Project HOPE-X spaceplane

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
(originally titled: How to model a space shuttle?)

specifically, Japan's canceled "HOPE-X". I'm having trouble with the geometry:

UEBiAc4.png

At the front is a nose cone (tilted forwards slightly); the top half of the nose cone (half-ellipse) gradually transitions into an arch shape for the payload bay, while the bottom half of the nose cone (another half ellipse) gradually transitions out into a flat botom.

Can anyone explain how to make a smooth transition between those parts (without guesstimating until it looks right)?

I want to get more experience in 3D modeling, more than just having cylindrical segments of different diameters in order to create bell-shaped engines.

edit: this was attempt #1, tried to use this as reference

c0ZZ0ap.png

Last edited:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could you use a spread sheet to calculate the values and then wings absolute move to position the edges?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A spreadsheet? Exactly how is that done? Especially with all these points/coordinates?

Last edited:

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A spreadsheet? Exactly how is that done? Especially with all these points?

Carefully. Generally I wouldn't think that algorithmic generation would be good for a space shuttle-type vessel. I built this guy in excel:
picture.php

However, I think your best hope here would be to guesstimate the shape at the front until it looks right.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
wings will accept formula, ie

if you have 3 points with a x values of 5 5.5 and 5.8

5*1.1 , 5.5*1.2 5.8*1.3 can be entered to alter the curve

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I recreated the front part with elliptical cross sections. But I'm still unsure on how to make the transition.

OT1L01j.png

Last edited:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But how was this done (talking specifically about the front)?

Using 3 "slice" profiles in XZ plane (XY in Orbiter) as a base (only one side) and then building faces manually to conect them (divide face where needed) . Then ~3 hours of eyballing it to look good, cutting out holes for RCS and windows (again fixing faces as boolean operations tend to produce strange results) and finally mirroring it to be symetrical.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Close up may help you bit more:
starchaser-nose-detail.jpg

starchaser-nose-detail2.jpg

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks awesome !!

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Now having trouble with the wings:

3cmOkSz.png

5rF8tvm.png

tXEGonE.png

I tried to follow the orthographic views,

J7Jcstw.png

4kQxUEC.png

eJ8xnLP.png

but I can't quite get it to look the same as this:

yYSPNS7.png

The edge of the wing is where I'm having the most trouble (it looks too thick, especially as you get to the front), as well as the part where the wing blends into the front. The wings are also not fused to the fuselage yet.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does your 3D program have a way of joining vertices as a convex surface object ?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you mean the "bridge" function, then yes.

I'm trying to look at other examples of 3d spaceplanes, such as GregBurch's [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3026"]SpacePlane 2.0[/ame].

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Take a look at my Jason. That has tapered wings also.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I tried something today. I extruded the bottom half of the fuselage (the mesh is separated from the top half), and changed the width to fit the wings.

kb5dqZb.png

BdTcG1i.png

The top half of the wing is still flat, though.

TONqs93.png

There's still room for improvement, but I think it looks decent.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You learn more and more, every time you make something.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Agree with Don^. I've been modeling in 3DS Max now for 7 years, I'm light years ahead of a beginner, but I still learn something every time I model something new.

Another technique is to get the thing you want to model in the format of your editor. Then reverse engineer it to see how it went together. Then model each part over and over again till you get it right. There are so many tutorials on YouTube, that it's hard not to find one that will show you how to do something, anything, even the complex stuff.

Just keep trying you will get there, but it takes time.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Another technique is to get the thing you want to model in the format of your editor. Then reverse engineer it to see how it went together.
That's what I've been doing, with the .msh to .obj converter, and importing the .obj into Wings3D. Sometimes, it provides me with more insight; other times, it makes me confused as to how they're able to do that.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
That's what I've been doing, with the .msh to .obj converter, and importing the .obj into Wings3D. Sometimes, it provides me with more insight; other times, it makes me confused as to how they're able to do that.

Well, yeah, there are downsides to every technique. I admit, I got very frustrated with tearing apart some of the sketchup models. Some others were just one big blob mesh and could not be broken apart. To this day I don't know if that's a good technique for keeping poly counts down, or making uni-textures, or just a measure against theft.

Those who have seen my work, know I work for free, and try not make unique textures. This way if you see something you like, you can steel it without a guilty concious. After all, I come form the world of never re-invent the wheel. But if one of the spokes is impressive, use it and bleed it dry.

Programming language is the same. Chances are someone else has already written the code you need. Now you just have to beg, barrow, and steel it, from those willing to share, so you don't rack your brain over making routine stuff.

The CRV, and Robonaut are not my work, but the models I use are community property, used with permission. The textures for the CRV are mine, and the way Robonaut can be posed was at my request, so in a way I do own them. But I also give credit to those who helpped make it happen.
Cheers!