Here is what happens if you crash into the sun.

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
If you have a powerful craft and crash into the sun, what wouyld happen?
I just did that, and well, i got thrown out of the universe at the speed of light. :lol:
:cheers:
btw, the Craft i used was an X-wing. it has a hyperdrive in it to go faster than light. :rofl:
What happened (if you did) when YOU crashed into the sun?

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
Let's see some screens of this. Post it on the screen shot thread. Don't just say it. Show it to us. :p We want some proof instead of just word of mouth. For all we know, you can just be making it up.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like it, being thrown out of the system at ludicrous speed is what usually happens after a high velocity collision with a celestial body...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I crashed into the sun once, and then I took an arrow to the... Oh wait...

Yes, sure enough that's what happens when you crash into the sun. It'll happen if you crash into the Earth, moon or Mars in much the same fashion if you hit hard enough.

Try landing docked vessels, that's sometimes pretty entertaining as well (once or twice at least).

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Orbiter has several mysterious portals to that wonderful elusive land of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaN"]NaN space[/ame] - congrats, you just found one, have a banana! :bananadance:

But actually, I thought that if you landed on the sun in Orbiter, you got teleported to the surface of Mercury? :shrug:

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't help it:
yd60ck7rpa.jpg

Last edited:

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Years ago I managed to almost land on it:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=51745

I don't know why that topic was so "unpopular" despite people keep posting stuff about the weird nature of Orbiter's Sun. Maybe no one wants to download scenarios but just wants screens. Here they are:
trip_to_the_sun_01.jpg

trip_to_the_sun_02.jpg

trip_to_the_sun_03.jpg

The description from the last scenario file:
Very close to the surface of the sun. Here, from the external view you can see perfectly that the Sun is a billboard. The big gravity attracts you very fast. As you hit the billboard, Orbiter will not permit you to land on it and it will throw you very far from the solar system. Here our trip to the Sun ends.
If you approach very fastly (with time acceleration) you may see yourself landed on Mercury.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I for one would like to see what the universe looks like from a 3rd person view.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As you hit the billboard, Orbiter will not permit you to land on it and it will throw you very far from the solar system. Here our trip to the Sun ends.

A radical way to solve the problem. :lol:

Keatah

Reaction score
Yeh, what happens when you get thrown so far so fast that you leave this universe?

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Do you mean what happens if you fly the ship out of the solar system?
You cannot actually leave the solar system (the celestial sphere with all the constellations is "static" and it's always around you, no matter how far you go") but there will be some errors in the variables which can't keep the great values so:
-orbiter crashes;
-OR the variables report wrong information.
When those orbiter bugs do happen though (crashing into the Sun), they never throw you that far to make orbiter actually crash, so you have to do it yourself using the unlimited fuel option, the max time warp, and A LOT of waiting in front of the screen (or maybe advancing the date with the scenario editor, didn't tried it).

If you meant in the real universe, you cannot leave it because you cannot reach the speed of light, and even if you reach it you will be just transformed into waves (or something like that) at that point. Also, there technically isn't an "actual end of the universe", it's a bit complex to explain. Space and time (and in a certain sense, light) are connected so there is no physical border of this big 4-dimensional sphere that you can go through.

Last edited:

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I tried, I managed to go 1'600'000 AU from the Sun, but then there was a problem with the date, it does not increment after year 3'000 and something.

Last edited:

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I realized that instead of warping the time or changing the date, I could just have changed the scenario data lol.
just change RVEL to
Code:
RVEL 1111111111111111 0 0
or anything similar and have fun.

I've attached a scenario. Just run it and you will see that your speed is 10'000 AU/s. You can see the distance from the Sun (Rad) incrementing.
Time warp and Orbiter will crash when it reaches ~900'000'000 AU from the Sun.

Ludicrous_Speed.jpg

Well, I managed to escape the Orbiter universe! :cheers:

:hailprobe:

Attachments

• Ludicrous Speed.scn
    2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Lol i just crashed a shuttle PB into the sun W/O cheating (using energia project) and now the sun is playing ping pong with me as the ball :rofl:
scn file attached for seeing what i mean :cheers:

Attachments

Delta4

Hybernating colonist
Reaction score
We have discovered the key to interstellar travel! We are no longer tied to the puny region around the sun! And all we had to do was... crash... into it... Hm... Isn't it supposed to be pretty hot there? Because there may be problems here.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
We have discovered the key to interstellar travel! We are no longer tied to the puny region around the sun! And all we had to do was... crash... into it... Hm... Isn't it supposed to be pretty hot there? Because there may be problems here.
Oh, bunk. All you have to do is go there at night;)