OHM GeneralVehicle

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is my msl rover. I made the mesh from a paper model and 4throck redid the textures.
Space open the box for the controls of the HGA, camera
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0JgX41wexYRVldSSzhJNFM3a3c

---------- Post added 06-13-17 at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-12-17 at 07:01 PM ----------

So is there a way to steer but no steer animation?
Like on a tank where the one side stop rotating on one side and the other side rotates?

36t0zUn.jpg

rover at skycrane crash site:
r9hQrJO.jpg

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

So is there a way to steer but no steer animation?
Like on a tank where the one side stop rotating on one side and the other side rotates?

That would be something else, that Fred18 might take a look at. :cheers:

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A fantastic replacement for UCGO:thumbup:
Hope it grows in time to reach a level close to UCGO. It looks promising already. And has the source code available too. Lots of thanks.

Now what to do about OrbiterSound?? Seems DanSteph has left for good.:(

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A fantastic replacement for UCGO:thumbup:
Not sure I would go that far. UCGO dealt with cargo. UCGO seems to work in 2016 not UMMU. So you can load/unload a vessel but you can have a guy unpack.

I have tried it yet though. Not sure how you could do it.

You can hard code the ucgo locations in a dll

I think General Vehicle is a needed add-on

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, at the very least, it's an excellent replacement for the "C" in UCGO (Universal Cars & carGO).

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, at the very least, it's an excellent replacement for the "C" in UCGO (Universal Cars & carGO).

Yes.

And it is pretty simply to use the meshes with UCGO to use in General Vehicle.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure I would go that far. UCGO dealt with cargo. UCGO seems to work in 2016 not UMMU. So you can load/unload a vessel but you can have a guy unpack.

I have tried it yet though. Not sure how you could do it.

You can hard code the ucgo locations in a dll

I think General Vehicle is a needed add-on

Yeah. UCGO works somewhat in Orbiter 2016. But it has difficulty in following terrain. Doesn't support the new landing points system. And crashes to desktop when you go to cockpit view. Also the physical simulation model of GeneralVehicle is so much more accurate than UCGO. Plus, it has local lights support. Can turn indicator lights be added too? Alongwith the headlights which are already present? And what about the sound? That's a plus point of UCGO. Custom sounds for the vehicles

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. UCGO works somewhat in Orbiter 2016. But it has difficulty in following terrain. Doesn't support the new landing points system. And crashes to desktop when you go to cockpit view. Also the physical simulation model of GeneralVehicle is so much more accurate than UCGO. Plus, it has local lights support. Can turn indicator lights be added too? Alongwith the headlights which are already present? And what about the sound? That's a plus point of UCGO. Custom sounds for the vehicles

Relevant to turn indicators i haven't thought about that. Honestly i don't see them as a needed adding, but correct me if i'm wrong.

Relevant to sound, i still don't know how in c++ to change the pitch of a sound (that's what it would be needed for simulate the engine). If anybody can give me a hint on that i'll surely add it!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Relevant to turn indicators i haven't thought about that. Honestly i don't see them as a needed adding

Ditto.

Relevant to sound, i still don't know how in c++ to change the pitch of a sound (that's what it would be needed for simulate the engine).

I would expect OrbiterSound to provide such functionality, actually. Have you checked the SDK doc?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I would expect OrbiterSound to provide such functionality, actually. Have you checked the SDK doc?

I think Fred meant that regarding his own sound implementation.

In principle, now is the time where the natural replacement of Dan's software is coming up. However, I fear that serious work put into this field will be all for naught once Dan comes out with a new version after some time. People might then go back to the "original", because they don't realize what lock-in means.

So doing "just" the absolute minimum in this regards could be a practical approach. IMHO, Fred is on the right track :thumbup: .

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has anybody ever asked Dan if he's planning on updating his add-ons? Not when, just if.

I think Fred meant that regarding his own sound implementation.

Oh. I didn't realise he was doing his own sound library.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well if turn indicators are added then brake lights also.

So then when brake is pressed the red lights light up. Then you would need 2 or 3

I think people what what UCGO vehicles had

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Has anybody ever asked Dan if he's planning on updating his add-ons? Not when, just if.

Dan did not speak up for quite some time now. I think such a question is also pointless. If he answers with yes, there is no change to the status quo. If he answers with no, there is no change to the status quo. In both cases people are left with an outdated middle-ware for an unknown time.
The risk of a newly developed middle-ware becoming obsoleted again - because he might then simply change his mind and invest time in Orbiter again (nothing you could blame him for) - is still there.

I think the most plausible answer is "maybe", anyway. :lol:

AFAIK, he implemented his own sound feature in Multistage2015. It is not exactly a library, though.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
jedidia said:

AFAIK, he implemented his own sound feature in Multistage2015. It is not exactly a library, though.

Just to be clear on that: since I'm expecting Dan to come out sooner or later with the new Orbiter Sound I'm not making a library or a complex system. I just use the "playsound" command of C++ or something similar when it happens and it appears to be harmless even with OrbiterSound itself. Just not to implement a not working orbiter sound addon but to have some bits of sound when it is nice. In Multistage2015 I just added the sound calls in guidance. Here I could add the engine sound. But to do that nicely I'd need a way to change pitch etc. I'll give it a look but to be honest, I don't want to spend hours on managing sound and then throw everything away when the new OrbiterSound comes out.

@Gattis: braking lights are already there!!! you don't see them because you see the light they produce and not the light bulb itself, but try the car at night and you'll see braking lights!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just to be clear on that: since I'm expecting Dan to come out sooner or later with the new Orbiter Sound I'm not making a library or a complex system. I just use the "playsound" command of C++ or something similar when it happens and it appears to be harmless even with OrbiterSound itself. Just not to implement a not working orbiter sound addon but to have some bits of sound when it is nice. In Multistage2015 I just added the sound calls in guidance. Here I could add the engine sound. But to do that nicely I'd need a way to change pitch etc. I'll give it a look but to be honest, I don't want to spend hours on managing sound and then throw everything away when the new OrbiterSound comes out.

Just what I thought. I think this is a very pragmatic approach. :tiphat:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Fred. Can GV be used for a landing vehicle ?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Fred. Can GV be used for a landing vehicle ?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you attach it as a child to another vessel you can take it wherever you want.
Anyway as long as you don't press any key the status of the general vehicle won't be forced to be landed