Internet GeoGuessr

Linguofreak

Reaction score
There is a lot of difference between these two languages, although Afrikaans was "borrowed" from Dutch.

The written languages are the same "direction" from English, so to speak.

Still, the look of the terrain in the region should have clued me off to the fact that I wasn't in any place like Holland.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Still, the look of the terrain in the region should have clued me off to the fact that I wasn't in any place like Holland.

Rule of thumb: If there are hills bigger than 100 meters it's not the Netherlands.

Obviously I've never seen the Amstel Gold Race...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
After 3 aborted long attempts...... I got 31534 points! :speakcool: Anyone wanna challenge my score? ;)

This has to be one of the most difficult tries I have on GeoGuessr - took me >1.5 hours spent over 2 days to complete it, but I was able to pinpoint all 5 places in the challenge. Let's see if someone can get a higher score than me...... (hint: you probably would know which country those 5 places are in, but to get >30000 points requires almost exact pinpointing, and none of the 5 are easy) :tiphat:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
After 3 aborted long attempts...... I got 31534 points! :speakcool: Anyone wanna challenge my score? ;)

This has to be one of the most difficult tries I have on GeoGuessr - took me >1.5 hours spent over 2 days to complete it, but I was able to pinpoint all 5 places in the challenge. Let's see if someone can get a higher score than me...... (hint: you probably would know which country those 5 places are in, but to get >30000 points requires almost exact pinpointing, and none of the 5 are easy) :tiphat:

First location was easy. I was close on my preliminary guess, but google maps narrowed it down. On to the second...

Second Location: Winery sign is a little cheesy...found it!

Third location: Should have gone with my instinct on that one...

Fourth: I really should have gotten that one, since I lived ~20km from there

Fifth: Ugh...

I lost with 16k points.

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score

[barney_mode]Challenge accepted.:thumbup:[/barney_mode]

1st: First things I notice: I'm really bad at French since I thought it was Spanish. Why does a French city have a huge Jesus. Is that a dog or a sheep next to the church? Then the roadsign gave it away. 0.008 km so closer than you but the same number of points.
2nd: All roads through North American forests look the same to me. I'd bet it's the same Nova Scotian road I've already been once. Roadsigns a good kilometer down the road gave it away. 0.084 km again closer and 14 points more!:p
3rd: That's unfair since I can't read any roadsigns. And I'm feeling racist since it's probably Japan and you can't speak Japanese, too. These fools are driving at the false side of the road so definitley Japan. That was actually a really hard one but I found the highway number and a junction name and google maped it down to one meter, another meter closer than you with the same number of points.
4th: Dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, sounds like fun. The shadow of the vehicle looks like a LM. Looks like a fun holiday place, if I'd just have the money. OK, the Japan one wasn't hard, this one is. "Road work ahead"? That's not a road by my standards, that's a trail. Crappy picture quality makes signs unreadable, I swear I'll follow this road to NYC and then can't find the way back. After following this road for half an hour I thought about getting a PS3 with Read Dead Redemption, don't know what that says but kinda sounds important. What about spending the money used for mapping dirt roads in Nowhereistan on important issues? Haha, after an hour I got a clue, US highway numbers in crappy suburbs ftw! Note to myself: Don't forget again how you got there. Hell yeah, 283 meters wrong, 913 points more than GPS!
5th: Here we go again, I officially hate Geoguessr. Thanks Canada for naming your rivers so oddly that they're easy to find. I actually prefer this place to the 4th for a holiday. 3 meters closer than you, same points.

Result: 90 minutes of my life spent geoguessing instead of kerbaling, 32361 points and completed an accepted challenge.

Or to say it in the words of Duke Nukem: Hail to the king, baby.

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Do I now have to make a geoguess challenge someone else has to beat?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
[barney_mode]Challenge accepted.:thumbup:[/barney_mode]

1st: First things I notice: I'm really bad at French since I thought it was Spanish. Why does a French city have a huge Jesus. Is that a dog or a sheep next to the church? Then the roadsign gave it away. 0.008 km so closer than you but the same number of points.
2nd: All roads through North American forests look the same to me. I'd bet it's the same Nova Scotian road I've already been once. Roadsigns a good kilometer down the road gave it away. 0.084 km again closer and 14 points more!:p
3rd: That's unfair since I can't read any roadsigns. And I'm feeling racist since it's probably Japan and you can't speak Japanese, too. These fools are driving at the false side of the road so definitley Japan. That was actually a really hard one but I found the highway number and a junction name and google maped it down to one meter, another meter closer than you with the same number of points.
4th: Dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, sounds like fun. The shadow of the vehicle looks like a LM. Looks like a fun holiday place, if I'd just have the money. OK, the Japan one wasn't hard, this one is. "Road work ahead"? That's not a road by my standards, that's a trail. Crappy picture quality makes signs unreadable, I swear I'll follow this road to NYC and then can't find the way back. After following this road for half an hour I thought about getting a PS3 with Read Dead Redemption, don't know what that says but kinda sounds important. What about spending the money used for mapping dirt roads in Nowhereistan on important issues? Haha, after an hour I got a clue, US highway numbers in crappy suburbs ftw! Note to myself: Don't forget again how you got there. Hell yeah, 283 meters wrong, 913 points more than GPS!
5th: Here we go again, I officially hate Geoguessr. Thanks Canada for naming your rivers so oddly that they're easy to find. I actually prefer this place to the 4th for a holiday. 3 meters closer than you, same points.

Result: 90 minutes of my life spent geoguessing instead of kerbaling, 32361 points and completed an accepted challenge.

Or to say it in the words of Duke Nukem: Hail to the king, baby.

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Do I now have to make a geoguess challenge someone else has to beat?

Seeing that someone has surpassed my record, here's my re-collection of how I did that with only the main Google Maps page used without resorting to Googling:

1. I noticed the French signs immediately - and roaming around shows that it seems to be a seaside resort town, but it took me around 10 minutes before I found its name - Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, and another 5 minutes before I found it midway between Marseilles and Montpelier. Apparently the town is a pilgrimage destination and a town with visits from the likes of Vincent van Gogh, Ernest Hemingway and Picasso.

2. The dual English/French road signs points immediately to some Canadian highway, and the road advertisements all points to a city named North Bay. A cursory search around the large waterways of Canada locates it 350 km north of Toronto. The exact point is 13 km north of the city on Ontario Highway 11.

3. I'll admit being able to read some Japanese made that easier - I quickly knew that the point is on the Pacific coast east of Tokyo by finding the highway name. Then another road sign pointing to a train station nails it down. The place is about 100 km from Tokyo and the general area is, IIRC, a popular resort area for Tokyo residents.

4. This one very nearly made me surrender. A dirt road seemingly winding up and down along nowhere - it could have been anywhere on Earth. The only clues at first are a US road sign and bison roaming the grasslands (my brain was screaming "Wyoming" - amazingly my instinct was spot on!). I tried again the next day and found the dirt track turning into paved roads and, after traveling for what must be dozens of miles, found myself in a large town with bicycle tracks but with nothing that I can identify (apparently I missed the major highways). After frantic searching I bumped into a truck with Idaho markings and some buildings/parks that can only be a university. After some searching I finally nailed it down as Laramie - 2nd largest city of Wyoming (pop. only 27000!) and home to the University of Wyoming. Unfortunately I missed by 10 km when putting my marker on. :facepalm:

5. I got lucky with this one. The unpaved road, polar landscapes and river signs that looks Canadian was suggestive, but the lack of road intersections made it very difficult. I found that on one direction the highway ends on a "lake" (I actually got it wrong), yet there are highway posts with numbers in the 100s and 200s (which means it must be very long), and the presence of heavy trucks made me curious - what kind of highway is this? After some scrolling around I accidentally bumped into the exact place. No wonder I can't find any road intersections - I was on the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dempster_Highway"]Dempster Highway[/ame], the north-most highway of Canada and one of the most remote highways of the world! The exact point is just north of the Mackenzie River crossing (which I mistook for a lake).

So there you go - finishing it without using a search engine! Then again I got lucky without bumping into Australian roads and tracks from nowhere to nowhere or Russian towns (Cyrillic road signs only!)..... :uhh:

MattBaker

Reaction score
I've used standard google on all except #1 for things like highway numbers->highway and the river name on the last one, which made it kinda easy.

So I salute your efforts, Sir.:salute:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Another challenge - 32351 points bagged in 45 minutes, again without using any search engines! :rofl:

To make this easier to complete, I offer the following hints:

Round 1: You can find which country this city is in by simply roaming around and look for the first country flag you can see. And notice the very long bridge in the background on the promenade?

Round 2: There's a road sign that provides all the information you need a little bit of distance away. Notice that the highway number starts with an "R".

Round 3: I almost had to laugh on this one - it would be almost impossible to identify where this is (especially for you guys), had it not been the fact that I have visited the exact same spot around 8 years ago! :p
Hint 1: You are standing in front of the entrance of a prison museum.
Hint 2: The city this museum is located at may well be the southernmost place in the northern hemisphere that one can find floating ice in the sea in winter (I was treated with such strange scenes when I re-visited the same city this February).

Round 4: One of the direction you can take leads to another highway that has been covered by newer Google Street View cars, complete with highway signs and distance markers that makes the spot unmistakable.

Round 5: A small distance away from the forest and farmlands is a 4 way junction with road signs (complete with highway numbers and distance markers) with destinations having names that one can easily associate with the correct country the place is in.

Good luck! :yes:

E

ex-orbinaut

Wost. Geoguesser. Ever.

I'm on a BOAT!

Think that's bad?

Apologies. Just a little off the Geoguesser topic, but the same gist of things.

I spotted THIS on Picasa earlier today while organizing some pictures, and remembered this thread. It is horrendously difficult, by comparison, as sometimes you just get a picture of a cat on a sofa. Asleep. Close up. Indoors. Not fair...

Unstung

Reaction score
Interestingly, I've got the middle of Red Square once. I think my guess was within .0031 km.