Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, I would like to add one movie because of one space based facet:

"The day after tomorrow" for it's beautiful and accurate depiction of the ISS - you really have to be astronaut or close to it to notice the errors.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
All Star Wars movies except "The Empire Strikes Back".

What didnt you like about the Empire Strikes back?

I like all SW movies, but like someone said, I watch starwars for something else other than the 'space factor'

Last edited:

myles

Reaction score
I kind of like the Core landing, even though reentry happens in like 5 seconds :p

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Favorite ; Apollo 13.
Favorite Movie; Star Wars Episodes III, and V.
Apollo 13 made me cry at the launch scene.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Almost forgot Contact, great movie that was!
Interesting. I like the movie also. I did this 3 years ago. I just never got a chance to work on it again:LOL!:
imcupgrade.jpg

imc1.jpg

imc3.jpg

imc2.jpg

imc4.jpg

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Marooned was a great film! But it's not very uplifting, that's for sure. I have a copy of it, and it goes on my shelf with my other favorite space movies. I wrote a long review of it on M6, but the search function over there gives me "error in database" message, so I can't find it for re-post. But I highly recommend it for all Orbinauts.

I don't consider the Star Wars series to be space movies. To me they are more like sword and sorcery fantasy movies in a highly unrealistic space setting. The original 3 were, of course, incredibly wonderful films, while the more recent 3 prequels were just awful. Not quite as bad as Armageddon, which makes me vomit, but pretty bad. Empire Strikes Back was the best; the AT-AT Hoth land battle scene was simply amazing, and something that today's retarded CGI people just have no clue how to do anymore.

There are some great sci-fi films which have little or nothing to do with space, among them The Thing and Aliens, which are also horror or action films.

And since Urwumpe mentioned Fritz Lang, I have to mention Metropolis, which is a 1927 non-space sci-fi silent film which has one of the coolest evil robots in it (shown below). It's very hard to find a decent copy of it on DVD; but they're out there. No one today has a known copy of the film in it's exact form as first viewed in theatres, all we have is various reconstructed versions, some with different music. In the 1980's, the film was re-released to theatres in a colorized format with a rock and roll soundtrack, and if you have a videotape copy of that version, treat it like gold because you can't find it anywhere today, on DVD or VHS or anything else. I never got to see it, and I wish I could.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Metropolis was also quoted in the music video to Queens "Radio Gaga". That's at least from where I know it.

Chipstone306

Reaction score
Great addon I would love to be launched at the speed of light from KSC! or would i just experiance a time delay and drop into the water never leaving earth?...........

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Movie: Apollo 13. Launch, re-entry, everything is so damn cool, even if there are some small inaccuracies.

The Right Stuff was good.

Haven't seen Contact though. I saw 2001, but had to force myself to keep my eyes open listening to crazy monkey sounds, or Beethoven (or is that Mozart? ) while waiting for the damn docking, or epileptic seizure inducing color flashes. Then when I *finally* reached the end, I was like .. WTF just happened?

Series: From the Earth to the Moon

It just rocked!!

~
Thomas

Last edited:

gimp1992

Reaction score
I like Apollo 13, Marooned and for a laugh Starship Troopers but my all time favorite is The Day the Earth Stood Still

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
2001 - flawed, but brilliant - the silent murder by HAL remains one of the most chilling of all movie moments for me.

Silent Running - really gives you the feel of the vast loneliness of space.

Solaris (Russian version - not Clooney) - another flawed, overlong, film, but nevertheless stunning at times - with one of the best endings I've ever seen.

Dogsbd

Reaction score
Website
members.tripod.com
The Right Stuff with Apollo 13 a very close second place.

Isn't it sad that of all the momentous events of history that been the subject of movies there hasn't been even one "big time" movie solely dedicated to Apollo 11 and mans first landing on another celestial object? I guess the upcoming movie on Armstrong's life will sort of serve the purpose.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Favorite:
Revenge of the sith-the battle in the begining would make Issac Newton cry, but it's still a VERY cool scene:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy, though rumoured not to be as good as the book.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Neil is too cool for Hollywood

Isn't it sad that of all the momentous events of history that been the subject of movies there hasn't been even one "big time" movie solely dedicated to Apollo 11 and mans first landing on another celestial object? I guess the upcoming movie on Armstrong's life will sort of serve the purpose.

Well, From the Earth to the Moon covered it pretty well, but the fact is that Apollo 11, aside from being an historical first, was a boring mission, mainly because Armstrong is such a non-excitable man. Even with the alarms during descent, and almost running out of fuel trying to find a place to land, it all had a "business-as-usual" feel to it. NASA doesn't dramatize things, and Armstrong is so cool and deadpan; hours after ejecting from the flying bedstead he just shrugged it off and went back to work like it was no big deal. The exact opposite of a drama queen, and not Hollywood enough.

ASCII

Reaction score
Well, From the Earth to the Moon covered it pretty well, but the fact is that Apollo 11, aside from being an historical first, was a boring mission,

I really like That's All There Is about Apollo 12 myself.
Spider
is pretty good too.