Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
It might currently be broken because it seems the head position is now higher when sitting in a minecart so on a track with spawn denial slabs on the ceiling you actually are inside the slabs with your head while riding the cart. So you can't really click on anything outside. I hope this'll get fixed though.
It gets back to the normal sitting position after a while. You don't want to get out of the cart only after 20 seconds while circling around the Gold Farm, do you? :p

In fact there is a problem - Gold Farm departure is broken because of that - you can't hit a button with your head in the half-slab.
I was going back home through the Gold Farm after I delivered iron for the submarine and I saw somebody modified the departure point, so the button is at eye position and accessible (and now pigmen can spawn at that place, too).

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
Tree Eater Farm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

the new Tree Farm is now officially finished.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

A few words of instruction:

The farm seems to work flawlessly with Birch, Spruce and Jungle trees.
Just do as the sign says, fill the dispenser with bonemeal if necessary and then plant a sapling on the dirt block. Actually you can do the planting afk, pick sapling, point cursor to dirt block and fix your right mouse button. The machine will continuously harvest trees until it runs out of bonemeal or you run out of saplings. :)
The wood blocks are collected in the neighboring bunker where they can be chopped conveniently later. Left of the planting spot there are 4 note players embedded in the ground that will play a chord each time a whole row of wood blocks has been assembled in the bunker.

Oak trees are a problem currently because from time to time a bigger one with branches grows. This will usually result in wood blocks remaining in the planting area as well as sandblocks in the trunk pusher being destroyed. Yesterday we also had the rare situation that one of the leaf destroyer pistons somehow got exchanged with one of the branch wood blocks.
So it is recommended to not use the Tree Eater with oak trees for now.
Also Gerdih's tree farm is much better suited for farming them as it prevents the ones with branches from growing and also the whole planting process is much faster there (although not afk capable.. :)).

Troubleshooting

In case the machine somehow looses sand blocks in the trunk pusher mechanism it will not be able to push the trunk blocks all the way up to be pushed to the side by the pistons above.
In this case use the "sand access" lever to pull the dirt block to the side and place sand in the shaft.

picture.php

On the left of the shaft you see birch plank blocks that indicate how high the sand has to be refilled. So it should look like this after refilling:

picture.php

Don't fill in more sand than this or it will break the machine upon next activation.

When fiddling around with the machine it may happen that the BUD switch fires unintentionally for whatever reasons without an actual sapling present on the dirt block. The machine will then be in the state where it spams bonemeal endlessly. In this case you can use the manual state toggle button to put the machine back in the initial state.
When fiddling around with the machine it might also be a good idea to disable the BUD switch temporarily. This can be done with the lever on the far left labeled "Automatic Sapling and Tree detection".

Alright then... i whish you all happy tree farming. :)

Last edited:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
I think I broke something when I tried the new farm with oak yesterday.

BTW anyone up for an automatic charcoal factory? you put logs into a doublechest and then wait for it to process and the charcoal end up in another set of chest, and I'm tweaking it with chestcart so that it refills the charcoal to the sets of furnaces. I currently still using a proof of concept in my creative that only use a single furnace, of course this needs to be expanded for speed improvement.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

and after going to youtube you can actually use dropper for this, removing the need for multiple chestcarts going around, and it can be incredibly compact too! I'll just make this connected to a cobble generator and voila, AFK stone brick factory!

Mindblast

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.nestadlinn.de
There's a nice little design for a self feeding charcoal maker on minecraftwiki. Pretty cool...

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Actually this can even be more simplified, i just fiddled around with it and came up with this:

picture.php

picture.php

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
nice that is incredibly compact and can be aligned! That way, after it is saturated, it can make a quick conversion of a doublechest of logs into charcoal, and I bet we can modify it to connect it to a cobblestone generator/collector, and voíla, an AFK stone factory :)

Shootingiron

Delay forever, or not at all.
Reaction score
how to stop circling the track then?

I would have some detector rails connected to pistons that will retract the half slabs when the cart is there ... that way the passenger will be exposed and can jump out/shut the rail off, etc.

Right now (i'm not sure if it's new with 1.5) but if you are inside a block, all your right or left click actions are on that block.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Just a small point. I did some tests. Pigmen DO NOT spawn on rails.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What about adding some sort of teleportation mod to the server?

Point-to-point, so that you set up a (moderately expensive) booth, link it with another booth, and can walk between the two instantly.

Is there a server mod like that, and what say you about using one, if there is?

The server needs a touch of novelty, me thinks.
The multiverse-portals mod we have can already do this, including charging "money" for the use of a portal. However, we don't have an existing economy addon, and as for using items...are there any nonrenewable resources left on the server, with all the farms?

I'm also a little confused as to what need there is for this sort of thing--with the world border as it currently stands, the farthest point on the map is less than a kilometer away by nether rail, which doesn't really take very long at all.

I do kind of like having an almost-entirely-stock server, but if people generally think there's benefit to be had from this kind of thing, I'd support it.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Just a small point. I did some tests. Pigmen DO NOT spawn on rails.

"13w04a: Mobs will not actively path over rails" - so that most likely includes spawning, too.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I do kind of like having an almost-entirely-stock server, but if people generally think there's benefit to be had from this kind of thing, I'd support it.
Going to throw my voice out here real quick. I have already lost so much interest in the server as it's become more and more a playground for making farms for everything (And thus making the server basically creative sans flying, and playing old school around that isn't as fun as it is otherwise). So not only do I think having the ability to tp around is unnecessary, it will, at least personally, reduce the experience on the server.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Going to throw my voice out here real quick. I have already lost so much interest in the server as it's become more and more a playground for making farms for everything (And thus making the server basically creative sans flying, and playing old school around that isn't as fun as it is otherwise). So not only do I think having the ability to tp around is unnecessary, it will, at least personally, reduce the experience on the server.
A good datapoint, thanks.

What do you think would help your interest return?

Pablo49

Reaction score
What do you think would help your interest return?

Go back to before the server became 'LOLFARMEVERYTHING' centric. But really, it isn't a problem with the server, just with the mindset of a portion of the fellow players. I much prefer times like building our ragtag commune on top of that mountain in the old world, or marveling at your ridiculous stock of mined iron. (Colonizing Winterhold anyone? That was so rad.) Those are fond and meaningful memories. I'd feel more like playing on the server if I felt the work I put into my projects had any value. Now all I do is continue mining my stupidly long branch mine, just so I can feel accomplished for actually playing the game.

Note: I understand all the work put into those farms, they are creative and take a lot of work, and I get that. But I feel like that belongs in creative, or in your own private world where you aren't sticking your inflation on everyone else. I'd love nothing more than to personally stuff them, and the stores of the items from them, full of TNT and blow them sky high.

As an aside, I dislike most the huge but basically useless mega projects. That is really design taste, I suppose. Gigantic empty buildings are silly. The sky city plate is the most unfathomable monstrosity I have ever seen in Minecraft ever. So many ways to make a glorious sky themed city, none executed there. (Shout out to Redwood Island (I think that is the name), for being the antithesis to this, for being a neat theme executed in a tasteful way) Again, those tremendous structures definitely seem to fit better in creative and/or we go back to when we enforced building standards.

tl;dr: I'd like it more if we played survival instead of creative. I just don't think that is something that can be 'fixed'.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rosewood Island, and that would be my creation. Glad you like it, Pablo. :)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I've barely played on the server in some time for largely the same reasons.
I've been playing on my own Voltz server. The work is never done. Many things take me weeks to make. I'm still months from making a large hardron collider. I'm not playing PvP but it's still fun since it takes so much more work to get things done than vanilla, and everything is really well balanced.
I could possibly run a server and open it up to interested members of O-F, but it pretty much couldn't be vanilla. My Voltz server right now is running 24/7, but has a short whitelist, and I'll add more RAM if I either get impatient with issues or get more activity.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
On that note--I know that I've usually said I'd prefer to avoid clientside mods, but if there's something that the majority of people are in favor of, I'd be okay with adding it.

If people aren't happy with the state of things on the server, I'd be more than happy to make changes (within reason) to improve peoples' enjoyment.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
On that note--I know that I've usually said I'd prefer to avoid clientside mods, but if there's something that the majority of people are in favor of, I'd be okay with adding it.

If people aren't happy with the state of things on the server, I'd be more than happy to make changes (within reason) to improve peoples' enjoyment.

I think a vanilla server still needs to exist somewhere for those who want it, which may or may not be the majority. Technic packs are easy to install, and very customizable, but any client-side mod is hell when dealing with updates, making mod PACKS a nightmare at times. A number of mods stay buggy.
I'm not sure there's any one or few mods that I would add to this server to help things. I just really prefer running Voltz for now, but it's definitely not something everyone would be into.

(I would even like to toss in Galacticraft when it gets stable and when Voltz has a stable 1.5 build)

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Note: I understand all the work put into those farms, they are creative and take a lot of work, and I get that. But I feel like that belongs in creative, or in your own private world where you aren't sticking your inflation on everyone else.
Well, that would be rather for private worlds than for creative server, because you don't need any farms in creative for anything at all. :lol:

tl;dr: I'd like it more if we played survival instead of creative.
Try TerraFirmaCraft. It's a "Survival mode as it should have been". No cobble/stone generators, no villagers, no Nether. Vanilla blocks and items disabled. Instead, there are many different non-renewable resources (except wood & food, animal & some mob drops, and there are exceptions to that, too). There's gravity for the most of the blocks. The downside for multiplayer is that updates are released quite often, what requires update of the client side, too, and terrain generation may be changing every couple of snapshots, too.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Try TerraFirmaCraft. It's a "Survival mode as it should have been". No cobble/stone generators, no villagers, no Nether. Vanilla blocks and items disabled. Instead, there are many different non-renewable resources (except wood & food, animal & some mob drops, and there are exceptions to that, too). There's gravity for the most of the blocks. The downside for multiplayer is that updates are released quite often, what requires update of the client side, too, and terrain generation may be changing every couple of snapshots, too.
I just want to play vanilla minecraft with my friends, yo. Though, neat recommendation, but probably not something I'd use.