Internet Gravity, space movie directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Trailer up!

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score

Wow! Well :tiphat:

Comic-con guy:"This trailer is boring. Add some cool sound effects" :idea:

Cuarón"But the film uses the fact that there is no sound in space to make it more suspenseful and horrifying, because no one can hear you screaming in space" :facts:

Comic-con guy:"this is comic-con, people LIKE sound effects" :headbang:

Cuarón: :suicide:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Somehow it does not sound like something good, from the trailer.
Physically accurate, maybe, but not good.

From the Wikipedia page:
Although the trailer has audible explosions in it, Cuarón has confirmed that scenes in space will be silent: "They put in explosions [in the trailer]. As we know, there is no sound in space. In the film, we don't do that."

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I hate to say it but you've been Ninja'd :ninja: by Wally, in possibly one of the slowest ninja-ings in history

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Hearing a surprising amount of near-rave reviews for this movie after it's been shown to critics.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
My first sim had wireframe graphics. :lol:

Ah, those were the days:
picture.php

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Full trailer released.
Nice.
I wonder how much of the movie is there in that trailer.
Sometimes, a great trailer is actually all the great moments of the movie.
Sometimes.

Not sure i'm going to watch it in the theatre here, not after "Star Trek: Retribution" (what they called Into Darkness).

Ah, those were the days:
Didn't Orbiter 2000 had a differnt style DG, different haze mesh, and no terrain? :)

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Nice. Weird how they've got impact noises in the first half of the trailer, but not in the second half. (Particularly since the opening title emphasizes that there's no sound in space.) What's the suit she's wearing near the end? Seems pretty form-fitting for a space-suit. Isn't Explorer the name of the orbiter mock-up they had at KSC? And why are the thermal tiles underneath it white? I'd love to know the back story for this movie.

Rolling Stone talked up Bullock for an Oscar based from this movie. My most anticipated movie of the year.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, those were the days:
picture.php

yep, way back when developers had to rely on only a sparse few hundred million polygons to communicate crude boxy spacecraft and most of the "graphic flair" was the user's imagination.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Nice. Weird how they've got impact noises in the first half of the trailer, but not in the second half. (Particularly since the opening title emphasizes that there's no sound in space.) What's the suit she's wearing near the end? Seems pretty form-fitting for a space-suit. Isn't Explorer the name of the orbiter mock-up they had at KSC? And why are the thermal tiles underneath it white? I'd love to know the back story for this movie.

Rolling Stone talked up Bullock for an Oscar based from this movie. My most anticipated movie of the year.

Yup, I've been in it myself many times. And the tiles on the bottom looked perfectly fine to me, may look white to you because of the sun angle, but you can definitely tell they're the correct color. :shrug:

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yup, I've been in it myself many times. And the tiles on the bottom looked perfectly fine to me, may look white to you because of the sun angle, but you can definitely tell they're the correct color. :shrug:

Ah you're right. If you look at about 0:13, the sun angle is oblique enough that it really does look white on the underside, but later shots show it's clearly black.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Saw the trailer on the beginning of the Oblivion disc and right away was excited to see it. I thought it looked good from an effects and story perspective. Sandra Bullock though? IMHO when it comes to acting she's the female equivalent of Ben Affleck.

Her looks are the only reason I watch movies she's in ;)

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

My inner commentary while listening:

Cuaron: "In reality when we see astronauts floating in orbit around the Earth, it's not that there's no gravity..."

Me: <sigh of relief> He understands orbital mechanics in LEO.

Cuaron: "...it's what is called micro-gravity. It's a very minimal pull from Earth's gravity."

Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Cuaron as a director, but I really hope they had a science advisor on the film.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Gravity currently holds a 95% out of 40 reviews on RT. Good step in the right direction.