Internet Gravity, space movie directed by Alfonso Cuaron. Trailer up!

Ark

Reaction score
OyewqiL.jpg

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgGPTa7-vlE

This is definitely the real-tech hard sci-fi movie to watch for this year. STS, Soyuz, and the ISS clearly feature prominently, and will all explode at one point or another. The movie is reported to open with a 17-minute continuous shot, and has a very low overall shot count. This is pretty cool, because Cuaron's previous movie, Children of Men, put him on the map for well-composed long-duration shots.

I guess since they're flying Shuttle hardware that makes it historical fiction. :lol:

But, seriously, I am pumped. When was the last time STS flew onscreen, Space Cowboys? The Core?

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Youtube comments <3

Interesting! That is some scary situation! One question: Why the heck are they outside the rocket or whatever? Shouldn't they be on the moon's ground or another planet's ground? Tthat's like asking for disaster to be hanging out freely in space with a robe tied to you.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Somehow it does not sound like something good, from the trailer.
Physically accurate, maybe, but not good.

Sounds like just another "explosions, IN SPACE!!" movie.
Sounds like the explosions would be making sounds, in space. So, not even physically accurate.

October 4, 2013. Quite a while.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, we all know that in space, no one can hear you scream ...
[sarcasm]And a movie without SFX is boring, isn't it ?[/sarcasm]

Ark

Reaction score

Sounds like the explosions would be making sounds, in space. So, not even physically accurate.

I think the trailer pretty much just covers the opening scene. The bulk of the movie is about trying to survive being stranded in orbit, which could make for some interesting stuff.

As long as it doesn't turn into freakin Open Water in space...:facepalm:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Hmm. Stranded in Orbit on EVA. Where have I seen this before?

Oh yeah:

So, when can Tex expect his royalty check?

Also, I wonder if this is going to pass the basic physics test. I'm a little nervous when I see astronauts desperately trying to cling to spacecraft that shouldn't be accelerating too much relative to themselves.

Worst case is another Lockout, where main characters survived by base jumping from a doomed space station, somehow falling back to earth :rolleyes:

Third, showing a space shuttle in orbit taking damage to its wing is somewhat in poor taste, IMHO.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com

Apollo 13 had them - still my favorite movie.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sound in space!

Ok now seriously. I'm not sure why many people are offended by sound in space.

True. Sound doesn't propagate in vacuum however:

example: Wide shot of main characters walking through crowded street (camera like 20 meters from them) . Background noise isn't loud and you can hear dialog very clear. In reality it would be impossible to hear dialog from 20 meters away on crowded street with all this "city noise".

example2: Character is making a phonecall and you can clearly hear other side of the connection while in reality you almost couldn't hear it from 2 meters.

I just consider "sound in space" as just recorded from microphones placed all around the scene (on stations, in spacesuits) mixed in order to enrich scene.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm not sure why many people are offended by sound in space.
Not particularly offended, just want it to be reasonable instead of Armageddon/Star Wars style. Like, no sound when showing FPVs from the suit or from station/ship innards.
As Deep Impact's director said, "we can't shoot a black comet on a black background", so outside view scenes with booms are fine.

Or for some genius to figure out how to make dramatic space ka-booms without sound - Firefly had a few of those, and it looked nice.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I agree, it looks like a complete load of crap, strange to say about a movie that you would think we would like, but bleah. I find that normal actors stink to high heavens when they try to take on an astronaut role, it just comes across as overdramatic.

The only movie that really captures spaceflight well for me would be Race to Mars

and Apollo 13, The right stuff, etc.

And just for the heck of it, am I the only one that finds the "Im floating around trying to grab on to something" scene absurd? If an accident of that magnitude happens in orbit, all of that debris is almost guaranteed to put a hole in your suit. Just my :2cents:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Personally, I think Voyage to the Planets captures space pretty well for me too.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The whole sound thing isn't just limited to space. In fact, most films that show explosions at a distance neglect the delay between the explosion and the time it takes for the sound of the explosion to reach the position of the camera. The same goes for lightning strikes.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
looks like some of my earlier missions with UMMU

all in all it has some cool effects. i only have 2 things to say, because i can't help it.

1. That guy is INSANELY NINJA at flying his EMU... dare i say... beyond human ability? :hmm:

2. Those are some tough astronauts colliding with every such thing and being hit by debris and quite bouncy, almost comically rubbery in their ability to bounce off of things, and their suits can handle QUITE a beating without malfunctioning!

MattBaker

Reaction score
The spaceflight nerd in me who'd like a bit of scientifical accuracy has just killed himself after just 30 seconds of this stuff.

If anyone can move like that with a 100kg+ spacesuit with MMU he should compete in the Olympics. In all disciplines.
Impacting a solar panel with a spacesuit (so a good 175-200 kg) with at least 10 m/s and it takes just a bit of damage and the whole panel does not shake a bit? Sounds plausible.
The tether (although later it does) between them would have ruptured more often than their suit.

It's somewhere between "So bad that you watch it just for the trash" and the Holiday special with a clear tendency to the last one.

How exactly did this guy win three BAFTAs?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
and I could be wrong, but arent the space stations solar panels more similar to a plastic membrane than a solid sikicone wafer mounted on steel?