Internet Gravity, space movie directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Trailer up!

MattBaker

Reaction score
It's a movie, not a science show.

I'd prefer a movie that isn't playing in a physics-free-zone so the entire plot would become more realistic which would support the suspense and identification in my opinion.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'd prefer a movie that isn't playing in a physics-free-zone so the entire plot would become more realistic which would support the suspense and identification in my opinion.

Well, I suppose we all have our unrealistic desires, right?:lol:

Wally

Reaction score
I like it. When was the last time you've seen the Space Shuttle, Soyuz, ISS and Hubble in the same movie, on the big screen? The visual are just fantastic.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I like it. When was the last time you've seen the Space Shuttle, Soyuz, ISS and Hubble in the same movie, on the big screen? The visual are just fantastic.

There is the small fact that Hubble and the ISS have a very large orbital inclination and altitude difference...

MattBaker

Reaction score
There is the small fact that Hubble and the ISS have a very large orbital inclination and altitude difference...

You become picky on actual facts now?;)

Not to be taken seriously...

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
You become picky on actual facts now?;)

Not to be taken seriously...

Well, in space terms, it's sort of like having a movie set in Berlin, but with scenes taking place in the Mojave desert at the same time.

Proximus

Reaction score
I can only dream that one day Orbiter could have this amount of fidelity.

:hailprobe:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fidelity means "faithfulness". Orbiter seems to have a much, much, much higher fidelity in all aspects other than visuals... (and that only as long as nothing is exploding).

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Fidelity means "faithfulness". Orbiter seems to have a much, much, much higher fidelity in all aspects other than visuals... (and that only as long as nothing is exploding).

...... and it does so in real-time. People don't seem to get the huge difference between CGI movies and real-time graphic visualization.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com

Apollo 13 is probably on HBO sometime this weekend I'd imagine.

This movie does seem like the first time I played around with UMMU.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...... and it does so in real-time. People don't seem to get the huge difference between CGI movies and real-time graphic visualization.

Though to be fair, our computers do run graphics in real-time that you couldn't get pre-rendered 10 years ago, so at least it does not seem impossible to reach that kind of technology.

What is mostly impossible is to have such detailed assets in a game like orbiter, purely from a budget point of view (unless a legion of coolhands would suddenly decide that it would be a fun Idea to donate a ton of high-quality meshes).

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Though to be fair, our computers do run graphics in real-time that you couldn't get pre-rendered 10 years ago, so at least it does not seem impossible to reach that kind of technology.

My first sim had wireframe graphics. :lol:

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Did some quick calcs using their current orbits. If you started at Hubble and managed to lower your Pe to ISS's altitude (~42 m/s, which is beyond the capability of the MMU) placing the Pe exactly on the relative ascending or descending node, timing it to the microsecond so that you arrived there when ISS did, you'd only have a relative velocity of about 6,700 mph due to the inclination difference. No problem for Clooney, right?

Realism aside, I am actually really looking forward to this movie. Cuaron can do no wrong in my book, and anything that brings public attention to space is a good thing. Plus, those explosions are awesome!

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My first sim had wireframe graphics. :lol:

Yeah! Wasn't Gunship astonishing? :thumbup:

178156-gunship-commodore-64-screenshot-the-mi-24-is-in-range-i-could.png

I loooooooooved it

Wally

Reaction score
Sound in space!

Ok now seriously. I'm not sure why many people are offended by sound in space.

"In the trailer, they wanted to make it exciting so they put, for instance, explosions," Cuarón said during a Comic-Con panel discussion that also included Bullock. "As we know, there is no sound in space. [In] the film, we don't do that."
(from here).

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
looks like some of my earlier missions with UMMU

all in all it has some cool effects. i only have 2 things to say, because i can't help it.

1. That guy is INSANELY NINJA at flying his EMU... dare i say... beyond human ability? :hmm:

2. Those are some tough astronauts colliding with every such thing and being hit by debris and quite bouncy, almost comically rubbery in their ability to bounce off of things, and their suits can handle QUITE a beating without malfunctioning!

So I wasn't the only one who found all that bouncing around rather funny? :lol:

Also, looking at all the debris, Russia must have used a nuclear missile or something to blow up their satellite!

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Sound in space!

I'm not sure why many people are offended by sound in space.
+ Background music / incidental music - there shouldn't be any music if it didn't really play in the scene during filming. :p

I'm not sure why no people are offended by incidental music in movies, which in real life wouldn't be playing. :lol:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
+ Background music / incidental music - there shouldn't be any music if it didn't really play in the scene during filming. :p

Lars (von) Trier and all adherents to Dogma 95 actually don't have any music in their movies if it isn't playing within the scene.

I personally don't care much for teh Trier - he believes himself better than Murnau, Eisenstein and Kubrick rolled together - but hey, tastes are tastes.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

I'm not sure why no people are offended by incidental music in movies, which in real life wouldn't be playing. :lol:

It's like Kevin Spacey's alternate monologue in House Of Cards. If he was doing that in real life, people would think he's crazy. On the screen (big or small), sanity and realism are thrown out the window by a HARP cannon.