Gaming Fallout 4 Announced

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
"Oh look, you can customize your face!"

Is nobody :censored:ing hyped out of their minds for Settlements and Weapon Mods?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Is it just me, or does it look like this game takes place significantly earlier than previous Fallout's? Especially if the protagonist starts off before the nuclear holocaust.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
At the E3 conference they said they weren't talking about the story, but you get into the vault, events transpire and 200 years later you emerge into the wasteland, the sole survivor of vault 111. Not sure about you but to me, given that most of the vaults are experiments of some kind, this screams stasis accident.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
At the E3 conference they said they weren't talking about the story, but you get into the vault, events transpire and 200 years later you emerge into the wasteland, the sole survivor of vault 111. Not sure about you but to me, given that most of the vaults are experiments of some kind, this screams stasis accident.

Ah, that makes more sense. Playing as a prewar character should be interesting storywise.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it look like this game takes place significantly earlier than previous Fallout's? Especially if the protagonist starts off before the nuclear holocaust.

It's definitely the first time you play in 2077, but Todd Howard said 200 years later, which would be 2277, the year Fallout 3 was set in, while New Vegas was set in 2281.

And 3 and New Vegas were the furthest the timeline ever got, all previous games like the original, 2, Tactics were before that.

So beyond the prologue that is around the time of the Great War, and who knows how long that prologue will be, no, it's around the same time as the other two recent games.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
This is definitely a game I'm going to get, lets just hope I don't need an upgrade to run it.

I do like the idea of building your own settlement, and armour.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I doubt it's an accident. Remember that only a few of the vaults were designed to actually save people. Most were designed to experiment on them :p

Whatever happened was probably intentional :p

Unstung

Reaction score
Reasons I need more powerful hardware:

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Metal Gear Solid V
  4. Arkham Knight
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Cities: Skylines

I may be missing a few. If Human Revolution didn't impress me so much, Fallout 4 would easily be on top. Fallout 4's features shown in the conference were incredible, a huge improvement over past Bethesda games.

Bethesda's entire conference is now available online in HD. The Fallout segment starts at exactly 1:20:04.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Although you were apparently still outside when the bombs fell in the vicinity but still got into the vault which seems like...odd procedure. This must be a massive security risk, opening the vault door while the outside is getting irradiated and taking in people that might turn into ghouls. Fallout 3 had skeletons with signs like "Let us in, we're starving" outside of Vault 101 so while people were outside there nobody ever opened the door, which seems like the correct protocol.

Except if this was maybe intentional but I'm not sure what's to gain from that.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Although you were apparently still outside when the bombs fell in the vicinity but still got into the vault which seems like...odd procedure. This must be a massive security risk, opening the vault door while the outside is getting irradiated and taking in people that might turn into ghouls. Fallout 3 had skeletons with signs like "Let us in, we're starving" outside of Vault 101 so while people were outside there nobody ever opened the door, which seems like the correct protocol.

Except if this was maybe intentional but I'm not sure what's to gain from that.

Most of the radiation immediately after the bombs go off would be fairly negligible. Essentially, unless you're close enough to be killed by the blast/heat, you'll be okay radiation-wise until the actual fallout starts coming down. As far as ghouls go, I'm pretty sure it takes prolonged exposure to radiation to proceed into "ghoulification".

MattBaker

Reaction score
Mind you it's Fallout nuclear weapons, they seem to be somewhat different from the real world equivalent. Remember how Black Mountain in New Vegas looks like? Nuclear missiles fell right on there, make a thirty meter crater but the entire summit is flooded with radiation 200 years later? Or the White House is one crater of rubble while the buildings next to it are still standing.

I feel like Fallout's nuclear bombs are much more nuclear and much less bombs.

And Moira apparently turned into a full blown ghoul the second you detonated the Megaton bomb so apparently if you're close enough it might happen really, really quickly.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Mind you it's Fallout nuclear weapons, they seem to be somewhat different from the real world equivalent. Remember how Black Mountain in New Vegas looks like? Nuclear missiles fell right on there, make a thirty meter crater but the entire summit is flooded with radiation 200 years later? Or the White House is one crater of rubble while the buildings next to it are still standing.

I feel like Fallout's nuclear bombs are much more nuclear and much less bombs.

And Moira apparently turned into a full blown ghoul the second you detonated the Megaton bomb so apparently if you're close enough it might happen really, really quickly.

Yes, I remember reading somewhere that in the alternate timeline nuclear bombs gradually went down in yield and up in number. In Fallout 1's manual it was mentioned that the average yield of a strategic weapon in 2077 was something like 400 kilotons.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Effects of ~20 kT bomb:

hiroshima_1.jpg

hiroshima_bombing_enola_gay.jpg

hiroshima.jpg

400 kT is A LOT.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Effects of ~20 kT bomb:

hiroshima_1.jpg

hiroshima_bombing_enola_gay.jpg

hiroshima.jpg

400 kT is A LOT.

Yes, and you can see that from the state of the world in the Fallout universe. We're talking about going down from yields of 5-15 megatons.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with the fallout universe is that 200 years after the war, everything is still charred and destroyed.

Nature would reclaim the world in 200 years.

But I understand that Bethesda had to stick with the franchise they bought and couldn't just remake it from scratch...

Pripyat:

Pripyat-View.jpg

pripyat.jpg

Pripyat_panorama_2009-001.jpg

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
50,000 people used to live there.. now it's a ghost town.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
The biggest problem I have with the fallout universe is that 200 years after the war, everything is still charred and destroyed.

Nature would reclaim the world in 200 years.

But I understand that Bethesda had to stick with the franchise they bought and couldn't just remake it from scratch...

Pripyat:

Pripyat-View.jpg

pripyat.jpg

Pripyat_panorama_2009-001.jpg

To be fair it sounds like the West Coast is more or less settled down at this point. NCR has fully functioning government and infrastructure for example.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
50,000 people used to live there.. now it's a ghost town.

No, it's not a ghost town. The town is very much alive. Just not filled with humans.

Wildlife has gone... wild. Dog and wolf packs, bears, deer,...

Nature is reclaiming the city and it's being done in a human life time.

Fallout is staged 200 years after the destruction. Enough for the dust to settle and nuclear winter to subside. Nature would reclaim the Earth in that time. Everything would be green.

On the other hand, it looks like this:

xtqv06gmkgerhl7chkfl.jpg

This is my greatest complaint about the Fallout series. it's really unfortunate, but I guess they couldn't convey the nuclear apocalypse by making everything green :p

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
This is my greatest complaint about the Fallout series. it's really unfortunate, but I guess they couldn't convey the nuclear apocalypse by making everything green :p

Interestingly, Wasteland 2 portrayed the ruins of Los Angeles as completely overgrown without sacrificing the post-nuclear feel.

wasteland2-los-angeles.jpg

MattBaker

Reaction score

That's actually something that is pretty exclusive to Fallout 3.