Flight Question Interplanetary Flight

SteveX

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm not quite an beginner at Orbiter, but I am not a pro, neither. I need and step by step guide how to get to Mars, or just simply on interplanetary travel. So far I have watched all of the episodes of Absolute Beginner Guide from David Courtney, 'till his first interplanetary tut came along. I got completely rekt. And, so far, I am able to plan precise Moon approaches (fuel efficent/fast), dock with any station, make Earth-Moon Moon-Earth slingshots, I can land on any landing location or at any base with precisement of a neurosurgeon. But my attempts on interplanetary travel were a complete disasters. The only, completely made by me travel to another planet was with DG, with infinite fuel, to Jupiter. It took me a great manner of fiddling around with SyncOrbitMFD and TransX, but I made it. Well - I cannot say that either. I got the worst encounter that can happen. An extremely high Pe. Well it doesen't matter now. I cannot get to any other planet than Jupiter anyways. Oh, and one more thing - I didn't fully understood how I am supposed to make an encounter with TransX. I understand the principles of TransX and it's variables, but that's like everything.

Ty, SteveXtreme.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm not very good at TransX, but I can get from LEO to Mars with IMFD. I'd made up a tutorial for another Orbinaut to get from MIR station to Venus. It was more of a walkthrough than a tutorial now that I think about it.

If I can find it, do you want to take a look at it?

I'd written it after learning IMFD using [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/ame] although it's an older version, the technique is the same.

Last edited:

SteveX

Reaction score
Ok, why not. If you can find it, post link here, please. I think that after going to Venus/Mars, I could figure out the rest. If not, I will send you message. I have gone throught concepts of interplanetary, not understanding it.

Castor

Reaction score
If you want to try TransX too, make sure to check out Flytandem's tutorials. The new TransX simplifies the process a lot, but I would recommend learning the basics and then switching over to the new one.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I had to do some digging but I found it. I haven't done interplanetary runs in a while so I'm a bit rusty. But this worked before so I don't know why it wouldn't work now.

Like I said it's more of a checklist than a tutorial, for that you really need the IMFD Full Manual. I've played around using IMFD with TransX, the MAP mode of IMFD really lets you see what TransX is up to (helps with planning too).

The guy I wrote this for had great success with it and quickly started doing his own thing. It should work for you.

Attachments

• IFMD checklist.pdf
    42.6 KB · Views: 22