OHM Falcon9 for Orbiter2016

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: brianj

The SpaceX "Falcon 9 Block5" launcher, with recoverable 1st Stage and Fairings. Historical OG2, NROL76, GraceFO and Iridium satellite launch scenarios and test scenarios.

Features optional Ascent-to-Orbit autopilot and 1st Stage Flyback-EDL autopilot, etc. Optional Star48BV kick motor. Recoverable Fairings with RCS, parafoil, autopilot guidance. Payload "attachment" by editing scenario, or in-sim by payload name input.

Config file options: Expendable, No Fairing, Crew Dragon Adaptor, Cargo Dragon Adaptor, Custom Adaptor Mesh, Used Booster Skin, Fairing Recovery, up to 20 definable Attachment Points for multiple payloads.

Also includes LC39A, SLC40 and SLC4E launchpads, LZ landing pads. ASDS booster recovery vessel, FRV fairing recovery vessel. Elev_mod tiles for flat LZ areas at KSC and VAFB.

Installation and operation details in Doc/Falcon9 for Orbiter2016/ folder.

Recommended add-on:
“LC39A SpaceX” modified LC39A launchpad
https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7090

Orbiter2015 Hi-Res Texture Pack for West Coast USA “EarthHi_11_05.zip”
https://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Earth/EarthHi_11_05.zip

Big Thanks to Dr.S, Don, Barry, Fred18, IronRain, Kyle and everyone else.

DOWNLOAD

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Awesome, can't wait to try this out in the 2016 version, thanks!

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
How could there be an Crew Dragon Adapter when the Dragon V2 Addon was not yet in development?

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Thanks.

Never gets old for me :)

Is the "control panel" more useful than a HUD list of available commands? I might try and implement it for Falcon Heavy.

I haven't had time to fire it up in 2016 yet, but if the older 2010 edition Falcon 9 control panel is still the same, then yeah that was a great way to go and easier to me than HUD lists of commands.

FlyingSinger

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice! The EDL is some pretty incredible "nonsense." ;) You've developed your own code to convincingly simulate (in some detail) what the SpaceX team accomplishes in real life. Great work! In combination with the Orbiter 2016 visuals, it's jaw-dropping to watch this happen "live." And even though it's just "normal Orbiter stuff" I've seen for years, the fact that you can switch from the returning first stage to the payload that is happily placing itself into orbit (and then back again) is still amazing to me.

I like the control panel for the configuration type stuff while having HUD prompts for common tasks (like E to toggle +/-z view) is nice too.

Thanks for providing a space "mini-vacation" in the middle of a tough week!

-Bruce

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Bruce, thanks, glad you had fun with it :) Thanks for the feedback re:control panel, I'll try and get it working on the Falcon Heavy. Just caught a small "bug" with 1st stage/saved scenarios just before reentry burn, so will try and upload an update soon (hopefully with proper thrust vectoring for attitude control, at least for 1st stage). I can't keep up with SpaceX developments - I'll have to have a go at recoverable fairings (with rcs, parachutes), maybe after I've got the Falcon Heavy updated.
Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated on OH:
Saved-scenario-during-reentry bug fixed.
Better launchpad venting effects with D3D9 graphics client.
Thrust vectoring on 1st stage (post separation).

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another update, falcon9_o2016_170629 on OH:

Modified grid-fins
Expendable variant (no landing gear or grid fins).

pappy2

Reaction score
Great work thank you "Brian" and all the other creators :thumbup:

184257120170704222101.jpg

553798220170704222231.jpg

273088320170704220935.jpg

188378420170704221414.jpg

892693520170704221049.jpg

510022620170704222649.jpg

Last edited:

partellantas

Reaction score
Hello, can anyone help me? I try to guide the falcon 9 in manual mode, but when I press the J key, it releases the load and not the first stage.

Can the first and second stage be separated in manual mode?

barrygolden

Reaction score
Hey brianj super job with this updated addon

just saw some of the mounting hardware here in TX for the OTV 5/ Falcon so looking forward to seeing this flight in orbiter. you might give some thought to doing the OTV landing.

Orbiter needs an MFD to handle winged landings. I see about three new addons that could use it

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey brianj super job with this updated addon

just saw some of the mounting hardware here in TX for the OTV 5/ Falcon so looking forward to seeing this flight in orbiter. you might give some thought to doing the OTV landing.
Hi Barry,
thanks. Yes, looking forward to the OTV launch.
Orbiter needs an MFD to handle winged landings. I see about three new addons that could use it
It's as much as I can do to make a reentry algorithm for a specific vessel (Dragon works kind of ok!), making a generic MFD for it is a lot more complex. Got some work to do on my Falcon Heavy add-on right now, anyway, so don't know if I'll be able to oblige with an MFD.
Cheers,
Brian

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
Modifying F9 Modules

BrianJ, is it possible for me to modify this addon's modules to change the performance figures such as uprated thrust?

If so, please tell me how to do so.

If not, please explain the reason it's impossible.

Thank you so much.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
if you can compile code, you can change whatever parameters you like. All the code is included with the add-on. You'll need to include DlgCtrl.lib, OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib, gcAPI.lib. Don't think there's another way to do it. Changing thrust or mass will throw the ascent autopilot off, but feel free to modify whatever.
Cheers,
Brian

barrygolden

Reaction score
Hey Brian
Just did the deorbit and landing of your Dragon Cargo, Could the same thing be applied to the Default Atlantis or the X 37 B to deorbit and land ?