Finally managed to land the SSU.

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Woohoo!

Finally managed to successfully de-orbit and land in the SSU.

The rest of the crew was really wishing they had dosed up on Dramamine beforehand, as it was definately less than graceful. I did manage to miss the runway by about 100 yards to the right, though, as I didn't give myself enough room to line up properly on the runway.

But, overall, it was a successful launch of the Space Shuttle Ultra on mission ESB-001 (Earth Station Build) from Canaveral, deployment of the first module of Station Threshold in a 305x308 orbit, de-orbit and return to launch site (+/- 100 yards). :p And using CRT to control all the OMS burns.

For the longest time, I thought I was doing something wrong, or my joystick was hosed, as no matter what I tried once it really started biting into the atmosphere I couldn't get the pitch up ... the best I could do was bring the nose up to about -5 degrees with full up on the stick.

Needless to say, continually bringing in Mach 5+ lawn darts was starting to get old. Best I can figure is something was causing the SSU to act like the bodyflap was at full extention. Finally reinstalled, now it's acting fine.

Now, I just have to learn to rendesvous without emptying the front RCS pack.

Mission ESB-002 has been restarted so many times that in the real world, it would probably be called ESB-057 ... but, I keep getting closer. Last attempt got me within 500 meters.

Can't wait for the next version of the SSU. (I still love the XR1 and XR5, but it's reserved for the next phase, when I need to start hauling station modules out to lunar orbit.)

... Sorry to ramble on ... not the biggest accomplishment in the world, but it's memorable for me.

:cheers:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congrats. :cheers: The Space Shuttle is always a real challenge. (Particularly the Ultra!)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can make the SSU pitch-up slightly by opening it's air brake carefully when becoming slower than ~3000 m/s. That also happens in the real Shuttle.

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Congrats. :cheers: The Space Shuttle is always a real challenge. (Particularly the Ultra!)

Thanks! :woohoo: Now the trick is going to be recreating that success.

You can make the SSU pitch-up slightly by opening it's air brake carefully when becoming slower than ~3000 m/s. That also happens in the real Shuttle.

Yeah, that definately came in handy at landing to get the nose up.

I think I had added/removed so many addons before, though, that I had corrupted something in one of the configs of that install. Nothing (full pull on the stick, RCS running wide open, full airbrakes, plus even opening up the OMS hoping to help push the tail down) would pull the nose up better than -5 degrees once I hit air.

Yeah .... hypersonic lawn darts anyone?

BTW ... before the reload of Orbiter, the bodyflap would show 100% deflection on the CRT/SPI screen (I'm sure this was what was forcing the nose down) ... now it's back to approx 35%. I can't find anything in the docs, but, is this user adjustable? Or did I corrupt something in one of the configs that caused this?

orwellkid

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cheers bud! I remember my first time getting the shuttle to the ISS... I was happier than a pig in... well, you know how that phrase ends ;)

I'm still trying to get my re-entry's to the right base... I keep coming in way early... not sure how to get over this yet. Any tips on how you get to KSC out of orbit? I keep winding up near Edwards. :mad:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
BTW ... before the reload of Orbiter, the bodyflap would show 100% deflection on the CRT/SPI screen (I'm sure this was what was forcing the nose down) ... now it's back to approx 35%. I can't find anything in the docs, but, is this user adjustable? Or did I corrupt something in one of the configs that caused this?

you can change the bodyflap trim with "Ins" and "Del" above the arrow keys - it's a standard orbiter feature.

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get my re-entry's to the right base... I keep coming in way early... not sure how to get over this yet. Any tips on how you get to KSC out of orbit? I keep winding up near Edwards. :mad:

I did my de-orbit burn out in the mid Pacific. That looked a bit late, though, as I had a LOT of altitude to try to get rid of. Yeah, definately an "E" ticket ride.

you can change the bodyflap trim with "Ins" and "Del" above the arrow keys - it's a standard orbiter feature.

*SIGH* *Smacks self in forehead* Thanks.

Now I feel dumb, though, as I think I knew that but forgot. :cry:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cheers bud! I remember my first time getting the shuttle to the ISS... I was happier than a pig in... well, you know how that phrase ends ;)

Aerobrake MFD. I can't live without it. :)

Chupacabra

Reaction score
I like to deorbit over Australia with SSU. That usually works out fine enough.

BTW I have to say that I'm a HUGE fan of SSU! I can't wait to see the update beta.