Question General Spaceflight Q&A

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I can't find a better place and I don't really want a whole new thread for this. :p

I was just looking at the pictures of today's STS-130 Shuttle launch, and towards the bottom of this picture you can see a series of 6 lines. Can someone tell me what they are?
They're the wires for the slidewire baskets.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
After SRB sep

Turbinator

Reaction score
Is there any place with detailed information on an RTLS abort? I tried doing this in Orbiter a few days ago. However, after SRB separation, I always end up coming in way to short, or overshooting the launch site.

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Try this:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4182"]RTLS Abort Tutorial for the Shuttle Fleet Update 1[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there any place with detailed information on an RTLS abort? I tried doing this in Orbiter a few days ago. However, after SRB separation, I always end up coming in way to short, or overshooting the launch site.

About the real one, there is the related workbook published by NASA on their homepage.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/383447main_intact_ascent_aborts_workbook_21002.pdf

This explains the RTLS very good. I can only recommend people with interest in the shuttle operations to bookmark the FOIA page of JSC... tons of stuff for reading.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/news/flightdatafiles/index.html

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The download I mentioned includes some actual NASA documentation (which is why I recommended it). The others mentioned are also very good references.

Dambuster

Reaction score
I've noticed that in the 3D cockpit for the Space Shuttle in Orbiter there's a switch which says 'SRB Separation' 'Man/Auto or Auto' and a 'SEP' button. There's a similar thing for the ET. I assume these are disabled generally, but when/why are they used? Are they only for abort situations?

And on the topic of aborts, with the rotary switch on the abort panel, what's the immediate effect on the STS of selecting one of the options?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
And on the topic of aborts, with the rotary switch on the abort panel, what's the immediate effect on the STS of selecting one of the options?

Depends on the abort mode selected. The flight computer software has profiles for various abort modes so when one of the modes is selected the relevant software is fired up and the shuttle reacts according to those programmed requirements.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I've noticed that in the 3D cockpit for the Space Shuttle in Orbiter there's a switch which says 'SRB Separation' 'Man/Auto or Auto' and a 'SEP' button. There's a similar thing for the ET. I assume these are disabled generally, but when/why are they used? Are they only for abort situations?

They are used when automatic separation is not possible.

There is no effect, before you press the abort button next to it.

Once you pressed the abort switch, the software changes directly to the right abort and automatically loads the needed abort targets. if you switch to RTLS for example, the PEG 0 guidance would be terminated and the PEG 6 guidance take over, together with the switch of the display modes (from 102 or 103 to 601).

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I have a question about the payload.. well, actually about how they put the payload in Discovery.

153212main_canister-430.jpg

the payload is hanging in the RSS, but how do they put that in Discovery? just roll the RSS back? and where are the payload bay doors/radiator mounted on, the canister or Discovery?

Why do I want to know this? because I like those little details :thumbup:

Thanks

Iron

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The Payload Canister mimics the shuttle payload bay. The RSS has something called the Payload Changeout Room(PCR). In the PCR is large device called the Payload Ground Handling Mechanism(PGHM). The PGHM is used to move payloads in/out of the orbiter/payload canister.

Usually the canister goes to the pad ahead of the shuttle. Once the canister has arrived right below the PCR, a lift sling is attached to it and the canister is slowly lifted up to a mate position with the PCR.

Once the canister is secured in the mate position as set of inflatable dock seals are inflated and the section between the canister the main PCR doors are purged with clean air to establish clean room conditions. Once the clean room has been established, the PCR doors are opened. Then the canister doors are opened.

Then the PGHM is moved so it can grab a hold to the payloads in the canister. Once it has a firm hold of the payloads, it backs away and then the canister doors are closed.

Then the PCR doors are closed and the dock seals deflated. Then the canister is lowered back down and disconnected from the lift sling and transported away.

Then the same procedure is repeated with the orbiter once it arrives at the pad.

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
Does that mean that Magellan, Galileo and all the other things transported into space where put into the Shuttle on the pad?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
And another payload question - Payloads that are put into the canister - are they put in 'upside down' so that they can be slid straight across into the bay?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
And another payload question - Payloads that are put into the canister - are they put in 'upside down' so that they can be slid straight across into the bay?
No. Maybe this photo will help you visualize how the PGHM moves: http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_US/shuttle/ksc/LC39/LC39 RSS PCR shuttle20081006big.jpg

The orbiter PLB is to the left while the PGHM with the payloads are to the right. The PGHM moves all the way back to clear the orbiter/canister.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Does that mean that Magellan, Galileo and all the other things transported into space where put into the Shuttle on the pad?

Not automatically, but I think in these cases yes. Some payloads are also installed while the Shuttle is in the OPF, but all that needs work until shortly before launch is handled in the RSS.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
The Payload Canister mimics the shuttle payload bay. The RSS has something called the Payload Changeout Room(PCR). In the PCR is large device called the Payload Ground Handling Mechanism(PGHM). The PGHM is used to move payloads in/out of the orbiter/payload canister.

Usually the canister goes to the pad ahead of the shuttle. Once the canister has arrived right below the PCR, a lift sling is attached to it and the canister is slowly lifted up to a mate position with the PCR.

Once the canister is secured in the mate position as set of inflatable dock seals are inflated and the section between the canister the main PCR doors are purged with clean air to establish clean room conditions. Once the clean room has been established, the PCR doors are opened. Then the canister doors are opened.

Then the PGHM is moved so it can grab a hold to the payloads in the canister. Once it has a firm hold of the payloads, it backs away and then the canister doors are closed.

Then the PCR doors are closed and the dock seals deflated. Then the canister is lowered back down and disconnected from the lift sling and transported away.

Then the same procedure is repeated with the orbiter once it arrives at the pad.

okay, thank you!:thumbup:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score

I can see why you would think that, but remember, payloads are transferred from the canister to the PGHM inside the PCR when the RSS is retracted. Once the payloads are “held” by the PGHM and the canister has been removed, the RSS is swung round so that the PGHM (with the attached payloads) faces onto the Payload Bay (PLB). ;)

Also, it hasn’t been mentioned before, but the PGHM is pronounced “pigum”. :)

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
on the Dutch television was something about more shuttle missions. did someone heard it to? (I don't know the details because I heard it from my dad ;))