Advanced Question Interplanetary Travel

MerA

Reaction score
what is the most basic way to Travel betwen Earth and Jupiter? Is there something simpler than TansX? (Not IMFD) Is it possible to Transfer to Jupiter?

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
It is possible to use the Transfer MFD to go to Jupiter... if you are in orbit around the Sun. So yes, it's useless.

Why don't you want to use IMFD? It's simple enough, really. Target Jupiter in the Course program and click Autoburn in the Orbit-Eject program. It does it on itself afterwards. It's all automatic. *

TransX is pretty easy to use, too. But it's a longer process, I can try to explain but it would take a while. Don't hesitate to ask if you want to, though.

* You have to let the two MFDs share data first. I've had problems with it before I figured out how to do that though. You have to read one MFD's ID (it says it in IMFDs main menu), press the PG button on the other MFD and put it in. That's it, you don't get any confirmation that it worked. You don't have to do anything in the other MFD. In other words, it's either

MFD 0: Shared - MFD 1
MFD 1: Unshared

or

MFD 0: Unshared
MFD 1: Shared - MFD 0

Just wanted to point this out.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Really, IMFD is perhaps simpler to use (and more automated) than transx - though I've never really done anything with transx beyond a half-baked fiddle at a slingshot course which really didn't work. I prefer IMFD because I've not taken the time to learn transx yet.

Is there a particular problem with IMFD that means you absolutely can't use it? Beyond thhat and transx I don't know of any other interplanetary course plotters.

icedown

Reaction score
There isn't really a simpler way of doing it. If there was I figure someone would have made a full autopilot for it by now. It is a very complex and precise maneuver.

It took me several times to figure it all out and actually end up in orbit around Jupiter for the first time. I slammed right into the planet once or twice and lost count of how many times I just plain missed.

icedown

Reaction score
Actually, since it is possible to do a Earth-Jupiter transfer just using the transfer and sync mfds I think i'm going to give it a whirl just for S&Gs. Firing up XR2 with unlimited fuel and going to see how long it takes me.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Also, does the distance traveled add to the complexity, because I would rather go to jupiter first- then Neptune.

Not really - wherever you go in the solar system, it's basically the same thing. Going to Mars isn't any different from going to Pluto. The complexity of the maneuvers is the same.

However, the longer the distance, the more fuel you need. Also, the more the trip will take. This means you also need more oxygen (and more patience :lol:).

You can shorten the flight time (and lower the fuel costs slightly) by using slingshots: letting a planet's gravity pull you forwards, then letting you go, hopefully towards your target :) But planning something like this means more complexity.

So, yes, Jupiter first, Neptune second would be a good plan. But I think leaving Neptune for yet another trip would be even better, because Neptune is really, really far away. I recommend going for Jupiter/Mars first, then Venus/Mercury, then Saturn, and only afterwards try to go to Uranus or Neptune. But it's your decision, of course.

MerA

Reaction score
I think the Ultimate orbiter jorney would be to launch from Mercury and sling shot yourself to all the planets and then, with Orbiter Galaxy, Out Among the Stars. (Talk About Patience!) :lol:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I found this on my travels, might help:

http://www.orbitermars.co.uk/oldindex.htm

There's an article in there about getting to Mars with the default MFDs. I haven't tried it myself, and I guess IMFD/TransX make it easier, but it is apparently possible.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you ABSOLUTELY don't want to use TransX or IMFD (it's really easy when you get the hang on it, just read some tutorials, like "Go Play in Space", chapter 6 and/or Flytandem's tutorials), it is possible to use TransferMFD. Before I learned TransX and IMFD, I went from Mars to Earth with the Space Shuttle, using only TransferMFD, AllignMFD and OrbitMFD, and a good portion of guessing.
So, it is possible without IMFD or TransX, but higly umpractical: you have to travel into an solar orbit which you guess will take you to your target body, and then use TransferMFD and AllignMFD to correct the orbit. So my advice is: read the tutorials, it is well-spended time. You won't regret it.

(by the way, I disagree with you saying that Jupiter should be the target on your first shot: it takes a lot of time, also at maximum fast-forwarding. I bet that it is easier to travel to Mars or Venus, as those are closer.)