Question Getting data from oh

luki1997a

Reaction score
Hej:tiphat:

I'm going to create a something like Android Market, AppStore or another online app stores- The Orbiter Store. This store with free downloads will need permission to access OH add-ons database, which(I think) contains Thumbnails, ratings, infos(author, release date etc.), download links for every add-on. When user will launch this app, he will see a window with add-on list including Top-10, Newest, Most popular. After selecting an add-on he will see it's screenshot, description, release date, download link, and every feature like on OH. I'm not going to eliminate OH, but make an alternative for it. Firstly it'll be only for my personal purposes until OH admins will give me permissions for making it public. Of course I won't sell add-ons. I'll just make an alternative for website- an application.

Summary:
I want to create "Android Market"-like app with sorted add-ons and available for download
I'm asking you if it's possible to get infos of add-ons as mentioned above.
I'm not going to release it until I get permission from administration.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Hej:tiphat:

I'm going to create a something like Android Market, AppStore or another online app stores- The Orbiter Store. This store with free downloads will need permission to access OH add-ons database

I thought that the App Store and Android Market are only for mobile phones. What'll be the point of this application if you cannot download any addons? Last time I checked, Orbiter does not work on a mobile phone...yet.

Also, why would Orbit Hangar Mods need an alternative? What will you support that OHM does not?

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
We have a pretty good distribution scheme for add-ons that is widely used by the community and well maintained. It allows users to control what they install (and how). I don't know why you would want to reinvent the wheel, especially when the wheel in question is OHM.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Also, why would Orbit Hangar Mods need an alternative? What will you support that OHM does not?
And how would that be an alternative to OHM, as I read the app would read the database of OHM, so if OHM is down the app is down too? Or is it meant for mirroring the add-ons?

luki1997a

Reaction score
:eek:hsnap: I forgot there's one with physical things:lol:

It won't be mobile. Like the rest of my apps- it'll be working on .NET Framework 4(the newest technology mmm:lol:) and you will be able to download add-ons.

It'll be something like this:
5867539382_620a37f9a0.jpg

and after selecting an add-on:
ubuntu-software-center_500x353.jpg

Of course with another appearance and categories(select able themes yaay!). Just an app with simple interface and features like on OH. Heh, maybe it doesn't make sense, because why create a programs which is almost the same as it's website(features) but with another appearance? My answer is- Why not?

EDIT:
if OHM is down the app is down too?

Yes, because otherwise I would need to download add-ons from OHM and upload them again to my server, which would take months, and I would pay for hosting(I can't do it). It'll be an overlay program for OHM website.

Last edited:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
But...the principle thing here is that Orbit Hanger Mods is just fine. It will stay fine because of it's clever support team.

Why do we need a new one?

And how would that be an alternative to OHM, as I read the app would read the database of OHM, so if OHM is down the app is down too? Or is it meant for mirroring the add-ons?

Fair enough, but everything is good as it is. Nothing requires drastic changes such as this.

Wise Man said:
if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
OH already has the top ranked, most wanted files, etc. I don't see the point of putting a front end on something that already has a good enough front end. It's just yet another layer.

I certainly wouldn't use it.

luki1997a

Reaction score
But...the principle thing here is that Orbit Hanger Mods is just fine.
Yes it is.

We don't need a new one. I just want to create app. If you like OHM it's fine. You haven't to download this app. But if you like my app, you can download it. It's an 'another pack for pack of crisps' :lol:.

EDIT

OH already has the top ranked, most wanted files, etc. I don't see the point of putting a front end on something that already has a good enough front end. It's just yet another layer.

I certainly wouldn't use it.

suppose that it'll be an app for my personal use. Program explanation for dummies:lol::
===OHM===
^ function as OHM but in a program layout
| get add-on info
| get add-on list
| connect
==My app==

No writing files, no modifying files, no deleting, no copying, no touching, no crating a new server JUST an application, which downloads files from OHM and shows it's description and etc.

Pointless?- maybe. Why are you creating it?- Why not? Because I want to. I want to try.

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I also don't think you've considered how much work has to be done to make your a database work in the way you want it to without having central control of the content. You're going to have it automatically poll OHM constantly for new add-ons and then insert them into your database and that is just the beginning of it. Basically, you're going to have to write a lot of code to fill a void that the community doesn't have.

Last edited:

luki1997a

Reaction score
I also don't think you've considered how much work has to be done to make your a database work in the way you want it to without having central control of the content. You're going to have it automatically poll OHM constantly for new add-ons and then insert them into your database and that is just the beginning of it. Basically, you're going to have to write a lot of code to do fill a void that the community doesn't have.

As I wrote, no writing. App will just use OHM databases and everything.

Orb, it will download *.zip, *.rar and etc. files. Like on OHM. Add-on loader is another story.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Basically, you're going to have to write a lot of code to do fill a void that the community doesn't have.

Sums it up perfectly.

If you do this, just where will you host it? When you hosted the minecraft server you hosted it on your home PC which was not the most stable of machines. If you want this to really work you'll need your own server.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you want to contribute to OHM, design a better search algorithm for it. OHM has room for improvement there.

luki1997a

Reaction score
Sums it up perfectly.

If you do this, just where will you host it? When you hosted the minecraft server you hosted it on your home PC which was not the most stable of machines. If you want this to really work you'll need your own server.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
OMG, I told app will only read databases of OHM for data. I won't be creating any databases or any of these stuff. Read my posts in this thread again :l...

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
If you want to contribute to OHM, design a better search algorithm for it. OHM has room for improvement there.

Exactly!

Why break off a chunk of OHM when you can add another one to it?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
App will just use OHM databases and everything.
How will you get the data from the database? By parsing the HTML pages returned for search requests?

OHM doesn't have an external API like that to get just data, and to have it, it would require Vash to implement it first, which is the half of the work to make your app working, as I'm sure you won't get any direct access to the database.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
OMG, I told app will only read databases of OHM for data. I won't be creating any databases or any of these stuff. Read my posts in this thread again :l...

Right, so people will need to download something to browse OHM when they could just go to the site directly?

Sorry. Still makes no sense to me.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe you should read-up on databases. You're going to have to have an app that is constantly grabbing new information from OHM and then sorting it to fit your UI (and making it searchable). How you plan on doing that without having any space where your database is hosted seems impossible. Maybe both Gary and I are wrong, though, we only work with IT as our day jobs....