Question Has anyone seen something like this??

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
picture.php

A while back I had a vivid dream about this object.

I was visiting some big city museum (think National/Royal History Museum) and this was the visiting exhibit.

The tour guide explained that it was the oldest known intact human structure. He called it "the Hermeneutical Tower". Oddly I had never heard this word before and looked it up when I woke up, and didn't even know if it was a real word (I had guessed the spelling but was a little bit off, my guess was "hermenetical".) The guide then explained that it's purpose was a mystery. In the dream I got a distinctively creepy vibe from the artifact.

I don't usually give much thought to my dreams and DO NOT buy into the usual dream-mysticism type junk. However, this was so clear and my memory of it was so photographic that it made me feel like I was living out a something from a sci-fi/horror story, reminiscent of some kind of H.P. Lovecraft style ancient sumarian alter or something. Anyways, I couldn't find anything that looked like this online, so I just thought I'd throw it out there. I can't think of anything that might have inspired this dream, nor have I seen anything like this before except the obviously usual archaeology ruins etc... This drawing seems to capture my memory very well, so it can be taken quite literal.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
That thing...looks creepy. I'm a little more freaked out by the fact you remembered it enough to go ahead and make a 3D model (with SketchUp!).

I haven't seen that before, and don't want to. Why not put in a image hosting site like Imgur, and see what other people say, 'cause OF (here) has a small sample size. It's entirely possible that the 200+ members here haven't seen it, but statistically impossible for 200,000+ members, plus the millions of unregistered people, who look at crap stuff on Imgur.

Just what I think, sorry I can't help with identification.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
You make an excellent point about the polling sample size. Good idea! Thanks!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
hahah yeah it does look like a chimney. Some of those cairn looking things around the bottom were like little carved deity figurines.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If its an altar, the designer didnt think through where to put the fire pit area, youd need a ladder to reach the cavity at the top :lol:

Whats with the pointy stuff around the rim near the bottom?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some of those cairn looking things around the bottom were like little carved deity figurines.

Yeah, that's definitely Lovecraftian. Let me guess, they are statues of beings that are not known to exist in this waking world, and which are extremely unsettling to look at, perhaps to the point of making the ovserver insane for a period of time...

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
I'd say it's a kind of a "draft" memory used by your brain. During sleep the brain rearranges and strengthens memory; as a librarian ordering a collection of books, the brain makes memories relating them to one another, and, sorts this of the way that seems right.
As is known, the brain generates patterns, usually based on

Either way this tower is awesome.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I recognize that "interesting building" as being [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokohama_Landmark_Tower"]the (former) tallest building in Japan[/ame] until 2014.

So your dream was vivid enough so that you could recreate the relatively tiny black details near the bottom?

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Actually I live in washington state. Commonly people forget about washington state when they don't come from the west coast of US.

I was thinking it might be a conglomeration of ideas from archeology architecture sort of glommed together.

I decided to make this post to see if it coincidentally reminded anyone of any real world thing they had seen. It seems like a simple and almost generic thing. I was also thinking maybe i DID see it somewhere and just forgot where. Maybe if it was something famous then someone else might recognise it.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

@pipcard yeah i only included details that i directly recalled. I cheaped out on the texture, which is just a sketchup brick texture i edited. However i remember the bricks were more of a smooth, shiny burgundy/black. More like cut stone than fired bricks, and there was no mortar. It was darker than the drawing, but it was hard to see the shape with the dark texture so i lightened the color a bit

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm probably not being very helpful here, but the first thing it reminded me of was the logo of a swiss beer-brand:

latest

...but that probably says more about me than about you :p

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Actually I live in washington state.
Ah.
So that's why it's called Washington D.C. instead of just Washington.
There are actually two of them!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ah.

So that's why it's called Washington D.C. instead of just Washington.

There are actually two of them!

Actually it is Washington, DC. DC is the actual state (District of Columbia). Washington is just the city.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm probably not being very helpful here, but the first thing it reminded me of was the logo of a swiss beer-brand:

Damn... I always tought Feldschlösschen is a German beer brand, but the brewery is really in the Swiss half of Rheinfelden. :rofl:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Damn... I always tought Feldschlösschen is a German beer brand, but the brewery is really in the Swiss half of Rheinfelden.

Part of me wants to be offended because it's the most famous swiss beer, part of me finds this hilarious because you're not wrong... Feldschlösschen was bought up by Heineken some years ago.

Luckily it isn't our best beer, or I'd have something to be really upset about (namely the quality of swiss beer... :shifty:)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, it is not like Switzerland is especially famous for its beer... more for its wine.

And of course... Rivella. :rofl:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
And to be more confusing, DC is not a state at all and is not part of a state. Therefore they don't have any state privileges. The person with the most "state governor" type duties is the city mayor.

I'm pretty sure its set up this way so that the federal government is technically a neutral meeting place of sorts for state representatives ...oh and the president. It made sense back in the day but now there are hundreds of thousands of people living there with no state voting rights. :blink:

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

latest

I'll have to see about picking one of those up next time I go to the import store! :cheers:

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

picture.php

Very Interesting!
I found this thing called a windcatcher! I don't think I'll be able to find anything closer than this.

Perhaps I have seen this before and while my brain was busy cataloging things it didn't know where to put it, and so it gave me a scavenger hunt of sorts.

Subconscious:"We couldn't figure out where to file this- go figure out what it is and report back. I know it is 'Old' and since I don't know what it is, it's use is a 'mystery'. We believe it has something to do with religious architecture, so we're going to call a 'tower that has to do with religious philosophy'."

Where I heard the word hermeneutical before is beyond me. :idk:

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Where I heard the word hermeneutical before is beyond me.

It has been mentioned a few times on this board...

And of course... Rivella.

Don't laugh unless you can name one other country that has managed to make a refreshing soda out of milk! ;)

steph

Reaction score
Very Interesting!
I found this thing called a windcatcher! I don't think I'll be able to find anything closer than this.

Perhaps I have seen this before and while my brain was busy cataloging things it didn't know where to put it, and so it gave me a scavenger hunt of sorts.

Subconscious:"We couldn't figure out where to file this- go figure out what it is and report back. I know it is 'Old' and since I don't know what it is, it's use is a 'mystery'. We believe it has something to do with religious architecture, so we're going to call a 'tower that has to do with religious philosophy'."

Where I heard the word hermeneutical before is beyond me. :idk:

Methinks finding one on Mars, Titan or other live-prone celestial body would be a nice start to a Sci-Fi book.