Question How come I almost can't find any female Orbinauts?

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Because we're all geeks ( no offense) and girls don't want to be associated with geeks :)

FADEC

Reaction score
Because math is hard and, as a general rule, girls despise math.

Not only girls. I hated math already from day one in school! Any they all failed to help me, even our headteacher, from which I got tutoring. In the end he said: forget it, and try to compensate the bad mark by another subject.

I always loved art classes, and sports instead. But surprisingly, I was always interested in airplanes and space flight.

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yessss! Then it seems i have chosen well. My Girlfriend likes math and is likely going into genetic research. :)

MattBaker

Reaction score
my girlfriend is math teacher. :shifty:

My best math teacher was your girlfr...I mean a woman.

But I'd agree if you take a percentage of male and female population more males like math/science, but that doesn't contradict the fact that there are women who're better than man.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

"General rule" being the operative word.:thumbup:
Gender stereotypes are a form of statistics, and like all other statistic result, you can't use it to judge individuals.
The 'geek bell curve' for women lies to the left of the male ditto, and Orbiteers are on the far right on the male curve.

my girlfriend is math teacher. :shifty:

Another proof that you can't determine individuals statistically.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Another proof that you can't determine individuals statistically.

Exactly. BTW, she hates math humor and leaves the fun with ODEs to me. Some things about women never change.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

From my personnal experience, that's not true. Some do, some don't, I'd say 50/50...

I know a lot of girls that went through a scientific path in their last school years, then studied biology at the university. Biology seems favoured by girls.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Krys must be the exception then. She has taught me a lot of maths because my own maths skills are terrible.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
*jumps out of the quiet corner*

Doing a degree in Maths here sunshine...and....I LOVE maths...pure maths not this horrible applied engineering/physics stuff...give me cold hard algebra etc any day of the week!

Because we're all geeks ( no offense) and girls don't want to be associated with geeks :)

When I was 15 my friends asked "what's your ideal man" Tall, geeky and daft was my response.

I haven't changed all these years later.

Not only girls. I hated math already from day one in school! Any they all failed to help me, even our headteacher, from which I got tutoring. In the end he said: forget it, and try to compensate the bad mark by another subject.

I think the reason so many people hate maths is because they had terrible teachers. I had absolutely wonderful teachers who made maths fun and interesting.

As for the debate about careers and women in science, The 70% female rate in most hospital pathology services begs to differ. We like science, but seem to prefer careers that help people rather than "discover new frontiers". Did you know women lose approximately 90% of their fertility by the age of 30? Makes wanting a career and a family a bit tough to juggle. Most working mothers I know spend 50% if not more of their paycheck on childcare. Seems daft that they work for half the week just so they can work. *shrugs* As you can imagine, I could go on about this topic for hours, but I'll spare you the boredom.

Personally I hate physics....hence why I'm not big on orbiter. I like astronomy though so the lovely constellations and star maps within it are awesome!

Why have I been lurking and not participating much? I've been busy co-leading a guild on SWTOR and doing ops/raids 6 nights a week.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why have I been lurking and not participating much? I've been busy co-leading a guild on SWTOR and doing ops/raids 6 nights a week.

:rolleyes:

I already know what keeps me from starting Mechwarrior Online... while most of my chapter is there and the game seems to be free currently, my nights are expensive...

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I know of a few girls who are into space, some that are into Orbiter as well, not to mention aviation in general.

There might be other things at play as to why girls don't tend to frequent O-F, but I don't think O-F is a very good snapshot as to what the entire Orbiter community looks like anyway.

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
Where are the other parts of the Orbiter community? I can only think of Dansteph/Orbiter Francophone.

The Orbiter Community doesn't only include forums or large groups.There are plenty of Orbinauts who discuss their latest re-entry failure in their own little circle of friends, just as any with any game (or really any activity)

Also, on the topic of girls not really being here: we hide in disguise, surrender now or prepare to fight fight fight :p

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Where are the other parts of the Orbiter community? I can only think of Dansteph/Orbiter Francophone.

There are other Orbinauts out there who would prefer to not join this forum. More than you would think. Some even go about making add-ons as well. It isn't like they have to join either one or the other. There are other places where people talk about Orbiter, the Flight Simming Community (which is massive compared to O-F + Francophone) has long had a connection to the various space sims out there, that is for example how I came across Space Shuttle Mission Simulator, that is how I came into contact with NAASP, far before I even bothered to come around O-F.

Now granted, the Flight Sim community is by a LARGE margin male, I dont recall ever meeting a female space simmer through the various different Flight Sim organizations I belong to or have belonged to, but there are others space fliers out there than just he same names you see here and on DanSteph's board.

Don't think that if you don't see them on O-F that they don't exist. They do.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I already know what keeps me from starting Mechwarrior Online... while most of my chapter is there and the game seems to be free currently, my nights are expensive...
Unless they've fixed it since Beta, the keyboard/mouse controls were about a billion times better than joystick controls. This is WRONG. Battlemechs should be driven with joysticks!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Unless they've fixed it since Beta, the keyboard/mouse controls were about a billion times better than joystick controls. This is WRONG. Battlemechs should be driven with joysticks!

See? This is why there are few girls here!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to O-F, also known as IMASA-Incidentally Men's Association of Spaceflight and Astronomy

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Picture from an anti-Berlusconi demonstration, happened a couple of years ago in Italy.
The demonstration was to say "no" to the exploitation of the woman's body and the constant humiliation of woman's dignity in the awful TV-centric "Berlusconi-Land".

Little Alice says: "when I grow up I want to be an astronaut...not a tv-showgirl!".

astrov10.jpg

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Picture from an anti-Berlusconi demonstration, happened a couple of years ago in Italy.
The demonstration was to say "no" to the exploitation of the woman's body and the constant humiliation of woman's dignity in the awful TV-centric "Berlusconi-Land".

Little Alice says: "when I grow up I want to be an astronaut...not a tv-showgirl!".

astrov10.jpg

That's 'Astronaut', not 'Orbinaut' ;)