Vessel Hermes Spacecraft from The Martian

wllmpeek

Reaction score
So, when is one of our brilliant developers going to make a kick ass replica of the Hermes Spacecraft from the movie The Martian? Is someone currently working on it? If so, who?

Attachments

• Hermes with Yellow Sun.jpg
    Hermes with Yellow Sun.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 79

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Looks to me like you can build something close now with Interplanetary Modular Spacecraft. (IMS)

What is the propulsion system?

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
First off, probably should move this to Addon Requests.

That said, I have to agree that the first thing I thought of when I saw the Hermes was that I couldn't wait to fly this mission in Orbiter!

We've been somewhat blessed in the last few years with Sci-Fi movies featuring reasonably realistic ships. Gattispilot is doing a great job of modeling the vessels from Interstellar, and I'm really looking forward to whoever decides to tackle The Martian.

It won't be as easy a job as it first looks either. For the full mission the MAVs will also need to be modeled, and as far as I know we were never shown what the descent stage looked like before it was decoupled from the Hermes (presumably the hab module was the descent stage reconfigured on the ground -- I've only seen the movie once so forgive me if I missed something here like a separate clearly labeled descent stage sitting off to one side).

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
im pretty sure there still using chemical propulsion

Because of the constant acceleration trajectory, I thought the engine was an Ion one.

It won't be as easy a job as it first looks either. For the full mission the MAVs will also need to be modeled, and as far as I know we were never shown what the descent stage looked like before it was decoupled from the Hermes (presumably the hab module was the descent stage reconfigured on the ground -- I've only seen the movie once so forgive me if I missed something here like a separate clearly labeled descent stage sitting off to one side).

Andy Weir is such a geek I'm sure if someone emailed him saying they wanted to make the Hermes for Orbiter, he'd provide us with all the little details of the whole mission :lol:

Last edited:

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting site with the technical aspect of the hypothetical mission.

Inside The Spaceflight Of 'The Martian

TheMartian_Calendar-01.png

TS_Martian_HERMES_01-660x372.jpg

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The engine is mentioned to be an ion engine in the book.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It was argon fueled, iirc, so it could be a gridded ion engine, a Hall effect thruster, or even a VASIMR unit. Each of them would need the power of a small nuclear reactor to achieve the required thrust to accelerate the mass of the Hermes in a reasonable manner.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just finished the book. They use the term "ion engine" several times, and in one piece of dialogue the word "vasimr" is used. The ship has a "reactor room" which is a pressurized space. Few other details are mentioned, other than that the main drive is low thrust and high Isp.

I agree that inviting the author to join OF might not be a bad idea. He sounds like the kind of guy who might be willing to do it, and he's the one with all the tech research on the story.