Idea Fictional Airliner Markings

Graham2001

Reaction score
I have managed to locate a copy of Wes Cravens Red Eye, still on my 'to find' list, Delta Force. Will be watching it over the next few days to pick out the best shots.

If anyone has attempted to do anything with the shots so far, I'm looking forward to the results...

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
I finally managed to get a copy of the special edition of CE:3K which had the deleted sequences so here are some clearer images of the 'Air East' plane. Markings appear to be Black and White only.

AirEast01_zps0882599c.png

AirEast02_zpsc2dbc611.png

Looking forward to when someone makes use of all the images in this thread.

Graham2001

Reaction score
Found this Wile E. Coyote type image, based on an album cover, by the only band to appear in GURPS: Autoduel... Will be hunting down the album to see if the missing front end of the plane is on it.

1706047059b2b10255.jpg

Looks to be based on the American airlines colour scheme.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was thinking that Air East jet looks like a re-painted Delta Airlines jet but that looks like a 707 and I don't think Delta ever operated those.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I was thinking that Air East jet looks like a re-painted Delta Airlines jet but that looks like a 707 and I don't think Delta ever operated those.

According to Wikipedia Delta Airlines operated Convair 880's

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_880"]Wikipedia: Convair 880[/ame]

There is a rear shot in the article showing one in Delta Airline markings, which look to be the basis of the markings in the screen shots.

Graham2001

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, it looks like the Internet Movie Plane Database has been taken offline for some reason.

Where I can I will be using my own copies of the films to replace the missing images.

Given that we have three modified American Airlines schemes Columbia Airlines, Stevens Corporation & Beastie Boys, hopfully some of them will be gracing(?) the Orbiter skies soon.

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
I am continuing (where possible) to replace screen-shots from the IMPDB with ones from my own collection of films. Oceanic 343 (See the Op section on 'Executive Decision'.) now has some new screenshots, as does the unidentified TransGlobal flight from Airport.

Later: Looks like the IMPBD is back online.

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
After a long hunt I've finally managed to get my hands on a copy of Delta Force. (See: Post #14 for other images from that film.)

Here is a clearer view of the tail of the hijacked 707.

And a close up of the forward markings.

[URL=http://s113.photobucket.com/user/Bloodwyche/media/Fictional%20Airline%20Markings/Delta_Force_02_zpsfizribit.png.html] [/URL]

Supernatural horror is unleashed on a Trans-Pacific flight. Despite the use of CG there seem to be very few shots of the aircrafts exterior, these two are the best. Tail markings will have to be somewhat freelanced. Colours are Blue, Red & White.

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
What looks to be a fairly simple to do DC-10 scheme for Century Airlines. Would also like to see if 747 version of this could be done as well.

Attachments

• Random_Track_1980_Cover.jpg
    Random_Track_1980_Cover.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 12

Graham2001

Reaction score
The chance find of an battered old Readers Digest edition brings us Anglo-World Airlines from the novel 'The Sound of Wings'. Colours are Maroon and Silver. The novel mentions the airline uses L1011s, but this could easily be modded to work on a DC-10 or 747.

The_Sound_of_Wings_zpsl46sotjd.jpg

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Although not an airline, you could extend this thread by including fictionally-marked iconic aircraft from various TV shows etc.

I was thinking about the "Screaming Mimi" helicopter from the 80s TV show Riptide, which is a Sikorski S-58T painted up to look beat up for the show.

iu

The actual aircraft is well-maintained and is used for fighting forest fires and doing utility work today; here is the owner's website for the Mimi: http://summithelicopter.com/mamamimi.htm

Her current livery (with "Screaming Mimi" name under the cockpit window)

iu

Last edited:

Graham2001

Reaction score
From another Op-shop find, Trans-American Airlines from the novel 'Flight 902 Is Down!'

Trans-American Airlines, Flight 902

Flight_902_Is_Down_zpsxzevjmys.png

Scheme appears to be Gold (Tail), White (Upper surfaces), Black (Lower surfaces and lettering) Airline name is spelled out in full above the windows (not visible in the artwork.)

Novel appears to be the reworking of a failed 'All Star Disaster Movie' script based on the forcing down of KAL902 in 1978. There are also some similarities to Airport'79.

Graham2001

Reaction score
The attached is something I found on my hard drive. Not sure of the original source and while not fictional it is highly unlikely. It depicts a Boeing 747 in the markings of the North Korean State Airline...

Attachments

• B747_North_Korean_Markings.jpg
    B747_North_Korean_Markings.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 13

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The attached is something I found on my hard drive. Not sure of the original source and while not fictional it is highly unlikely. It depicts a Boeing 747 in the markings of the North Korean State Airline...

Interesting. According to wiki Air Koryo operates only Soviet/Russian aircraft models, no Boeings. While it's not implausible that some US-made aircraft are in North Korea purchased through third parties and the like, I can't imagine them being able to source good parts for maintaining a Boeing jetliner, even to their own lousy standards.

The wiki article notes that Air Koryo has been banned from operating in the EU due to safety concerns.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the TV show "Man in the High Castle"? It's an alternate history in which the Axis powers win WWII and America is split between the Third Reich and the Japanese Empire, set in 1962.

The Nazis have developed supersonic transport jets and they are used by the state-run airline in regular service between NY and Berlin. This is the livery from season 1 of the show:

iu

Season 2 shows a variation in the tail logo, but I can't find a pic of it.

Not that I expect anyone to start making Nazi addons for OF anyway, but the jets themselves are really cool.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's a glimpse of the tail logo in the opening credits.

naziplane.png

Ah, didn't notice that one.

There is a scene early in season 2 where they show the ramp at Berlin and there are lots of SST jets at the terminals. The tail markings seem to vary based on which region the jet serves, kind of like Virgin Atlantic vs. Virgin America, etc.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
The vessel would make a nice add-on.
Our interest is technical, not political.

Since this is not an historical add-on, we can do without the swastika.
On the series it needs to be there for ambience and to establish the location. But for our purposes it's not important.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I remember hearing that back in the early 1980s there was someone who believed that the Nazi's were hiding in the Hollow Earth (which was only reachable via the hole in Antarctica...), he planned to hire a 747 and paint it up in markings not too dissimilar to the ones in Andy44 's post and then fly south and see what could be found, the paint job being to ensure that when the Nazi flying saucers turned up they would realize that the plane was friendly and not shoot it down...

Last edited: