Flight Question How to reenter to KSC?

startrekmaniac

Reaction score
I'm still learning orbiter, I can get into orbit no problem its just getting back to the cape that's hard. Are there any tutorials and mfds that can help me get back to the runway?

Tommy

Reaction score
BaseSyncMFD and AerobrakeMFD will enable very accurate re-entries. There are a few threads around the forum about using these tools.

I've started on a series of annotated flight recording / tutorials I will be calling "The Basics". Number 4 will be re-entering the stock DG (I may use the Delta Tweak mod since the stock DG's lift profile is not conducive to a realistic re-entry) to Cape Canaveral using BaseSyncMFD and AerobrakeMFD. Keep an eye out in the OrbitHanger New Releases thread.

It may be a couple weeks before the re-entry tutorial is completed.

Tommy

Reaction score
At this time the only one done is "Home Direct". It shows you how to use IMFD to plan a trip from Brighton Beach on the Moon to Cape Canaveral, using a direct return (without establishing LEO, then de-orbiting). It does cover using AerobrakeMFD for the second part of the re-entry (the first part, the aerocapture, is flown inverted).

That tutorial requires the XR-2 Ravenstar, IMFD, and AerobrakeMFD. The "Basics" series will use as few add-ons as possible. I just did some flight tests, and found that it's almost impossible to maintain the correct AOA in the stock DG, so the Delta Tweak mod will be required.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2648"]DeltaTweak 0.2[/ame]

Winzip complains about an invalid archive, WinRaR works fine.

V8Li

Reaction score
Reentry MFD @ http://www.orbitermars.co.uk/ could help too. What's the most important at it is that it gives you the deceleration required to reach the base at a safe speed. Match it with your actual deceleration and you should be OK. Anyway, practice is important too (as you'll find out).

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have used AerobrakeMFD to do a offplane reentry in a XR5... Scary as heck and main engines were required, by the time I had wheel stop, I had enough main engine fuel to burn them at 100% for like 2-3 seconds. This past week I have been able to do sucessful reentries of both XR5 and DGIV and I have been playing around with orbiter for quite awhile and finally able to do them.... IMO reentry is the hardest thing I have attempted and been successful with so far....

Tommy

Reaction score
First three flight recordings are done, will start on annotations tonight. Will be at least the weekend before I get any posted - if I rush things the tutorials won't be as helpful so what would be the point.

BTW, I've decided that "Rendevous" and "Docking" may as well be in the same tutorial, so the current schedule is:

The Basics 1: Ascent to orbit. (Using stock MFDs)
The Basics 2: Rendevous and Docking. (Using stock MFDs)
The Basics 3: Re-Entry (Using BaseSyncMFD and AerobrakeMFD)
The Basics 4: To the Moon with IMFD
The Basics 5: Return from Moon to LEO w/ IMFD.

Not sure where I'll go after that.