Gaming Fallout 4 Announced

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
RisingFury you are not alone in that, One of my favourite mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas was one that added and changed the foliage to look more alive.

My view on the nukes is that in the fallout universe they where less nukes and more dirty bombs.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Didn't even finish Fallout 3, got bored.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
They sort of got around the problem in Fallout 3 : New Vegas by putting the action in the Mojave desert, a place which has minimal vegetation regardless of a nuclear apocalypse.

Still, there are some places where they put a significant amount of greenery : the North-West section of the map, where you have the "Good Mutants" settlement, features a lot of pines in a quite "preserved" mountain environment.

Also, there is Vault 22, but that one is another experiment gone (very) wrong (or probably very well from it evil designers point of view) :stirpot:

In general, foliage and grass are not framerate friendly, so trying to put as little of it as possible is probably also a sort of trick.

Unstung

Reaction score
Fallout is staged 200 years after the destruction. Enough for the dust to settle and nuclear winter to subside. Nature would reclaim the Earth in that time. Everything would be green.

That's a good point. I don't know what's canon, but I think the excuse would be that the high energy radiation kills or mutates everything. The game's ghouls, super mutants, and gigantic, mutated insects are far from realistic too. Forests of green grass, trees, and flowers aren't exactly the image of a wasteland. Fallout's setting is more fantasy than hard science fiction.