (but so far it's only plastic)
– At the back: Coolant for integrated computation + old fashion coolant vent
– A little solar collector
– A Gesture Detection Sensor (for the Touchpad)
– Invisible but included: Ambient light sensor, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and duno what
– Other things might be added, too

Preview:

universal-cargo-box-concept-1.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-2.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-3.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-4.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-6.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-7.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-8.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-9.png

universal-cargo-box-concept-9.png

Old screenshots:
universal-cargo-box-concept-10.png

universal-box-draft-1.png

^^Description: The above image represents the first design draft Bruce and me came up with. There are not many cargo designs on the web, I searched for hours (or years) and the most inspiring thing was the Star Trek Online Lock Box (if you find similarities yeah there might be some but this changed, no more comparision between both, UniCargoBox is unique now).

Bruce, did I forgot something? Please state your comments on this! :cheers:
Uhm btw I'm aware of making a poly count right now, I will need to lowpoly a bit more but I have limitations since I can't do lowpoly, my 3D files usually have over 1GB of file size. :confused:

This is just a showcase – Under Construction – no suggestions allowed! :p Comments welcome! :speakcool:

/edit: heres a rough sneak of the inner part demonstrating that theres enough room for module 1 to 8 + module "0" + XY /
universal-cargo-box-concept-11.png

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Heya there, somebody has been busy :thumbup:

It truly looks terrific D2k, absolutely smashing.

What modelling program are you doing it in?

With regards to the mesh itself, it will need to have the lid as a separate group, but otherwise it's truly great. Not quite sure at the moment, but I may be able to add a functioning "Linux on steroids" screen at some point. For the moment, a nice shiny placeholder will be best though.

And if possible, the interior should probably be a separate group as well.

With regards to the project in general, our plan is to create a really interactive cargo for Orbiter. Roughly speaking, when released from a UCGO carrier, the cargo is grappleable to UMMUs as a normal UCGO cargo. When unpacked, it spawns a lookalike container vessel with the lid opening up in animation, showing whatever cargo was inside (which can hopefully be removed via a UMMUS action area as well). Once done the user can repack the box, which will then spawn the UCGO cargo & delete itself.

And... That's pretty much it. I will need to figure out a handful of new things for my side of the project, but the module shouldn't be too difficult to code.

Soooo...

-How can I scan config files to get additional parameters from them? This will be important for getting the mesh of the interior contents that should be displayed when the box is open, as well as what gets spawned when the contents are unloaded.
-How the heck does the DGIV Mksat work? When a UMMU has it grappled, it can receive keypresses from the user, but Dan never mentioned how that worked... I think it was intentional ;). Does anyone have any idea how he did that, or must I drag it out of him myself?
-Any features that anybody wants? The add-on will be pretty cool once its done even as is, but if you have an idea that you really wanna see in this, please speak up.
-Is there a mesher available for some light-duty volunteer work? Obviously based on what D2k has done so far, we won't be lacking too much in that department, but if anyone is interested in creating some simple cargo contents, that would be terrific. Basically all that would be needed would be some simple meshes of packages, fruit, tools, uranium rods, pinball machine parts, etc.

A big hand for D2k here, he has done great work on this so far :thumbup:

:hailprobe:

d2k

only a simulant
Reaction score
Thank you Bruce, you named it and told 'em everything that we were talking about for ourselves! You also manage the whole process like best case! :cheers:

Folks, you heard the man, we need some support on this, come join us, unfortunately it's no super hot new spaceship but this will lead to more immersion while playing Orbiter as a Simulator and it also aims to help with multiplayer trading fun. May the lords of coding help us with the config part, please :sos:! Now +200 cargos is no problem at all but having flying fruits all over the place or pinball spare parts yup that would be awesome. I would try to do some 3D containments, too but what about the other +/- 190 3D Containments? Update Packs could be released like small sets of 3D Containment additions to existing boxes. Proper credit for everyone who makes them real is guaranteed as long as they don't forget to contribute their work to Bruce.

Spontaneously I suggest:
– Smoke/dust particles or texture anim when the box gets opened (not for every box type depending on it's contents)
– All control modules with tiny animations means retro LED blinking, Linux screen "dashboarding", retro console monochrome screen flickering
– Positioning of the handles, be it two handles per side or just one and perfectly alligned with the UMMU "holding situation mesh"

@Bruce: Mate, how you want the box to be called, Bruce Sciences was only for blocktext look reasons, do you like Bruce Sciences, any better idea on your manufacturer company name?
Answers on your questions: I use c4d. The lid / box / interior will be seperated into their own specific group, roger on that. Poly count or let's say at least a approach is in the making. Optimizing the mesh parts for better visual fitting also in progress.

Finally, I repeat one of Bruce's questions:
– Any features that anybody wants?

Salute!

/edit: Once we reach a certain development point I will post a list with all cargos I could imagine, Bruce will add his ideas and we will do a open call for other cargos that you wanna have!
Oh and theres another very special gift/gimmick for you – everyone that suggests cargos might get his own logo design to be applied on the top and front of the box texture, including a little logo design done by me or if you have a logo allready it will be placed just like "Sunlight Products", "unihealth" or "WHATEVER YOU WANT" /

Last edited: