Gemini Landing

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Since Meadville haven't had any activity since last time I looked, I'll ask here instead...

When i do a re-entry, everything works fine, up until the splashdown. The Gemini spacecraft is supposed to do a splashdown on its belly, which it (in my simulation) almost does, however, when it touches the surface (water), it lands in quite an odd position, sort of balancing on one end of the heat shield, with the nose pointed upwards...

Is it just me who gets this, or is it a known "problem"?

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I get the same thing.

I think its done this way so you can use a helicopter to recover it. (It has the docking port up), maybe I'm confusing it with Project Mercury.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Ya I know the Gemini was s'posed to land like this:
10074260.jpg

Whereas mine ends up like this:
f_Geminilandm_f0807dc.jpg

And im quite sure I've seen a gemini capsule in Orbiter, lying like the RL photo above, i just cant find it D:

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I always get a CTD just prior to or at the parafoil release ........ even with the patch. Log says chute mesh not there and I know it frakking well is as I've loeded the @#$% ^&%$^% $%#$ thing enough times .......... GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also get CTD and all kinds of other freaky behaviour - even with the patch in. I really think the boys at Meadville need to smooth this one out.

estar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
when you get the main chute, do you drop down to two point supension by tapping the letter D? Gemini doesn't come down like mercury with the heat shield down. The problem is probably because I assume you had dropped down to two-point suspension and rotate back to compensate when you hit the water.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Nope. It's a CTD right after mains deploy for me. If I try to release the 2 point, I get CTD quicker. I even get CTD when letting the altimeter run the show. I can fly a flawless mission, even on manual control, and it crashes at splashdown phase. Very annoying.

As a result, I rarely fly Gemini missions anymore.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
when you get the main chute, do you drop down to two point supension by tapping the letter D? Gemini doesn't come down like mercury with the heat shield down. The problem is probably because I assume you had dropped down to two-point suspension and rotate back to compensate when you hit the water.

Yup, i drop down to 2-point suspension before landing... And I do not try to roll to compensate either, another note, when landed, the RCS of the spacecraft tries to change the way i'm lying.