I am new and have no Idea where to start

MartyMan

Reaction score
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum.

I have been an avid Orbiter fan for quite a while and have decided to make a ship.

I have looked for tutorials and yes I have looked on the tutorials from the link supplied by Tex.

Can someone just give me a link to whatever I need to get started?
I just want to learn how to make a box or whatever with a thruster on the end.

Thanks

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi, I'm brand new to this forum.

I have been an avid Orbiter fan for quite a while and have decided to make a ship.

I have looked for tutorials and yes I have looked on the tutorials from the link supplied by Tex.

Can someone just give me a link to whatever I need to get started?
I just want to learn how to make a box or whatever with a thruster on the end.

Thanks

Ok Do you have a modelling program?

Amin8tor, Blender, and GMAX are popular.

Next do you have Spacecraft 3 by vinka?

These tuts are the ones you want to read
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2747"]Tutorial: How to use Spacecraft.dll (Lesson 1)[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2748"]Tutorial: How to use Spacecraft.dll parameters (Le[/ame]

MartyMan

Reaction score
yes, I have read some of them. I just dont know what programs to get, how to start, etc.

It would be good if someone could make a basic addon guide with all the tools needed and how to make a basic rocket

Rathelm

Reaction score
yes, I have read some of them. I just dont know what programs to get, how to start, etc.

It would be good if someone could make a basic addon guide with all the tools needed and how to make a basic rocket

If you're having a hard time following the supplied tutorials then honestly this is too advanced for you. Start smaller, making an addon for an existing product kind of implies that you already have an idea what you are you doing.

P.S. I mean this in all kindness. Programming, modelling and texturing are hard technical work. Start basic before you try to make something as complex as a flying box. Pick one of the three to start with. To make a craft for this product requires you to understand all three. Pick which one interests you the most and start there.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome, Marty!

This is the tutorial I followed when I was a newbie. It not only tells you which programs to start with, it tells you how to use them:
After playing with Anim8or, which is the tool used in the tutorial, I soon switched to AC3D for modelling. It's about ten times easier and faster than Anim8or. But, Anim8or will help teach you the basics. Others here will surely recommend other tools that they prefer.

For textures, I use the freeware GIMP, although it's not fantastic. (Texturing is my weak point)

Scenario design...well, spend enough time tinkering with scenarios and using the scenario editor (activate the module in the Orbiter dialog, before launching the simulation), and you will figure them out.

And as others here have said, soon after you figure out basic spaceships (follow the linked-to tutorial), then you'll want to move to Vinka's spacecraft3 and multistage2 dll's. (Spacecraft3 is for spacecraft, and multistage is for launch vehicles.)

Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions, but try to do as much homework as you can, before asking ;)

MT