Installation help

Rocketman

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post...
I've been playing orbiter for a few days, and i've tried to install the Orbiter Sound 3.5, but that doesn't work. I've downloaded many add-ons, and Extracted them straight into my orbiter file, but none of them show up. Ive even tried reinstalling the sound, but still nothing

Orbiter is a really cool simulator, but with no sound, its almost worthless to me. SOMEONE HELP ME!

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Addons not showing up is usaly due to not keeping the directory structure when unpacking. A few addons also need to have some files edited to run properly. And don't forget to enable the modules for addons that have them, like orbiter sound.

Rocketman

Reaction score
In the orbiter launcher window I enabled all of the modules, still nothing...

-----Post Added-----

On that note, I downloaded and installed a bunch of hi-res, scenarios, and the stars wars package, yet none of them show up in the Orbiter launcher window

-Pv-

Reaction score
You haven't described the installation process much so I have to ask common and obvious questions:

1) Sound works in other games/applications?
2) When the Orbitersound exe installer asked if you wanted it to activate the orbiter sound module automatically, you clicked ok/yes?
3) Orbiter Sound shows up on the left side of the modules list?
4) You ran the orbititersound configuration program and clicked on the test buttons? You heard sound when you did so?
5) You have ATC sound enabled in the configuration program so you can be sure Orbiter generates SOME sound once in a while?
6) When you choose the external view, you hear orchestra music (assuming you haven't turned that off in the configuration or selected an MP3 file which doesn't work?)

If you have done all this and believe you should be getting sound and don't, then you indeed have an unusual situation where another application might be interfering, or you are muting your sound card. Make sure WAV playback is unmuted and the slider up in your Windows Sound Mixer. Make sure your joystick is not sending a sound mute command to Windows.
-Pv-

-----Post Added-----

More...

It also occurs to me based on your comments about other add-ons not getting installed is you may not be pointing the extraction program to your Orbiter installation location, so the files are going to the wrong place. You may also not have the option to preserve directory structure enabled (each archive program words this option a bit different.)

OrbiterSound is truly faultless in its installation AS LONG AS you tell it where Orbiter is installed. It doesn't detect this automatically like Microsoft program installers because Orbiter doesn't use the registry, so the installer can't look there to detect the path automatically.
-Pv-

Rocketman

Reaction score
Problem Resolved

thank you for you're advice. It turns out that I was extracting all of the files into the main orbiter folder, but in the documents!

Small mistake on my part, with huge consequences.
See you in orbit!

Rocketman

Reaction score
Problem again

OK, so I uninstall everything and start with a clean slate: I reinstalled the original orbiter and the Orbiter sound 3.5 (it works great). Then I installed the "shuttle fleet" add-on and ran some test launches, that worked fine also.
However, I wanted a higher quality experience and I downloaded and installed the "Hi-res Kennedy Space Center" add-on. The only problem is that the launch platform has completely disappeared! The shuttle appears to be floating in space, a few meters off the ground, awaiting launch.
Is there a patch to fix this bug, or is there a configuration problem?

As a last ditch effort, how do I uninstall it?

Tommy

Reaction score
It's not a bug, it's the way the launch towers are handled in some add-ons. Sounds like you installed the hi-rez Cape Canaveral for Shuttle Fleet, or something like that. The launch pads they use are actually Orbiter Vessels (that's done for the purpose of animations like retracting gantries and such), and need to be included in the scenario file to be present. Take at any scenario files that came with the add-on, and you can see what vessel you'll need to add to your scenarios.

Also, the runway positions the "stock" KSC uses are off, and the hi-rez versions tend to use surface tiles made from sattelite imagry. Vessels that start on the runway like DGs will show up parked to the side of the runway. You can find out more about this here: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5911

Post 16 has a link that may help either way.