Flight Question How to land at Cape Canaveral

jjake101

Reaction score
How do i calculate the burns required to land at the Cape Canaveral runway?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
At the Hangar, there is a burntime calculator, GlideslopeMFD has on built-in.

What craft are you flying?

jjake101

Reaction score
I most commonly fly the Buran space shuttle and the delta glider.

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Its hard with craft that dont have an attitude auto pilot like the dg. I recommend using the xr2 because it has a great autopilot

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Its hard with craft that dont have an attitude auto pilot like the dg. I recommend using the xr2 because it has a great autopilot

Hard? I haven't done any autopilot guided reentries since I learned about reentries years ago. It feels like second nature by now. Just watch the AOA indicator, trim full up, RCS and control surfaces on, then tap the 2 key or pull back on the joystick to keep the nose up.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A manual reentry with numpad can be a pain, so for the easiest reentry I recommend using spacecrafts with their own attitude pilot, such as the DGIV and the XR2, and use it together with Aerobrake MFD. Then you can just set the pitch, check in Aerobrake MFD if your trajectory brings you to your chosen airport and sit back and enjoy the view until the landing.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do this ...

1. Use BaseSync to control the deorbit.
a. Select Cape Canaveral target, pick the smallest offset to base (e.g. 800km)
b. Turn Normal+ or Normal- on the next node (it tells you PIC+ or PIC- to set the direction)
c. Burn to change planes to bring your offset down to say 300km or less (or zero if you want a direct approach).
d. Circularize your orbit to 200km x 200km. (No critical, but makes things easy)
e. BaseSync DEO ... 80km ALT, 60 deg ANT, 0.7 deg ANG.
f. Burn retro on the target orbit, at the right point, and you are on the way home.

2. Use Glideslope 2 (find it in OrbitHangar) to guide you down the reentry, HAC turn, final approach and landing. (See documentation and guide in the Doc\GS2 folder).

Note - AeroBrake is also a fine utility, and great to picture your G loads and predicted vertical path, but Glideslope does the whole guidance flight direction down to landing.

Full disclosure: I wrote Glideslope 2, so I'm a bit biased :).

-0-0-0-0-0-0-

By the way ... Glideslope 2.1 due to be released imminently, with 15+ enhancements including the return of the deorbit screen.