Question General Spaceflight Q&A

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Has Dextre been used as of yet? I find it incredibly interesting that it was assembled in orbit, contrary to the typical unpacking. (I just have to say that watching trained professionals remove "pillow covers" makes me a little sad inside. :()

Also, if the Shuttle was extended (which isn't happening) or if Direct comes along. What modules would be able to attach to station. What payloads are currently sitting ducks in the Space Station Processing Facility back in Florida...Forget that one, just answered it myself. Cupola and the remaining Kibo exterior platform+arm.

Instead what will happen to the Space Station infrastructure, like the SSPF, after 2010?

redrover

Reaction score
How will the ISS be able to evacuate a crew of 7? Where will they sleep? And will NASA install a second toilet?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How will the ISS be able to evacuate a crew of 7? Where will they sleep? And will NASA install a second toilet?

The ISS has consumable reserves which allow that for a reasonable time. they will sleep, where they can find place - it will become pretty crowded anyway. no second toilet - nobody did ever say it will be comfortable.

redrover

Reaction score
So what happened to the planned habitation module? Was it cancelled?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not so much, but everything in the crew compartment, that isn't nailed down, moves in the opposite direction.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I am the manager for Project ISS, (see addon deveopment).

I want to know, what will the location be for Node 3? I thought it was the Nadir (underneath) of Unity, but a co-developer of mine (Thorton) thinks it will be the port side

Do you know which is correct?

-Orbinaut Pete

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am the manager for Project ISS, (see addon deveopment).

I want to know, what will the location be for Node 3? I thought it was the Nadir (underneath) of Unity, but a co-developer of mine (Thorton) thinks it will be the port side

Do you know which is correct?

-Orbinaut Pete
Thorton has it correct. Because of MRM-1's location(Zarya FGB nadir), Node 3 cannot be placed on Unity Node 1 nadir. It has to mounted elsewhere, in this case, Node 1 port.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Thorton has it correct. Because of MRM-1's location(Zarya FGB nadir), Node 3 cannot be placed on Unity Node 1 nadir. It has to mounted elsewhere, in this case, Node 1 port.
To clarify, my understanding is that Node 3 cannot be located on Node 1 nadir because that would leave insufficient clearances for using the docking port on the nadir of MRM1. The originally planned configuration of Node 3 on Node 1 nadir would have worked because of the greater length of the cancelled Russian Research Module.

BTW, the Cupola will be located on the nadir of Node 3.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Node 3 houses the new life support systems for the station. Also, I believe that it contains the Waste and Hygiene Compartment (or toliet).

pandadude

Aussie Orbinaut
Reaction score
1. How much privacy do they get on the ISS? Do the crew members have any area which they can go to for privacy?
2. The crew do get days off don't they? I know they spend most of their time performing experiments etc, but when they have time off, what can they do? What is there for them to do aboard the ISS?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Video over S-band

From the STS-126 thread:
Small note about S-Band. It's where Wireless networks lie so it's not the physical limitations preventing a continuous stream, it's the systems that have to process it that limites the bandwidth.
It is not so much a limit of the systems, rather a limit due to signal to noise ratios (SNRs). Whilst the frequencies are similar (2.2GHz vs 2.4GHz) the SNR for the downlink from the shuttle is much worse than for a typical Wi-Fi link. Broadly speaking the signal is much smaller (due to distance) but the noise is about the same (See the Shannon–Hartley theorem for the effect of SNR on channel capacity). The S-band high data rate (using the quadrant antennas) is 192kbps consisting of two 32kbps voice channels and one 128kbps telemetry channel[1]. As far as I understand it, imagery can be sent down on the telemetry channel but telemetry obviously takes the bulk of that channel.

Ku-band gives better data rates because it operates at both high frequencies (15GHz) and at better SNRs (due to directional antenna). Data rates can be as high as 50Mbps[1].

[1] Human Space Flight Shuttle Reference Manual

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Space Shuttle Launch Callouts

Hey guys, can some one please find a list of all the Launch callouts on a space shuttle mission, like the Press to MECO and all that.

ElPelado

Reaction score
Hi
Does anybody have a list of all the calls during launch? All the calls regarding abort modes and "two-engines" or "single engine"
Thanks!

ripley1

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread,but I just want to ask a question about the RCS thrusters on STS. How loud are they when fired and is the RCS sound in Orbiter accurate?