getting into a specific orbit

willissteve0

Reaction score
hey people just wondering if there is a tutorial on launching into a specific orbit for example if i want to dock with ISS i know the altitude by setting it as a target on the list and i wait for a launch window till im over its orbital line but how do i know what heading to launch into orbit to match

because at the moment im launching at usual 90 then aligning my planes to match but this is okay for the delta flier with lots of fuel but not good for the altlantis as it runs out of fuel???

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Try out Launch MFD [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2802"]Launch MFD - v 1.2.8[/ame], it shows you the right heading.

willissteve0

Reaction score
hey thanks for the rapid response i just got launch MFD im looking at it now does this thing work automatically or do you fly it manually? but it has given me the correct heading

Jarvitä

Reaction score
If you use the DGIV, you can use the Earth ascent autopilot if you know the heading. It gets you to a 200km circular orbit, which is perfect if you need to catch up with the ISS.

willissteve0

Reaction score
okay here is the plan im at kenedy i want to target the ISS when it comes into the launch window i have launch MFD set to target the ISS is there a way of telling the GPC MFD that comes with david's shuttle fleet to follow that route on the launch MFD???

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is an equation you can use to calculate your launch heading based on the target orbital inclination and the latitude of your position.
Code:
heading=arcsin(cos(i)/cos(l))
[code]
So you have Lunch heading equals the arcsin of the cosine of the inclination divided by the cosine of your latitude. This doesn't take into account the Earth's rotation however, but I usually get good results when using it.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
As for setting the launch heading of the Shuttle Fleets GPC MFD, it has to be done in the scenario file, see the associated PDF for what line to change.