Advanced Question How to create bases

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What would the procedure be to do this? There is nothing in the Orbiter_Config documentation that shows how to do this.
Check out page 18, the one you want is RUNWAY.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Check out page 18, the one you want is RUNWAY.
I am looking at that. There is nothing there that tells me how to put a number on a runway texture. I'm looking to put the runway number markings on the runway texture.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am looking at that. There is nothing there that tells me how to put a number on a runway texture. I'm looking to put the runway number markings on the runway texture.
The number would need to be part of the runway texture. There's nothing that automatically puts it on the texture.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The number would need to be part of the runway texture. There's nothing that automatically puts it on the texture.
I understand that, but that is what I wanted to know - are there textures with numbers that already exist? I am also a little confused about how the runway texture files work - it seems each file has a number of component textures within it for different parts of the runway, and I don't quite yet see how they are referenced for different runway sections.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@Thunder Chicken, there're several types of runways you can use in Orbiter. A runway can be a part of a surface tile, or a modified runway *.dds texture which is used with the default runway object, or you can make your own mesh for the runway and use it with your *.dds texture.

Look at the Tutorial 4 of the Manual to understand how runway sections work.

LordCroussette

Quebec City's Resident Base Builder
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him, She/Her
I understand that, but that is what I wanted to know - are there textures with numbers that already exist? I am also a little confused about how the runway texture files work - it seems each file has a number of component textures within it for different parts of the runway, and I don't quite yet see how they are referenced for different runway sections.
As far as I know, no, there isn't a runway texture with numbers ready to put on. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you need to use a custom mesh if you want numbers on your runway. Either a transparent mesh with the number as texture placed over a regular runway, or a full custom runway mesh and texture.

Personally, I just use the transparent mesh route. Just place it over and its good!
1716331613325.png

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I guess that answers another question - how to make taxiways and aprons and such. I assume all of that is done by mesh?

One other matter, looking at the surface textures - is there any relationship to the surface tile numbering and the lat/long range of the tile? The airfield I am looking to improve is in southeast Massachusetts and the area is peppered with lakes and ponds and I am having a hard time isolating which texture tile contains it. I understand that there are different resolution levels and each level doubles the resolution (Level 12 textures will have four tiles covering the same area as a single Level 11 tile, etc..).

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I guess that answers another question - how to make taxiways and aprons and such. I assume all of that is done by mesh?

One other matter, looking at the surface textures - is there any relationship to the surface tile numbering and the lat/long range of the tile? The airfield I am looking to improve is in southeast Massachusetts and the area is peppered with lakes and ponds and I am having a hard time isolating which texture tile contains it. I understand that there are different resolution levels and each level doubles the resolution (Level 12 textures will have four tiles covering the same area as a single Level 11 tile, etc..).
Here is an excel file I made for myself a few years back.
1716573664616.png

You enter the coordinates and resolution level and it returns the tile (and some other useful info). If you don't have excel, I'm pretty sure you can import it in a google spreadsheet or some other program that opens xlsx files (Open Document?).

Attachments

• Tile.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 4

LordCroussette

Quebec City's Resident Base Builder
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him, She/Her
I guess that answers another question - how to make taxiways and aprons and much. I assume all of that is done by mesh?
Yes, unfortunately. They're a fucking pain to do. They aren't really worth the effort unless your goal is to go maximum details. I don't know how it works in say Blender, but I use 3DS Max and its a royal pain.☹️
View attachment 38304

You enter the coordinates and resolution level and it returns the tile (and some other useful info). If you don't have excel, I'm pretty sure you can import it in a google spreadsheet or some other program that opens xlsx files (Open Document?).
Holy moly! You're a life saviour!

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 38304

Perfect! Works fine in Libre Office.

As for meshes - I can make 2D SVG files by scanning the base approach plates and tracing them in InkScape. If there is some pathway to something that can export an Orbiter mesh file I hopefully can get it there.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I think you can import .svg into Blender and export with the orbiter plugin
I can get the taxiway mesh into Blender as an svg, but there doesn't seem to be an export option for Orbiter.msh (only an import option for this?).

EDIT: I am reading the Doc file and it is exporting a mesh file, but with no nodes.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Output properties->(scroll down to) Orbiter Output Panel.
View attachment 38319
I am doing those things, but it only spits out an empty mesh.
Screenshot at 2024-05-25 00-48-36.png
Contents of mesh file Mansfield.msh

MSHX1
GROUPS 0
MATERIALS 0
TEXTURES 0

Not sure if this geometry is actually exportable. It should be the 2D profile of the taxiways of the base.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I am not seeing a Convert/Mesh option. Only offers Path, Bezier Curve, or Polygon Curve. The taxiway object is a Grease Pencil object from the SVG file import, whatever that is.
Not familiar with GPencil either, but I just tried it. Convert the GPencil to Path and select the GP_layer that gets created. You can convert that to a mesh. Delete the GPencil and Build Mesh.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Not familiar with GPencil either, but I just tried it. Convert the GPencil to Path and select the GP_layer that gets created. You can convert that to a mesh. Delete the GPencil and Build Mesh.
No luck, throws an error when I try to build the mesh:

Screenshot at 2024-05-25 01-35-55.png
I've attached the SVG file that I am working with if that helps.

Attachments

• Mansfield Airport Mesh Plain.svg.zip
    32.5 KB · Views: 2