Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
At least the JAR version of the launcher updates itself automatically (or rather the Minecraft.jar or Minecraft.exe download the actual launcher JAR and then execute it).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow, lots of changes:
https://mojang.com/2013/08/minecraft-world-generator-update/

Current:
overviewMap-300x225.png

New:
overviewMap_new-300x225.png

...that looks AWFUL.

Look at our planet. It's 70% water. The top one looks a lot more like reasonably realistic terrain, the bottom one looks a lot more like random fractal noise.

Looks like we need to explore the survival world all the way to the edges before this update hits so we don't get the world ruined by that nonsense.

Why does it seem that every minecraft update seems to take the game farther away from the sort of thing I want to play?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Fractal functions are tricky things - it's like holding a fork, a cellphone and chineese eating sticks in one hand. You move the fork, and the stick is in your eye while the phone dips into the sauce.

I won't be surprised if their "We’re not done yet" includes fixing the continental layout back - maybe they only wanted to show off the main terrain, not the large scale layout.

...or maybe they won't. They made regenerating health, for crying out loud.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
They changed it again after that image.
JCiyCTG.jpg

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Doesn't look any better.
It's probably just a different seed with the same generator, or the same seed affected by added new biome or sub-biome.

EDIT: well, It's actually the same seed, but 4 times larger area (the 1st picture is almost the same as top-left part of the 2nd), with only slightly changed generator.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
EDIT: well, It's actually the same seed, but 4 times larger area (the 1st picture is almost the same as top-left part of the 2nd), with only slightly changed generator.
Yeah, I kinda thought it looked like a larger area.

It looks awful.

dnt462

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Keep in mind oceans get up to around 3k blocks across.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Keep in mind oceans get up to around 3k blocks across.
Currently, or in that new generator? Doesn't look like the new generator even *has* oceans.

I'm totally okay with 3000-block-across oceans.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
New Gen. 10K plus oceans were never great.
10K oceans make the land you eventually find that much more special. And based on the image posted, the new generator doesn't have any oceans--just lakes.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It got so hot the oceans boiled away?

Pablo49

Reaction score
Why does it seem that every minecraft update seems to take the game farther away from the sort of thing I want to play?
I dread updates to minecraft. I don't mind more biomes, and more diversity. I loved that when the server moved to 1.0, there was no snow at spawn (granted that was a bug) and we had to search for eons, and cross a vast ocean to find it. I'm not happy to see a world of contiguous land.

Also, are those orange areas the clay hills whatever? If so, why is 40% of the world clay?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Has something changed with the chest to hopper transfer on SMP? as it works offline but on the server its not?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Has something changed with the chest to hopper transfer on SMP? as it works offline but on the server its not?
BOO HISS FARMS ARE BAD. Maybe I disabled it because automated farms suck, HMMMM?

Kidding, I have no idea.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Without farms the game just gets too grindy...
Actually, it gets too grindy anyway, unless it's a Super Hostile map or something.