Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You Minecraft folks should post more screenshots, they are very fun to see. :)
Fireballs built a castle in my backyard:
2011-09-25_18.53.40.png

The server has been busy. Here's TSP's place and the bathhouse seen from the top of that castle:
2011-09-25_18.52.11.png

Note that my roof is finished now, so it looks a bit less ugly.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Awesome pictures, guys. Is the whole place basically colonized or are there still "wild" areas left to see?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
a minecraft world covers an area approx. (was it 6 or 8?) times the size of the surface of the earth, so what do you think? :p

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
The area around the spawn point is colonized, but there's still plenty of wild areas left to explore within a short distance:
2011-09-26_194738.png

2011-09-26_194750.png

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
a minecraft world covers an area approx. (was it 6 or 8?) times the size of the surface of the earth, so what do you think? :p

Wow, I was not aware of that! Incredible.

If I wasn't in graduate school, I would really be all over this kind of thing. As it is, I know which direction my GPA will tend towards if I start getting involved now! :)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea the game world was that huge. I thought it was much smaller, and after a little while you'd eventually get to the edge of the map.

luki1997a

Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea the game world was that huge. I thought it was much smaller, and after a little while you'd eventually get to the edge of the map.

world of minecraft is infinite. but after going metioned distance, you will come to farlands- a place where everything is curved, laggy, buggy and getting here takes ~600 hrs of gameplay

@up what happend?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
world of minecraft is infinite. but after going metioned distance, you will come to farlands- a place where everything is curved, laggy, buggy and getting here takes ~600 hrs of gameplay

@up what happend?
Farlands no longer exist in 1.8, i think--the map just ends.

Also, oops? What do you mean, oops, jango?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score

@up what happend?

Farlands no longer exist in 1.8, i think--the map just ends.

Also, oops? What do you mean, oops, jango?

Yes, the Map just ends: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Far_Lands
and the oops was because I wildly overstated the size of the map.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is the server down at the moment? Currently unable to reach it.

**EDIT**

Disregard.

Thanks,
n122vu

Last edited:

Nistenf

Reaction score
Since apparently some like to take from commune chests without putting back. (Chests are at least 50% gone from what I saw 12 hours ago) We've made the commune members only. So just give Me or Woo a poke on the server and ask to be added.

Sorry it had to come to this. :(

I would like to be added too. I can't get out of the main building on the commune (the one with the furnaces, beds, and storage room) right now because the doors are locked to me :p Thanks

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I just stepped outside the commune to find that I'm locked out as well. :p
On an unrelated note, minecarts are weird... In single player, about the time 1.8 came out, I found that my minecart had become two. They would pass through each other instead of interacting, but they were two seperate placeable minecarts suddenly. On our server, I've been informed that my minecart was supposedly going into TSP's lair. My best guess is that his minecart duplicated, since my minecart has been sitting happily in my own home all this time, with the intersection set to bypass the TSP rail, AND with powered rails set to braking anyhow. :p Odd.
(not to mention that there are no wires whatsoever connecting our rail systems)

Last edited:

luki1997a

Reaction score
I'm so disappointed about culture on the server. I don't understand why do you refer to me like to someone worse? Because I get these 50% of cobblestone? Purpose of public chests is fact that you can take something from it, but you have to put it back. After me getting these 50% of cobble you lock these chests. I don't understand your decision. But I put this cobble back, so what's going on? Woo482 told that somebody steal 50% cobble from this chests, so he has to lock it.

It's very unfair. I'm not a thief and I don't want to be so treated.

P.S. banning me from commune is also unfair. I was here 2 times by an accident(when it was closed) when I was going back from nether.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
May I just say at this point that I do not agree with the decision to 'lock' the chests. IT WAS COBBLE FOR GOD'S SAKE, ITS THE MOST ABUNDANT RESOURCE IN THE ENTIRE GAME!!! I think this was a major over-reaction to a minor incident.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
The chests where actually restricted due to the amount of iron, diamonds and coal taken from them without anyone replacing the resources they took. Anyway, I've opened up a small part of the storage room to the public, feel free to take whatever you need from the chests :thumbup:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm so disappointed about culture on the server. I don't understand why do you refer to me like to someone worse? Because I get these 50% of cobblestone? Purpose of public chests is fact that you can take something from it, but you have to put it back. After me getting these 50% of cobble you lock these chests. I don't understand your decision. But I put this cobble back, so what's going on? Woo482 told that somebody steal 50% cobble from this chests, so he has to lock it.

It's very unfair. I'm not a thief and I don't want to be so treated.
I have a habit of not getting involved in drama, but from what I understand, they were upset about the fact that you took a large amount of cobble from the chests to build that castle of yours out of cobble, without initially putting anything back or mining anything yourself--essentially getting a free ride from them.

I think another issue is that buildings made of cobble are often looked upon as "ugly" by members of the minecraft community (not just this server), possibly due to how little effort goes into the materials for them. I do not think the reaction would've been quite so severe if you'd smelted the cobble into stone and then made your castle of stone brick, assuming you did eventually put some back.

P.S. banning me from commune is also unfair. I was here 2 times by an accident(when it was closed) when I was going back from nether.
This raises another issue--given how much area is "blacked out" by a nether portal, I would rather if portals not be inside locked buildings. For one, it defeats the purpose of having the lock, and for another, it can make it possible for people to get trapped there.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

May I just say at this point that I do not agree with the decision to 'lock' the chests. IT WAS COBBLE FOR GOD'S SAKE, ITS THE MOST ABUNDANT RESOURCE IN THE ENTIRE GAME!!! I think this was a major over-reaction to a minor incident.
Official minecraft server admin stance on this issue: the commune was created by a group of players, and all materials in it were collected by them. If they choose not to share with everyone, that is their right.

That said, I don't think playing favorites will foster a healthy community on the server. I won't act to stop it unless it gets to the point of actually briefing other players, but it would be nice (just dreaming here, bear with me) if the server would be a place where anyone interested in Orbiter and their friends could go to have fun and build stuff without having to worry about people destroying their stuff or harassing them.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
This raises another issue--given how much area is "blacked out" by a nether portal, I would rather if portals not be inside locked buildings. For one, it defeats the purpose of having the lock, and for another, it can make it possible for people to get trapped there.

I will make one more point: locking a door is 110% pointless, as a determined person will just tunnel round the door.