Simulated sinking it many times back when I played Silent Hunter III. :p

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Apchrapoyl tale(can't spell it) that the forw'd main armament is targeted on a "Golden Egg" fast-food restaurant on the North Circular road.
Should really update the story...

Still, given the gun elevation and the ships berth, it should be possible to predict where the shells land.

N.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Still, given the gun elevation and the ships berth, it should be possible to predict where the shells land.

I know that we have some naval artillery experts on this forum to answer better, but are the main guns firing fixed shells, or bag-loaded?

If the later, then the charge and hence muzzle velocity should be variable. Shells could land anywhere on a line segment and not on a point.

Could be a standard charge mass, but still...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I know that we have some naval artillery experts on this forum to answer better, but are the main guns firing fixed shells, or bag-loaded?

No fixed shells in any case. I am not even sure if the Russian tank guns in that calibre always use fixed shells.

AFAIR, even the smaller guns of the British used bags, while the Germans preferred metal cartridges even for their largest guns (though combined with bags). In this case, it had been cloth bags. In photographs, this might look like they also used metal cartridges, but this is just flash protection because of the cordite.

HMS_Jamaica_gunners.jpg