Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Why do you need that much charcoal being produced? :blink:

I'm satisfied with 40 stacks of charcoal output I can get leaving my basement machine unattended, with 28 stacks of charcoal directly accessible by player, another 10 stacks buffered in unaccessible hoppers under furnaces and 2 stack in output slots of furnaces, which will refill the player accessible droppers whenever you get some charcoal out, and of course there are 2 stacks of charcoal inside the furnaces just awaiting for processing new logs.

And with these 40 stacks of charcoal I can smelt 320 stacks of something in the nearby, not automated furnaces. :lol:

Of course anybody can get the charcoal I have stored there, because LWC doesn't want to work with hoppers and droppers. :p

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
BTW in 1.5.1 they also fixed the problem with using Lava Buckets as fuel. The hopper below the furnace will now also suck the empty bucket out of the fuel slot, so you can power your autosmelters with lava as well.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Why do you need that much charcoal being produced? :blink:

I'm satisfied with 40 stacks of charcoal output I can get leaving my basement machine unattended, with 28 stacks of charcoal directly accessible by player, another 10 stacks buffered in unaccessible hoppers under furnaces and 2 stack in output slots of furnaces, which will refill the player accessible droppers whenever you get some charcoal out, and of course there are 2 stacks of charcoal inside the furnaces just awaiting for processing new logs.

And with these 40 stacks of charcoal I can smelt 320 stacks of something in the nearby, not automated furnaces. :lol:

Of course anybody can get the charcoal I have stored there, because LWC doesn't want to work with hoppers and droppers. :p

I don't, but the automated furnaces are useful to save time.

I come back from mining dump all the things that need smelting in one chest, then leave it and do something else within 100~ blocks and then come back and collect it all from another chest.

I have been thinking if it is possible to add an item sorter to the commune warehouse? what do you all think about the idea?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking if it is possible to add an item sorter to the commune warehouse? what do you all think about the idea?
I like the idea. I'd just dump the items into a stream instead of searching for the chest. But wouldn't it require complete rebuilding of the warehouse?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

I have been thinking about this. There are 2 big issues. First how complicated will this be. If every item is represented, then it will be complicated and messy. The second is space. There are 4 levels on the Commune atm. We have space on North side, but all other sides are limited. Vertical space could also be an issue.

I haven't done an audit on the commune in a while, but I don't think we have enough IO of materials to justify an automated system. Some exceptions are wood and cobble but they might be best served with other buildings.

BTW, can someone fix the East gate.

I have finished my contributions to the theme park, if anyone else has ideas, let me know and I will give you an area.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this. There are 2 big issues. First how complicated will this be. If every item is represented, then it will be complicated and messy. The second is space. There are 4 levels on the Commune atm. We have space on North side, but all other sides are limited. Vertical space could also be an issue.

I haven't done an audit on the commune in a while, but I don't think we have enough IO of materials to justify an automated system. Some exceptions are wood and cobble but they might be best served with other buildings.

BTW, can someone fix the East gate.

I have finished my contributions to the theme park, if anyone else has ideas, let me know and I will give you an area.

I'm still working on making the sorters as small as possible. Once i know how small i can make them, I'll size up the warehouse and start making a mock up in creative, IF i can fit it in ill work out how best to build it on the server then post something about it here.

Also I'm thinking only one double chest per item and the excess gets ether destroyed (easy option), kept in the sorter (performance issues) or Dumped in to mixed chests (will use excessive space).

The other option is to build a new building to house a sorter.

but all this can be worked out at a later date.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
well the northern part of the commune building is a creeper-spawner in its current state, and many mobs can come down from there and sometimes I see spiders on the roof of the commune which can only come from up there, so I suggest the utilization of the north commune plot for this new building, not only that it makes the area safer, but gives a much needed volume for what is actually the center of the server.

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
The smallest design for the sorters that i found so far is this:

I am using a slightly different design though that doesn't need a torch below the hopper but powers the adjacent block instead so it is possible to sort the stuff into 3 double chests that are stacked on top of each other. I'll try to post some screenies later..

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I've come up with a design for a 3x3 piston door, if anyone's interested. Its not very compact, but its fast, changing in just 2 1/2 seconds both ways.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
I've come up with a design for a 3x3 piston door, if anyone's interested. Its not very compact, but its fast, changing in just 2 1/2 seconds both ways.

I have one on one of my creative worlds somewhere, I didn't clock it, but it was ~1 1/2 - 2 seconds run, and completely hidden, no levers, pressure plates, or buttons, just place a redstone torch in the right spot and poof, the door opens

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
Ok here are the screenies of the item sorter:

picture.php

To the right is the dropoff chest with the item elevator behind it. Left the 3 chests with their sorting mechanism. These can then be repeated over and over again.

picture.php

picture.php

The hoppers second from top are the ones holding the filter items, 22 pieces in this design, distributed over the 5 slots.
Actually it should be possible to sort 5 different items into the same chest this way.. like say differently colored wool or different food stuff. Edit: Ah no that doesn't work.. it always empties the first slot first and so on.. doh.. :)

Last edited:

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
After testing some setups, the most compact design ive come up with is 22 X 16 X 6 blocks per cell. And will need 21 cells, but could just do 20 cells, It will need 1386+ hoppers, 672+ chests, 672+ Redstone, 336+ Repeaters,336+ compactors, 336+ redstone tourchs and 12 to 36 droppers. plus extras.

Last edited:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
1386+ hoppers, courtesy of the IronFarm :lol:

BTW if you ever need a design for the exterior just give me the dimensions :)

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
1386+ hoppers, courtesy of the IronFarm :lol:

BTW if you ever need a design for the exterior just give me the dimensions :)

Yet to be decided. The compactors are the tricky thing.

The my current idea is 48 wide, 80 long and 16 high. with a 6 wide door way in the middle of the wide side.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Is there even a need for something that large? The current storage area is huge, and is mostly empty/near empty chests. I don't believe it sees enough traffic to warrant something like this. If it was made that large, it could never fit in commune area unless it was buried under ground, 'downtown' is already overcrowded.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
A full blown sorter for each and every item there is wouldn't be rational for the commune, let's just use the usual/the most practical and have the highest traffic, for example only for sands, the 4 types of logs and cobbles and stone products, that alone is enough, the other extras aren't going to be used at all and only eat space in what is becoming scarce in the commune area. That said though, the east side of the city is just plain barren, we need something complete over there to fill up a proper volume for the city.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Its still in the planning stage. The design I've got uses cells that sort 16 items, and is 14 wide 22 long and 6 high. We could fit 2 and a modified one in to the foot print of the existing warehouse.

80 long? how do you fit that into the commune area?
It is meant to sort 320 different items. It would be a huge undertaking to build.

Is there even a need for something that large? The current storage area is huge, and is mostly empty/near empty chests. I don't believe it sees enough traffic to warrant something like this. If it was made that large, it could never fit in commune area unless it was buried under ground, 'downtown' is already overcrowded.

True, but when has that ever stopped us from building silly things? I see it as a challenge. As for the near empty chests, well I've been attempting to fill the chests for the last couple of weeks and some chests seem to empty faster than i can fill them. And some items are always going to have low usage. The location has not been chosen, I'm still seeing if there is sufficient interest in it.

A full blown sorter for each and every item there is wouldn't be rational for the commune, let's just use the usual/the most practical and have the highest traffic, for example only for sands, the 4 types of logs and cobbles and stone products, that alone is enough, the other extras aren't going to be used at all and only eat space in what is becoming scarce in the commune area. That said though, the east side of the city is just plain barren, we need something complete over there to fill up a proper volume for the city.

Any suggestions for the types, remember that wood items as a whole is 18 min items. cobble,stone products means 13 items. sand has 8 items.

What about limiting it to
The ore, blocks and item of Dimond, Emerald, Quarts, Liupis, Gold, Iron and Redstone = 21 items
Stone products = 13 items
Wool = 16 items
Sand Products = 8
Wood and Products = 23
Buckets = 4 ( yes you can sort lava, water and milk buckets :p )
total = 64 items means 4 cells

Any ideas for additions or subtractions to the above list?

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't think there is enough traffic of wood products coming into the commune to warrant sorting each and every individual type. Most people consume the wood they have simply because they only gather it when they need it.

I think Eccentrus' suggestion of just sorting the different logs is more than enough.

Unless we're going to draft someone on the server to just sit around and craft items for those that need them, like a 'village blacksmith' of sorts, do we really need to sort all the items as well?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
so just do wood and logs? thats 8, what about the other stuff?

:edit:

It can't be built until we get the new mining world anyway...

Last edited: