OHM Glideslope 2.7 for Orbiter 2010

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you are on a 64-bit Windows, then don't forget to run both the x64 *and* the x86 redist installers.

Other than that, follow Orb's advice!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
GS2.cfg entries for Loru's wonderful CSSC ->[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5729"]Carl Sagan Space Center (Banaba Island)[/ame]

Code:
BASE "CSSC" 169.524994 -0.8525
RUNWAY "CSSC" "CSC27" 0 -2200 0 1300 -2000 671 2.421
RUNWAY "CSSC" "CSC90" 0 1300 0 -2200 -2000 671 2.421

spiras

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Unpowered DGIV glideslope file

I worked a lot on unpowered descents with DGIV and Glideslope2
and I finally wanted a custom glideslope file.
I edited the values to match the gliding capabilities of DGIV along the different phases of descent.

Unpack zip in orbiter folder, preserve structure.
Then edit Config/MFD/GS2/GS2.cfg
add the following line:
Code:
GLIDESLOPE U_DGIV "Unpowered DGIV"

You find a scenario under the Glideslopes folder.

Refs for BaseSync are:
ANG = 0.7
ANT = 43
ALT = 100

HAC configuration should be R-O or L-O (press HAC to select)
HR should be small, around 10-12 (press HR- to reduce)

AoA should be gradually reduced throughout descent:
just keep AerobrakeMFD always centered on target until HAC entry.

hints:
dump fuel before descent! we don't want useless weight; keep 250 for RCS;
start rolling before HAC entry (toHAC = 20km) to reach bank angle 75° upon entry; then raise AoA to approx. 13°
Keep one eye on VS around -120 and the other on your trajectory shape
as you gradually reduce bank and AoA.
When HAC is done, aim to TAS = 220 then gradually reduce to 180 before PAPI.

Attachments

• GS2_DGIV_Unpowered.zip
    46.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

spiras

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
thankyou ADSWNJ
I noticed that GS2 does not load all the data specs saved in scenario files:
Code:
BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE User
  MODE Glideslope 2
  GS2RWY KSC33
  GS2MODE VSIT
  GS2UNITS METRIC
  GS2MANZOOM FALSE
  GS2HACRAD 11000
  GS2FINDIST 11500
  GS2HACGEOM R-O
  GS2STEER FALSE
  GS2XTS FALSE
  GS2DIAG FALSE
  GS2DEOR FALSE
  GS2GLIDESLOPE U_DGIV
END_MFD

it looks like HAC radius always defaults to 14k; and it's not customizable either in the PREFS section

About HAC measurement, I also wonder if you actually mean "radius"
or is it rather "diameter" ? :hmm:
for example with a 10 km radius HAC entry is at 70km,
circumference is 62.8, leaving only 7.2 for final; it does not add up;
if it was diameter, that would be a 31.4 circumference + 38.6 final

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK here's a small patch to Glideslope 2.2 to allow HAC radii below 15k. For a reason I cannot remember now, the code ignores any radius under 15km. I've shrunk it to 1km now.

As to the radius - it's definitely a radius from the HAC center point. Think of it like this ... go HACFINDIST back from the runway, then go HACRAD at right angle. This is the center of the HAC turn. Generally you want the HACFINDIST bigger than the HACRAD, so you roll out of the HAC into a short straight line before the outer glideslope. The default is 15000 for HACRAD and 20000 for FINDIST.

On you scenario - I could not parse the .SCN file. Looked like you have saved it in an editor that didn't respect the formatting? I tried straightening it back out again, but it was crashing my Orbiter, so I gave up.

By the way - first time out in the DGIV ... I love the 4 MFD's, but hate the PRO104SPECxx reentry AP (versus the XR2 or XR5 attitude AP's).

Attachments

• GS2.zip
    43.1 KB · Views: 20

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Remember that the DGIV has two re-entry autopilots. One is 'automatic', which essentially will take you down as fast as it can without burning you up,you will see it constantly changing the AoA with no regard for where you will end up. The other is the 'manual' one where you can adjust the AoA hold yourself. But the increments are not like in the XR-2 where you can really fine tune the alpha.

I will also add something I have noticed. In the config where you set up what the default values are, it does not seem to want to recognize the units. I set it up for imperial units to be used, but the MFD always defaults to SI. Not a big deal, but just letting you know.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I will also add something I have noticed. In the config where you set up what the default values are, it does not seem to want to recognize the units. I set it up for imperial units to be used, but the MFD always defaults to SI. Not a big deal, but just letting you know.

Just looked at that code, and this is true :). It's reading in metric only. OK ... next version to fix.

spiras

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I could not parse the .SCN file. Looked like you have saved it in an editor that didn't respect the formatting?
yeah, fixed; for some unknown reason it was saved in Unix format
but it did work for me :idk:

By the way - first time out in the DGIV ... I love the 4 MFD's, but hate the PRO104SPECxx reentry AP (versus the XR2 or XR5 attitude

AP's).
I use AeroBrakeMFD AoA autopilot; works great for me.
I manually regulate the AoA setting, looking at the target line on AeroBrakeMFD
and at DelRefTE on GS2

press SHFT + keypad 8 / 2 (num lock must be off) to change AoA setting

notice that the ship control knob must be on Elevon & gear,
then press F8 and click on ROT; this activates elevons as well as RCS thrusters
otherwise the autopilot wont be able to hold high AoA

I quit the AoA autopilot when I have to unstall the wing

Retrofire

Reaction score
So, how do I install this addon? Woulda been nice to include installation instructions in at least one of those PDF's....

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
So, how do I install this addon? Woulda been nice to include installation instructions in at least one of those PDF's....

You unzip the zip file and copy the dll into [orbiter dir]\modules\plugin

You then launch orbiter and put a tick next to the 'Glideslipe' module to activate it.

The directory structure of the zip file aligns to orbiters so you can just extract the zip file over the top of the orbiter directory structure and it'll work.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
As 99,9% of any other Orbiter add-on: just unzip it in your Orbiter folder, then activate its main module (GS2) in your Launchpad->Module tab.

As a general rule, for "safety's sake", I use to first unzip any add-on in another empty (temporary) folder, to check its folder structure out. Then move it into Orbiter folder.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

Found this video by blixel:

http://youtu.be/VX0m0ozwOZY

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score

... and welcome to the forum, Retrofire. Give it a go like the guys said, and let us know how you get on.

One other thing ... once you unzip the package over the Orbiter directory, then launch Orbiter, and in the modules tab, make sure to tick the new thing you added (GS2 in this case).

Disconnect

Reaction score
How can i use this for reentry with shuttle fleet?
If i set spaceshuttle trajectory, and follow the glideslope, i simply overshoot the base, as the last part of the glideslope looks like a simple ballistic reentry, not a trajectory for a winged spacecraft like sts.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How can i use this for reentry with shuttle fleet?
If i set spaceshuttle trajectory, and follow the glideslope, i simply overshoot the base, as the last part of the glideslope looks like a simple ballistic reentry, not a trajectory for a winged spacecraft like sts.

You over shoot? Are you right on both slopes, the altitude and the speed?

You may want to try a different HAC then because if you follow the guidance of this MFD you should be in perfect shape energy wise.

When you get close to hesitate in opening up the speed brakes.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
... as the last part of the glideslope looks like a simple ballistic reentry, not a trajectory for a winged spacecraft like sts.

The aerodynamics of the shuttle more closely resemble a flying brick, particularly at low speed! I try to emulate the final trajectory glideslope per STS, flying a variety of open and closed HAC turns, to get to the top of the outer glideslope at a 20 degree steep incline to the outer PAPI markers, then pull up into a 3 degree inner glideslope onto the VASI lights (onto the ball bar actually). From watching lots of actual shuttle landing footage, that's exactly how they fly it. (Used to fly it, I mean ... {sigh}).

~~~
Flying Brick reference from shuttle flight control expert Dick Powell:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/researchernews/unflyable_prt.htm

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey ADSWNJ,does the GlideslopeMFD on OH have that last patch you posted that let's the HAC Radi under 15K,or do I need to add that to it? Thanks
HTML:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No - the OH version does not have the patch earlier in this thread.

At some point when I am over my addiction with RV Orientation (i.e. after I have a 3D docking corridor and ship-invariant thruster support, and ability to run via the ship cockpit or the dock view), then I'll come back here and write a Glideslope 3. Imagine a 3D glideslope in this utility!

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Glideslope 3 you say......

yes I am excited.

any sort of HUD guidance would be insanely epic.