Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Ah, i see.
So, the SC3 simply does not work at all when used with a graphic client, right?
And to work around you copy the INIs to the server directory.
GV, on the other hand, does not have this problem.

So, the solution will be to look for INI in the right place, and if not found, look in the server place, to retain compatibility with the bugfix.

Is that correct?

When I open Genericvessel dialog from F4/Custom menu , editor is empty. When I click on reload it CTDs Orbiter (both inline and d3d9 client).
Somewhat of a bug - the editor should be empty, but it shouldn't CTD.

Would be nice if Editor dialog had load button for selecting ini file to spawn new GV vehicles.
Interesting.
Shouldn't be too hard to do.

it doesn't show <free> in the attachment status window and it cannot be reattached by pressing Lshift + keypad 0 again.
Is it some specific attachment?
Would it work if you cycle through them and try again?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have what might be a silly question; but does genericvessel support nosewheel turning for aircraft/spaceplane during taxiway moves (or just after touchdown)?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
GV doesn't seem to be looking for .inis in modules/server/config/spacecraft in D3D9 client.
Does it have something to do with the Symbolic Links that graphics clients need?
Found it.
http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/documentation

There is a compatibility issue between SC3 and orbiter_ng, necessitating using links or other tricks to get the vessels to work.
I call this a bug in SC3 (rather, lack of extreme foresight).

By the book, you create a symlink from config to modules/server/config to fix the issue.
Therefore, the GV's current behaviour of always looking in the proper directory works under both cases of link or no link, and there should be no problem.

Is that ok?

I have what might be a silly question; but does genericvessel support nosewheel turning for aircraft/spaceplane during taxiway moves (or just after touchdown)?
Not at the moment.

Should be straightforward to add, however - it's an internal Orbiter feature, that is either on or off by dll's request.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Apart from warning message in splashscreen GV appears to work with d3d9 client without symbolic links in Modules\Server\.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
All that may seem a bit technical to unexperienced Orbinauts, but don't mistake, that's extremely important work for all the Orbiter community, so congratulations, many thanks and keep going guys ! :thumbup: :cheers:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Would it be possible, once you get to the 'extended mission' phase, to add support for multiple robotic arms per vessel? I believe SC3 is limited to only one per.

By the book, you create a symlink from config to modules/server/config to fix the issue.
Therefore, the GV's current behaviour of always looking in the proper directory works under both cases of link or no link, and there should be no problem.

Is that ok?

I say yes, since the option to create these links is baked into the client (D3D9):

Attachments

• D3D9 Advanced Settings.jpg
    D3D9 Advanced Settings.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also, more drag elements for chutes and reverse thrusters.

The best thing that robotics does, is allow for movement of an attachment point, more of these would be great.

Adding the thrust and vectoring of thrust from the child is needed.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I find the lack of bug reports encouraging. :)
Hopefully, it means a lack of bugs, not a lack of reports themselves. :shifty:

So, i might as well start improving.
The changes will accumulate and get lost, so i thing first order of business is to rewrite the SC3 manual - get it into editable format, bring it up to speed, and then start marking additions.

All the new stuff will be strictly an extension - every SC3 vessel should work under GV, but not necessarily vice versa.

Would it be possible, once you get to the 'extended mission' phase, to add support for multiple robotic arms per vessel? I believe SC3 is limited to only one per.
Should not be too difficult.
How to define?
Which keys to switch between them?

Also, more drag elements for chutes and reverse thrusters.

Um... To extend [AERODYNAMICS] section?
Or do you mean MODEL?

Adding the thrust and vectoring of thrust from the child is needed.
Elaborate please?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Um... To extend [AERODYNAMICS] section?
Or do you mean MODEL?

I think Domamy means something like secondary and independednt airbrake.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
One bug is the animation parenting tree not working properly.

I have a carrier that carries a vehicle. It has to raise the vehicle to pick it up, then translate it, using of course the robotic attachment. It attaches ok, but when I try to raise the platform, the vehicle being carried rotates, when it should not, and it won't translate either.

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Another bug. When you press the leftshift + keypad number, you should be able to let go of the leftshift first, then the number and the animation should continue to the end. This is good for long animations, so yoou don't have to continuously hold down the buttons.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Should not be too difficult.
How to define?
Which keys to switch between them?

Not sure which keys would be the best, but I'd suggest doing something similar to switching between the attachment points themselves, with the user getting feedback in the debug string or maybe even on the HUD as to which robotic arm has been selected.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
One bug is the animation parenting tree not working properly.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, this should bye the library.
It might well be, but in this sort of thing words are not worth the electrons carrying them.
It's like asking to do surgery over a photograph - i can't have any clue what is going wrong.

Please name/send the actual add-ons used, and how to reproduce the problem.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would it be possible to include a special Lua interface, that allows implementing event handlers for a generic vessel? Like for example a special key handler or maybe custom HUD painting?
I'd like to ask for a Lua I/F as well. I'm thinking along the lines of being able to execute special commands tied to for example, animations. This way animations could be triggered remotely, without the GV being the focus vessel.

Same deal with for example attachments, or docking ports.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You can download my JasonLEO addon along with the Voyager Telescope. Then run the "Deploy Voyager Telescope" scenario. While focused on the JasonLEO, press Lshift +keypad 1 to open the rear door. Change fosus to the Voyager_Telescope_truss, press space bar to bring up the robotics status window, when you press Lshift + keypad 2/8, the telesocpe should slide out of the bay, but it doesn't.

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5619"]Jason LEO vehicle[/ame]

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5637"]Voyager Telescope[/ame]

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
I was just reading the other thread last week where genericvessel got brought up, and I almost made a post then asking for more development of that project.

But I didn't, because I do hate to goad developers...

But now that you've brought it up, let me express my excitement for the project! This is something I would use everyday.

In fact, I have a Orbiter Install filled with Greg Burch era vessels that I'll drop Genericvessel into and see what happens, and then report back to you.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Version 140126 is out:
http://spaceway.1gb.ru/files/genericvessel-140126.zip (420Kb)
-Fixed ARM animation issues when tip is poorly defined
-Fixed abnormal section definition glitch
-Changed arm key handling to match SC3

the telesocpe should slide out of the bay, but it doesn't.
Just what the ever living tarnation was Vinka smoking...

Anyway, i think i've untangled the way it worked, and now the arms should work no matter how they were defined.

Please test again.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just ran a quick test... Seems to work very well ! :thumbup: :tiphat:

Just what the ever living tarnation was Vinka smoking...

:rofl:

Now, how does it work ? Spacecraft 3 is still required, no ? I'm a bit lost there. Do the new module somehow intercepts and transforms SC3 module data input/output ? :hmm:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Here's something:

Any reason your Universal Autopilot 0.3.1 would not work with GenericVessel?